What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If ATI fails, I have nothing anymore, I even lost winXPproSP2 and FDISR.
    In that case :
    1. I have to re-install winXPproSP2 from scratch
    2. I have to re-install FDISR
    3. Recover my archived off-line snapshot, which can be still intact, while my frozen snapshot is corrupted.
    4. and start from there to create my on-line frozen snapshot again.
    If my off-line snapshot is also corrupted, than I have to start all over again.
    This is of course not supposed to happen. ATI never failed on me.

My off-line snapshot works like an off-line computer and is always malware-free.
    If this snapshot ever gets infected, it will prove that some malware was able to jump from my online snapshot to my off-line snapshot and that is bad news for all FDISR-users.
    For the moment I assume that malwares remain inside each snapshot and can't infect other snapshots, until the opposite is proven.

Yes I ditched AE, because I couldn't use all settings to get a full protection.
    A frozen snapshot is nothing but a copy/update between two snapshots and during a copy/update FDISR starts adding, removing and replacing objects and these actions are not allowed by AE, if all settings are used and that caused many errors in all copy/updatings. You can use AE to a certain level, but not all levels.

Prevx1 works different and is more flexible too, but I had to anchor (= exclude) Prevx1 in the frozen snapshot to keep changed settings and updatings. So the only weak point in my frozen snapshot is Prevx1 itself.

This is all theory of course and needs to be proven in practice over a longer period than just a few days.
    That's why I still use a frozen snapshot to clean my snapshot completely, because I don't really trust Prevx1 yet.
    If I don't put Prevx1 in an extreme situation, I will never know how good Prevx1 really is.
    So this is just the beginning. :)

2. muf

muf Registered Member

Well Cookie Crusher is the one that runs as a proxy. Not keen on that. It clocks up 30 to 40 mb of memory while in use, hasn't been updated in 3 years and the author's website is no longer active(as in gone). All in all i could not bring myself to try based upon these findings.

The only popups that get blocked are the one's i should be getting. If i click a link in a page to open a new window both Ad Muncher and SAB are intelligent enough to allow them. They appear to recognise legit popups. I tested here http://www.popuptest.com/ and i don't get one popup. But the the one's here http://www.popuptest.com/goodpopups.html are all allowed. This is in keeping with my experience while using them. The bad one's are blocked, the legit one's are allowed. Works well. And i use IE6 with all scripts, activeX, java. Well the whole shabang are enabled basically.

muf

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

oh ok. in that case your Layer-7 shouldve been rewritten as: Reinstall Windows and start from scratch. or something like that.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Indeed, I should have expressed myself better. I always lose my concentration on the subject with all these translations. Next time better. :D

5. WSFuser

update:

added
    changed
    removed

Resident:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (Previously Kaspersky Internet Security)
    Outpost Firewall Pro
    Prevx1

On-Demand:

ewido anti-spyware micro scanner

Other Security / System Hardening:

nLite'd Windows XP (with service tweaking based on TweakHound's guide)
    Xable's Light Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack
    Harden-it
    SocketLock
    Windows Worms Doors Cleaner
    xpy
    Process Explorer
    Firefox extensions: adblock filterset.g updater, adblock plus, javascript options, mcafee siteadvisor, noscript, permit cookies, and popup blocker settings

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I find it interesting that you have outpost and prevx1 that setup must of cost alot.

7. Antus

Antus Registered Member

Currently I am using Kaspersky Security Suite
    Trojan Remover
    IP Net

8. WSFuser

do u mean price or computer resources?

i received a free Prevx1 license and im just using teh trial of Outpost Pro.

as for resources, my computer can handle it :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well both really. the price is alot but since you trying outpost and got free prevx1 its ok.

i have noticed that some people use both prevx1 and online armor because they both protect against different things. now if fsis2007 is light enough i could get one or both of em. or if i get the antivir suite i can get both.

10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Lodore, can I ask what is your infatuation with F-Secure? I mean we all know it is real heavy and some people aren't even able to run it fine on their computers, why do you use it? Don't you think antivir or kaspersky would be better choice and probably lighter? I notice in other threads you ask for resource usage and such of other apps when F-Secure uses way too much it self.

dja2k

11. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

firewall Vital Security
    intrusion Snort, Abtrusion Security
    hips System Safety Monitor
    network monitor CommView
    web filtering Proxomitron
    browser Firefox, IE secured
    encryption TrueCrypt
    antivirus Kaspersky Online Scan
    anti malware A2, Ewido Online Scan

other VM surfing

Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit

FirstDefence

VMWare Workstation but hammering Parallels Workstation and Parallels Compressor.

Administrator's Pak

DeviceTree
    ProcessExplorer
    Autoruns

RootkitRevealer
    SVV
    DarkSpy
    IceSword
    GMER
    F-Secure BlackLight

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i know it uses to much resource and i would be much better with either kav nod32 antivir etc. but i have a license in till December with them. so after that im
    gonna finally stop using there bloated product. if antivir suite is cheap i will even give my dad the money for it on the day on release. i cant wait to say goodbye to it. antivir suite and online armor or prevx1 is the setup.

i have worked out that i can replace f-secures massive 18 processes with just 4.

antivir= 2 processes
    online armor=2
    or prevx1=2

i hope you can see im bidding my time and dont wanna waste to much money

13. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Now I understand lodore....:D

dja2k

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.

I have finally decided on a suite. it is antivir suite and when my license runs out on f-secure i am getting it! then it should be happy times from then on.

but i still want to know online armor vs prevx1?

there should be no more digs about f-secure from me and i hope you are pleased :)
    i will soon finally move on... in December if not before.

15. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Its not that I want to be pleased, its that I thought you were contradicting yourself by running F-Secure and then asking about resources for other programs like if you were concerned about memory and resource usage.

Welll lodore about online armor and prevx1, you are on your own my friend. I beta tested both, love them both, have them both running side by side, and wouldn't ditch either any time soon. :p

dja2k

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

about the pleased bit was to people who have said that i bad mouth f-secure to much. and ok i will work out which one I prefer.

with antivir suite i would be able to use both. but then theres the price factor.

it seems a little over kill to me so due to price i would have to choose one.

17. WSFuser

like dja2k, ive used and like both programs. prevx1 is good for set-it-and-forget-it (ABC mode) but OA is easy too (setup wizard). both programs are improving and offer great protection.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup thats why its hard to choose. i have had a little trial of online armor and was impressed. i haven't tryed prevx1 yet because ive heard its hard to uninstall.

19. WSFuser

ive had no uninstall problems yet and prevx1 is running smooth.

of course any problems u do have, should be reported.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.

either prevx1 or online armor will both be great along side antivir suite when i get it.

i did notice that with online armor there was a few pop ups to start with. like e.g. when i first played my fav online game it said trying to start Java are you sure you want to do this? which i said yes since i know its safe. but it is good that it blocks it all so you can be given the choice so if you like e..g. typed Google in wrong in the address bar and it took you to wrong site it would block content then you wouldn't get any damage. but if you know its safe you can make it remember. does prevx1 have a web scanner?
    prevx1 might be better because then I dont have to worry when my parents are on the pc clicking on wrong thing.
    HIPS with someone who dont know what there doing can mean dangerous things can happen. but i will still do a proper trial of both, when i get antivir suite.

after reading it seems that prevx1 will cleanup after malware . But I dont know if online armor does?
    does online armor just block? allow? but not cleanup?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  21. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Look n stop firewall ( with phantoms ruleset)
    cyberhawk
    firefox with no script/ adblock plus/ adblock filterset.G updater/ mcafee siteadviser
    Kaspersky online scanner

now and again i will load up a new antivirus or beta to try out , but have found that there is no security like practicing and learning from safe surfing

22. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Prevx1 has an IE Extension called "Prevx1 Malicious URL Detector" Also about Online Armor cleaning up for itself, it has registry tracking if you chose to track changes when you accept any specific program to execute. About your parents, you can always install both prevx1 and online armor and just shut off either or when you prefer.

dja2k

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks I thought there would be a sorta web scanner thing.
    and i think i would only be able to get one.

probably prevx1 because of my parents. but still haven't decided.

prevx1 has the startup scan which i like. and i can put it on ABC mode and then my parents wouldn't have to answer questions.

but i do like online armor with the fact you can block all the content on the the website if you dont know if they safe.

24. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

See if you guys can answer this for me....

One of my friends has both licenses for Appdefend and Regdefend, but he wants to use System Safety Monitor instead since its newer and more development. I told him that Ghost Security Suite is enough, but he is a nag. Anyways, what dio you think, GSS vs SSM? Also should he pay for System Safety Monitor or the free version is enough?

I am not to familiar with SSM, have tried it, but hasn't been kept in my setup for long.

dja2k

25. WSFuser

i havent tried SSM but i do like GSS (except for the custom theme). its protection is easily customizeable and it doesnt use a lot of resources.

OTOH, the free SSM would be good for people with tight budgets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.