What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Why have Clamwin running at installs only, you could drop it completely right and just right click scan with Hitman Pro?

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i want to test nod32:D is it hoggy like some programs i know?:D

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have gone through Eset,Avira,Kaspersky and G Data and all slowed down computers. It is becoming quite clear to me that Prevx is worth its weight in gold for lightness on your computer and detection. Yes it does compliment other products but it is evolving into something others have being trying to obtain, without luck, for quite awhile.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think prevx alone is more than enough but i want to see if the combo works:D what do you think is it good idea to have 2 antiviruses active?any coments?

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I have seen people with two actives AV break there computer to the point where it can't boot.

This is the combo I have been thinking about testing some time:

Rising Antivirus/Prevx or Malwarebytes

Anyone ever run that combo?

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i used prevx and mbam pro but mbam pro slow me down alot:)

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

trojam was correct:D nod32 it is a hogg slow me down alot:)

8. icr

icr Registered Member

It didn't in my case:)

@trjam

What will be your next setup, any of that you mentioned Eset,Avira...... and BTW what is your computer specs?

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i gb ram xp2 home

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Testing Malware Defender on my main machine, running in learning mode the last day, will continue in this mode for another day. :D

11. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Sorry, it wasn't me. Please show me where. Again, I never disabled anything. I think you are thinking of the person who did video tests and disabled some stuff in ESET. Was not me.

12. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Here you are, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265873&page=16&highlight=AV Tests

Summary: You retested ESET 4.2 with web protection enabled and it stopped everything. And you are saying you never disabled something in earlier tests?

March 13th, 2010, 02:21 AM
    TheIgster
    Frequent Poster Join Date: Jul 2009

Re: AV Tests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so a few more small tests tonight. Ran out of time, so I thought I would post what I was able to get to tonight. Some of the products are more of a pain because a restart is required, so I have to reimage my system after the fact, so those installs will have to wait for another time.

Tonight's subjects: The new Clam AV/Immunet Protect combo, Spyware Doctor with Antivirus and ESET's latest Nod32. All software was installed and left to default settings, as well as updated. After each test, a quick scan using Malwarebytes was performed. I have attached the log file for each scan. Note that I did not note what was notified as being detected this time as in number of links missed. I simply browsed to each link and moved on to the next. Only a small sample this time around, 10 malware links posted as of March 12th.

Clam AV/Immunet Protect

Quote:
    Memory Processes Infected: 8
    Memory Modules Infected: 6
    Registry Keys Infected: 5
    Registry Values Infected: 7
    Registry Data Items Infected: 6
    Folders Infected: 2
    Files Infected: 55

Pop ups everywhere, all sorts of things running in the background and in the system tray and even a program trying to uninstall MBAM.

Spyware Doctor with Antivirus

Quote:
    Memory Processes Infected: 5
    Memory Modules Infected: 3
    Registry Keys Infected: 3
    Registry Values Infected: 7
    Registry Data Items Infected: 4
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 20

Certainly better than Clam. I had to respond to several block requests, which I did, but there were still processes running in the background and the task manager was disabled. No pop ups or system tray issues though.

ESET Nod32

Quote:
    Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 0

Nod32 did extremely well this time. Stopped everything in it's tracks. Nothing in sight and the machine running exactly the way it should.

So, that's it for tonight. There are a couple of others I would like to test, but I'm still thinking that a 50 link showdown between some of the top performers might be fun. Perhaps, Avast, Kaspersky and Nod32? I'll give it some thought.
    Attached Files Clam.txt (9.2 KB, 13 views)
    Spyware Doctor.txt (4.9 KB, 4 views)
    Eset.txt (853 Bytes, 39 views)

#382 March 13th, 2010, 04:35 AM
    Matthijs5nl
    Regular Poster Join Date: Jan 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to say thank you for this retest of ESET 4.2, and leaving it on default settings, since turning of web protection actually means turning of all protection, ESET web protection is not the same as like a web-shield in Avast. Also ESET 4.2 improved over 4.0.

This just shows Kaspersky and ESET are still the kings of the anti-virus world, which they are for 5 years now. With Avast as the good free alternative.

About your idea to do a bigger test on ESET, Kaspersky and Avast 5 free. I think it is an great idea. Thanks in advance.

March 13th, 2010, 05:16 AM
    trjam
    Incredibly Massive Poster Join Date: Aug 2006

thanks for the retest of Eset with all default settings. Very impressive.

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Okay only Hitman Pro ;)

14. xnevermore

xnevermore Registered Member

weird eset smart security latest didnt slow me down unlike when i tried kaspersky and panda inernet security. i like my nod now its much lighter. try to disable the startup scanner maybe thats the one you didnt notice slowing your computer down during on boot.

15. alchemyllc

alchemyllc Registered Member

Hello All,

I have been a lurker on this thread for years dating back to 2007. I am a big fan of all of your work especially JMonge, Kees, KJDemuth and LoneWolf. My security setup should be familiar to you all as it is constructed based upon your research and recommendations over the years. For that, I thank you. The only time that I have ever had any issues is when I went out "slumming without protection":D . I have learned my lesson about that needless to say.

Today, I have a question for JMonge. Why did you drop AppGuard ultimately in favor of PEGuard? PE does seem like a nifty little program. Very light but effective. Thanks.

RESIDENT:
    OA 4.0.0.15

Prevx v3
    Dr. Web v6
    Defensewall v2.56
    Startup Monitor
    Sandboxie
    PEGuard

ON DEMAND:

MBAM
    HitMan Pro
    SpywareBlaster

FIREFOX:

Keyscrambler, Ghostery, TrackMeNot, WOT

16. progress

progress Guest

... and then he installed the superior lightweight product GData :D

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dont like nod32 and for the question for alchemyllc i will soon start with appguard again;) this new realease will include the MBR protection and maybe the password protection

note:alchemyllc dont forget i have 3 computers and getting another one so i need defensewall prevx appguard and pe guard

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

@alchemyllc also Pe Guard will bring new stuff;) very usefull stuff:) wait for it and see for your self:D

19. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I see a lot of new security setups over this thread... I wish to see re-edition of old Kees's thread "How efficient is your security setup? (comparative contest)" - because you can have tons of security software and your protection will be the best, you can also have only few applications and your protection still will be outstanding strong... not quantity but quality is important, don't forget about this.

20. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

In spite of all the qualitative setups u also need a qualitative common sense...This will gonna prevent you from 99% nasty threats.:)

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, this may not be an exact answer to the OP, but I have recently pimped my Firefox with ABP, NoScript, WOT (it already has Site Advisor) notwithstanding those I also use SpywareBlaster.

Admittedly I don't use Firefox much for general browsing but I reckon, bar sandboxing, I am virtually bullet-proofed for when I have to download updated installers & the like. Now I am not so concerned about unfamiliar downloading mirrors or iffy looking sites. I have SpywareBlaster as a first line of defence against drive-bys, the double check of WOT & SA, control over scripts, blocking of ads & Firefox conveniently scans anything actually downloaded. :cool:

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

My short list :D

Behind Router/FW, Off line Harddisk for image/data backup (paragon/Syncback)

Wife's PC (XP)
    - Admin
    - DefenseWall V3
    - Avast Free File shield deselected, Avast is triggered by OS when wife clicks on an e-mail or downloaded file with executable type of attachements
    - IE8 (smartscreen/XSS/popup filter, script = click hijacking protection)

Son's Gaming PC (Vista X64)
    - Windows FW two way
    - UAC + Norton UAC + icacls running internet aps Medium Level Security (you get no UAC propmt now)
    - My regsitry download / drive by protection tweak
    - Trusteer Rappport Free + Keyscrambler Free
    - IE8 (smartscreen/XSS/popup filter, click hijacking protection, zone elevation protection) in protected mode policy sandbox
    - Avast Free File shield deselected, Avast is triggered by OS when wife clicks on an e-mail or downloaded file with executable type of attachements
    - Windows Defender with on execution and drivers/service agents disabled (acts as quiet protection of regsitry for spyware)
    - Hitman Pro on demand

My Play PC
    - Look 'n Stop
    - LUA + SRP + ACL (user space registry and folders)
    - Chromium (internal sandbox, --safer-plugins --incognito) with Site Advisor/Wot/Adsweep/Bitdefender quickscan/New tab beahviour
    [note with new feature of chromium :thumb: see pic]
    - Hitman Pro on demand

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  23. alchemyllc

alchemyllc Registered Member

jmonge, thanks for the heads up on both appguard and pe. I also have more than one pc and have appguard in one and pe in the other. I like both programs and did not know that there was a new version of appguard. Please forgive a noob question, but what is it about having several pc's that dictates your use of the "suite of defensewall prevx appguard and pe guard"? Is it because all of these are basically "set it and forget it" kinds of protection, so that you are not continually running scans in multiple pcs? Thanks.

24. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I tried Process guard with the rest of my setup. I found that it was redundant with OA++. Pretty much everytime something popped up with PG, OA would kick in. Sometimes it was vice versa. That and the fact that PG would ask me everything that wasn't whitelisted from the learning period. When a program asks me if my screen saver is ok....is about the time I think about ditching it. I'm all for security and don't want things running unless I know about it but I also like convience. Its a fine line to walk. Depends on which you want more of.

25. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Some members have mentioned use of Hitman Pro as a context menu scanner. Please note though that Hitman Pro's context menu scan does not scan subfolders of any folder scanned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.