What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I don't use and will never use Chrome. I occasionally clean up someone else's system. I have no idea of how the system in question got infected, I can just comment on the removal. Firefox was easy, I just had to uninstall the adware extensions. With Chrome, it involved completely unininstalling Chrome, manually wiping its data folders and doing a clean install.

Locked down as in using a tightened LUA and controlling where code can execute on a system. If done right, the system is exploit resistant and most will fail on it. It is a much more effective security approach than running Windows from an administrator account with bloated and time limited security suites. This time honored approach started with UNIX.

TOR uses Firefox because it is more configurable and adaptable to TOR usage. Privacy is just as an important part of security as stopping exploits. Without privacy there is no security.

The only time I tried Chrome, I rejected it out of hand when it installed itself in the user folder where code is not allowed to execute on my systems and not in program files directory like a normal Windows app. It gave me no option to change the install directory and that was enough for me to can it. I've never used it since. It might be more secure for some but it violated one of my guiding security principles: Read/write and execute privileges are mutually exclusive for limited users and anything I install has to go into the right directory.

2. So you locked all the folders a limited user has write access to in Windows also?

I am not using FF now, but when it offers a sandbox on Windows, I will try it out,

3. MisterB

I am referring to Windows. Where a limited user is allowed to write, no code is allowed to run. There are a lot of holes to plug in Windows. A default Windows installation allows limited users full control of their personal folders. I change that to read/write no execute.

A sandbox is not only thing that can secure a browser. One can always add a third party sandbox if thats necessary.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I don't know how long ago you've tried Chrome but they are offering alternate installer that you can find here: https://support.google.com/installer/answer/126299?hl=en.
    Installer for all users installs application in program files directory.
    This is just FYI.

5. No I was referring to all the subfolders of %Windows% a limited user has write and execute access to. :shifty:

6. MisterB

In Xp I reset the whole Windows and Program files folders from top down. In later versions I reset folders in %Windows% individually. Windows is a bit problematic in that regard. The default permissions are better in later versions but still not that good and there are more adverse affects--parts of the OS not working right--if you just lock down the whole Windows folder from the top down. Ideally you want all executables in one default location and all user data in another. Having to deal with so many exceptions is a pain.

Even a default Windows LUA is better than running from an admin account and every hole plugged from that point on is a decrease in the chance of an exploit succeeding. Add javascript whitelisting to that and you have a system that most common exploits are likely to fail on.

7. MisterB

I'm aware of the that but it made a bad first impression. I gave the objective reason, the subjective one was that I found it "pushy" and that impression hasn't changed. I prefer software that I can be pushy with and change around until it suits me.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I have never found chrome to be "pushy".I have my own reasons for not using it at the moment but it has never pushed anything.
    This anti-chrome following is quite amusing and rather ill-founded.I would sooner use chrome which is from a large reputable company than some of the "clones" which could be operated from god knows whom.:rolleyes:

9. MisterB

The company is another reason I don't use Chrome. I use Google apps and I prefer to use client software from another source. I'm already using too much Google software at the server end.

What is pushed is Chrome itself. Every time I load Google from another browser I get the upgrade to Chrome button. No thanks. I prefer to keep using the outdated Opera Presto browser and Firefox.

10. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64

Firewall & Anti-Virus:
    Router NAT/SPI (Password Protected)
    Emsisoft Internet Security 10.0.0.5409

Blocking/Hardening:
    AppGuard 4.2.8.1
    Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium 1.06.1.1019
    Norton ConnectSafe DNS (Malware, Phishing)

11. Minimalist

Windows 8.1 x64

Network
    Router with NAT
    Windows firewall

System
    Software Restriction Policies
    User Account Control
    ESET Nod32 AV

Backup
    Macrium Reflect

Browser
    uBlock Origin

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What router do you use, Minimalist, if you don't mind my asking?
    And did you notice that a new version of uBlock was just recently disabled by Chrome because it required new permissions in order to run?

13. Minimalist

I use no-name router provided by my ISP. I've used Asus in past but I don't see a need to have separate router right now.
    Yes, I've noticed that uBlock was disabled today. Of course I reenabled it :)

14. justenough

justenough Registered Member

AppGuard
    EXE Radar Pro
    HitmanPro.Alert

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  15. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

June 3, 2015 - Updated, Added, Removed

Network
    • Two Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100PAS Routers (Stock Firmware)
    • Four Netgear PowerLine AV 500 Adapters
    • Wired Cat5e Connection between both Routers
    • WPA2-PSK AES Encryption
    • SPI & NAT Firewalls Enabled
    • OpenDNS Configuration
    Computers
    • Desktop - Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64
    • Laptop - Windows 8.1 x64
    Built-In Security
    • USER ACCOUNT CONTROL: HIGHEST SETTING
    • EMET 5.2: MAXIMUM SECURITY SETTINGS
    • WINDOWS SMART SCREEN: ENABLED
    • WINDOWS DEFENDER: DISABLED
    • WINDOWS FIREWALL: DISABLED
    Resident
    • Emsisoft Internet Security 10.0.0.5409 Beta (Paid)
    • Appguard 4.2.8.1 Beta (Paid) - Medium
    • Sandboxie 4.18 (Paid) - Sandboxie Container Folder on RAMDisk
    • Adguard Premium 5.10.2029.6341 Beta (Paid)
    • DNSCrypt 0.0.6 - HTTPS Enabled
    • DNSCrypt Windows Service Manager 0.2 - DNSCrypt.eu Denmark
    On-Demand
    • PeerBlock 1.2 (P2P Blocking List)
    • Shadow Defender 1.4.0.578** (Paid)
    • Macrium Reflect Home Edition 6.0 Built 638* (Paid)
    • VMWare Workstation 11.1.0 build-2496824** (Paid)
    Browser, Immunization, Tweaks
    • Chrome 43.0.2357.65 x64 (HTTPS-Everywhere, Gmelius) - Chrome Profile Folder on RAMDisk and Sandboxed
    • Opera Beta 30.0.1835.49 (HTTPS-Everywhere, Gmelius)
    • Homepage and Search Providers set to Startpage (Chrome and Opera)
    • CCleaner Professional Edition 5.06.5219 (Paid)
    • LastPass 3.1.92 Premium (Chrome and Opera)
    • Spyware Blaster 5.0 (All Protection Enabled + Customblocking.txt)
    • CryptoPrevent Premiium Edition 7.4.20 (Paid)
    *Macrium Reflect Home Edition installed in both Desktop & Laptop - Backup Template: Grandfather, Father, Son
    **VMware Workstation only installed on Desktop \ Shadow Defender only installed on Laptop

dja2k

16. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Thinking of adding NVT again, yes, overkill , but I like it, works perfectly with all my other programs.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  17. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Been a long time since I posted. But, I'm at a crossroads on a couple of security programs and wanted to get y'all's opinion on my set up now and if you think 1.) I have redundancies or 2.) have holes in my security set up. This forum has been a huge help in the past and hope you won't mind me asking some opinions again.

Anyway, without further ado:

Windows 7 64bit
    Avast Pro AntiVirus
    HitmanPro.Alert
    Outpost Firewall
    Malwarebytes Premium
    WinPatrol
    (not sure this qualifies as security program) - Secunia PSI
    edit: forgot, I do have SpyWare blaster still.

On Demand:
    HitmanPro
    SuperAntiSpyware

And Macirum Reflect backup(version 5)

Mainly, just wondering if this still looks like a good setup. To show you how long it's been since I posted, I used to have Prevx, and really loved it. Now I understand it's Webroot? Is it the same developers and still a great product?

Like I mentioned, I'm a novice at security programs and what little I know, I got from this forum. The last few years, I've been too busy to keep up with all the new products and have really just renewed all my old programs every year. So, with all the new threats out there, wanted to stop in an make sure I'm as covered as I can be.

I really appreciate the feedback.

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

SAS = Meh!

19. Minimalist

@Cherub
    Your setup looks good to me. If I would have to make changes I would remove SAS and SpywareBlaster and add adblocker to your browser (Chrome or Firefox).

20. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Agree, add Ublock for an adblocker. WinPatrol, better options available. I'll let the experts list them.

21. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

If they all get on together then why not ? One person`s overkill is somebody else s peace of mind.

Regards Eck:)

22. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Replaced ZAM with MBAM Pro! Something about Development of ZAM...it seems to be in a Constant Beta State...and losing Cloud Connectivity...not Good...not quite ready for Prime Time. Also still in Service, WSA Security Plus and AppGuard. The Ol' Light and Lethal! Sincerely...Securon

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Page, uBlock Origin is always disabled when I launch Chrome, and I find it annoying... Is it going to remain so for long?
    My security hasn't changed for years: Windows 8 (64 bit) and Vista Ultimate (32 bit), UAC set at MAX, Router, Windows Firewall controlled by Avira,Windows Smart Screen on, Avira Pro (without mail module), Sandboxie 4.18 with Start/Run and Internet Access Restrictions.

On demand: Shadow Defender 1.4.0.578, Samsung Recovery and StorageCraft ShadowProtect for backup/images. I don't use anymore MBAM and Hitman Pro as they've never detected anything in the last 3 years.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hey Osaban, all I can recommend is for you to post this question in the dev's uBlock thread, here. One other member recently posted about the same issue. For me, when I got a pop up screen asking if I wanted to grant uBlock permission, I simply said yes. Perhaps you did not see that pop up? Good luck, my friend.

Edit in: You may be able to fix it by observing your Privacy settings, per the image. If your "Predict network actions" settings is checked, you can try unchecking. I could be way off on this, but I read about it here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Good suggestions my friend... Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.