What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

It's not that difficult - just eliminate the network tweaks one at a time until functionality is restored. If you carefully read the document you will see that there is very little to worry about.

Harden OS + AppGuard + Adguard = no need to add 164 layers of rubbish to protect system ! :thumb:

2. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Many Thanks :)
    Is Cyberfox your default browser ?

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

4. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Yes. I use Cyberfox by default for every day surfing. If I want to watch movies then I use Edge.

5. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

no Chrome or Firefox ?
    IN W10privacy can I turn off all ?

6. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

No Chrome or Firefox. I have SSD system, so Cyberfox is very fast on my system. Chrome and Firefox not so much.

With Chrome you can configure the experimental settings so that it runs inside Windows AppContainer - so Chrome is useful to some.

Since I use AppGuard, I don't worry about which browser is most secure.

7. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Cyberfox 64 bit ? of course ?

8. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

In spite of W10Privacy and ESO do You change in according to https://duo.com/assets/pdf/bring-your-own-dilemma.pdf ?

9. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I do all the network tweaks except the last few. I allow error reporting and other telemetry to M$ -- as they have been using it to fix things on W10.

I don't do any in section 9.

I'm not worried about privacy, but network vulnerabilities; a;; the stuff before section 9 is a network risk.

Read the PDF carefully.

10. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Yes. 64 - Intel. Use AMD if you have AMD system.

11. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Again thanks
    now I am going to change chrome on Cyberfox :)
    YA but I forgot ask about adguard ? Any config I need after install ?

12. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Adguard I just block "acceptable ads." Other than that, I have not had to do anything with it.

13. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

So nice.
    To Cyberfox can i add Sandboxie ?

14. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Sure. I used Cyberfox and Sandboxie. Sometimes Cyberfox or Windows Update will cause problems with Sandboxie, but if you report any breakage on Sandboxie forum it usually gets fixed.

15. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

but now You don't use with Sandboxie ?

16. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

No. I don't use Sandboxie. Sometimes I will install it and play with it for a while. I have lifetime license. So every so often I check out what has changed.

17. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Point taken. But what to play with then? ;)
    I added vulnerable processes to NVT ERP (you pointed to Florian's list before), I think simplest to add them there than in AG ... did you do this @hjlbx? As Guarded Apps?
    If I move to Win 10 shortly, will definitely look at these tips, have bookmarked.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  18. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Sometimes I will see a long run where nothing gets broken, but for the most part, a browser or Windows update will come along that messes with SBIE.

Whose fault is it ? -- Invincea's or Google\Mozilla\Microsoft's ? It can't be Invincea's... because they have no idea what Google\Mozilla\Microsoft are about to unleash upon humanity...

19. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

OK
    Cyberfox needs any config ?
    I see that is portable version. Do You use normal or portable ?

20. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I use Cyberfox out of the box "as is." I use installed version, not portable.

21. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

ok Now I am sure in everything :)
    super

22. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

Can you maybe post some (all) screenshots of your settings in W10Privacy?

23. justenough

justenough Registered Member

My security setup is still Sandboxie and HitmanPro.Alert.

24. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

All programs that I run in an everyday basis, run sandboxed every time. None of this programs have issues with Sandboxiie. None of my programs require continuous maintenace by Invincea to run properly under SBIE. A windows update breaking any of my programs working sandboxed its rare but it has happened. The only time it happened for me was with Firefox in 2010, that's a lot of years ago. And I don't recall any other of my every day program being broken by Windows update. W10 is a little different. Is a new system that is continuously changing, and like someone already told you, they don't tell anyone in advance what this changes are going to be. So, issues between W10 and SBIE are to be expected, at least until W10 is pretty solid and changes little.

I think the key for having a pleasant experience using Sandboxie is really simple. All you have to do is get in the habit of using programs that are known to get along well with Sandboxie. And stay away from using programs that don't like to run sandboxed or can not be installed in a sandbox. That includes security programs that dont like running along SBIE and some dont. You have to make choices. But getting SBIE to work nicely and smoothly is easy if you follow what I am saying in this paragraph.

Bo

25. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

W7 Pro SP1 x64

Firewall & Anti-Virus:
    Router NAT/SPI (Password Protected)
    Emsisoft Internet Security 11.7.0.6394 (with hpHosts file)

Blocking/Hardening:
    AppGuard 4.3.14.5
    HitmanPro.Alert 3.1.10 Build 370 Beta
    Norton ConnectSafe DNS (Malware, Phishing)

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.