What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

new set up for testing;)

Avira Free
    Mamutu
    Prevx3

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

what no defensewall :eek:

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Defensewall is in my wife's pc;)

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I would rather run something alone in conjunction with DW (mostly for convenience - I'm sure DW alone works great). Why? Saves precious resources and truly gives you bullet-proof protection IMHO - that's why policy-based protection is the key. ;)

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i gave MD a litle break:) and testing mamutu,but already missed some malwareo_O

6. raven211

Change of plans for me personally... and this is a temporary setup. Till DW v3 is released (after my current trial of v2 has expired, ofc), I'll probably run a LUA with SuRun (and before that set up desired rights for LUA in different parts of my OS and locations) in conjunction with either Avira AntiVir Personal, or Mamutu.

Once DW3 is released, I'll test that to see how it suits me and decide if I want to purchase it or not.

EDIT: The setup I decided to use (for now) is there - and I definitely like it and feel secure. To be honest I've not received a virus on my current OS installation, or the many previous - running under a LUA simply gives me peace of mind, in case any danger would actually appear, and peace of mind is very important for me as a computer-user.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  7. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Norton 360 v3

and Sandboxie for browsers and IMs :D :thumb:

Stable and light as a feather

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ok i am done with avira:) now it is prevx3 with heuristic on maximum and mamutu in paranoid mode,so far so good:thumb:

9. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Added something new.

• Shadow Defender - New
    • Prevx
    • Online Armor Premium ... Firewall + HIPS
    • Sandboxie

Shadow Defender seems to be working fine with what I have. Amazed how low on resources it is. I don't know why, but I imagined there would be some disk/CPU usage going on, I'm using SD to protect 2 drives and 4 partitions ... but it never even flickers for either.

shadow defender.JPG

Shadow Defender is a gem. I like the idea of keeping the system clear of unwanted writes to drive and clutter temp files, for that alone I'd buy it. I gave it a whirl by installing in shadow mode UBCD and all the run files needed, XP set up, SP2, it came to 1gb + of space in all. Soon as I'd made the disk, I rebooted, and everything was gone. Hassles and clutter gone. I like the way you can add a file to be kept whilst still in shadow mode, Returnil doesn't allow this option - only thing about Returnil that bugged me was this.

$35.00 - £21.34 lifetime license is a pretty good deal

10. Follower

Follower Guest

[2009 /08/21/Fri]

• Vista Home Premium K SP2 (32bit)
    • NAT/SPI Router Firewall
    • Avira AntiVir Premium 9.0.0.446
    • Acronis True Image 2009 Home
    • FireFox 3.5.2 (+ Adblock Plus)

11. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

No more DefenseWall? Replaced by OA HIPS? Impressions?

Do you run ShadowDefender and Sandboxie in the same time? If yes, is the whole system virtualized by SD and then Sandboxie ran within it, or you sandbox SD (like our forum mate ssj sandboxes VirtualBox)?

12. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

Realtime: Avira Antivir Personal Free (upgrade supressed) and SuperAntiSpyware Pro

Wired router firewall.

Manual Scans: Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes'

13. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

I dont think its possible to run sandbox SD, which virtualises the entire system, unlike virtual box, which when you think about it is just a program. I would think that if SD were sandboxed it wouldnt have the access necessary to virtualise the entire system.

14. raven211

Testing the new beta of TF to see if I've any better luck with that than with 4.5.

15. Keyboard_Commando

I still have Defensewall on my laptop - with LUA and Win7's firewall, bit of an experiment for me as I haven't really bothered with LUA for any significant time. But yeah on my main computer, that I use for gaming and browsing, I have got OA's Premium firewall, got it for free from Gizmos site :p ... I have only really got any use for its firewall, tbh. I use it to block nearly 3/4 of the world.

I basically googled and blocked the malware producing nations top 20 list and any nations with crazy dictators running them. :D

You can configure OA's HIPS part to hardly ever pop-up and get annoying. In the program section it's simply a matter of configuring them as either Trusted or Untrusted, and then adding Run Safer to internet facing apps. The Untrusted apps are the ones that only ever pop-up with a request for something, all of which I hardly ever run.

I just let Sandboxie get on with its job with the browsers protection - sandbox rules are good enough. I have added Sandboxie & Shadow Defender to OA's protection exclusion list and let them get on with it. So right now the whole computer is virtualized apart from a few exclusions.

My Shadow Defender exclusion list looks like this:

C:\docs and settings\username\Folder Options - View - show hidden files \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*whatever file name you have*\bookmarks.html
    C:\Docs and settings\username\desktop
    C:\Docs and settings\username\My Documents\My Pictures
    C:\Programs files\*game player profile*
    C:\Programs files\Tall Emu\ - the whole folder I have left as I don't know the config location for OA.
    C:\Windows\Sandboxie.ini
    C:\Windows\Erdnt\

It works all ok so far. Just a case of remembering to commit files for keeps.

16. Dregg Heda

What internet facing apps do you have other than your browsers? I assume the browsers arent run safered since sbie has drop my rights?

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hi i am testing new threatfire 4.6 beta;)
    note:i just notice i have 3 beahabiour blockers on board:D

18. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hardcore :D

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

let's see how my testing goes,so far mamutu jumps before the other 2 when it's unknown but always prevx is blocking malware when recognize;)

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Full List - August 21, 2009 - Updated , Added , Removed

Vista Home Premium SP2 (UAC OFF \ WD OFF)

Network
    Two Linksys Routers (DD-WRT Firmware) in WDS Mode
    WEP 128-Bit Encryption & Wireless MAC Filtering Enabled
    SPI Firewall Enabled

Resident
    Online Armor ++ 3.5.0.41 Beta (Paid)
    Sandboxie 3.39.09 Beta (Paid)

On-Demand

Shadow Defender 1.1.0.278 (Paid)
    Active@ Disk Image 3.2.6 (Paid)

Browser, Immunization, Tweaks

Firefox 3.5.2 (Ad-Block Plus, CustomizeGoogle, Better Privacy, TACO, WOT, ShowIP, TrackMeNot)
    KeyScrambler Personal 2.5.0 & RoboForm Pro 6.9.95 (IE & FF)
    Malware Patrol's Block List (via Hosts File)
    IP Blocklist file for Online Armor, Bluetack Blocklists (Level 1,2,3 for P2P)
    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2 (Full Immunization w/ Global Hooks)
    Spyware Blaster 4.2 (All Protection Enabled + Customblocking.txt)
    Vista Services Optimizer 1.1.42.2 (Manual Tuneup)
    Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2.0 (Customized)
    SpeedGuide.net Vista TcpIp Patch 1.3
    TCP-Z 2.5.1.50 (TCPZ Driver Installed)
    Greatis Reanimator 6.1.6.13 (Disk Protection - Enabled)

dja2k

21. Keyboard_Commando

For Online Armor's "Run Safer" dropped rights I have added PDF readers, chat messengers, Windows Media player, Quicktime Player, Winamp, all the browsers, everything 3rd party to Windows that will connect outbound is added. It doesn't really matter if you use Run Safer and Sandboxies dropped rights together, it's just protection when I do updates and browsing outside the sandbox. The updates still work ok and install - with Run Safer enabled, though I disabled run safer with OA for Windows Updater launch.

You can right click enable/disable Run Safer opening a browser/etc now, with OA, so it's there as and when you need.

22. Dregg Heda

I see. Thanks!

23. SafetyFirst

Windows XP SP3 32 bits:

removed - added

Resident:

- Avira AntiVir
    - Online Armor Premium
    - PrivacyKeyboard
    - Zemana AntiLogger

On demand:

- DefenseWall
    - Sandboxie
    - Shadow Defender
    - SpyReveal

Any suggestions?

24. Creer

Creer Registered Member

SafetyFirst I'm just curious - how do you use DW as on-demand application?

25. SafetyFirst

When I don't want it to run I right-click the DW icon in the system tray and tick "Disable protection". It stays like that across reboots until I enable it again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.