What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Yes, I agree

2. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Yes they are very affordable, even a Chromebox for a desktop experience.

regards.

3. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Windows 8.1/64 bit

AVG Internet security 2015
    HMPA
    NVT. EXE Radar Pro
    MBAM Premium
    UAC-max,SmartScreen

IE 11 ... Enhanced Protection Mode,ActiveX Filtering
    Chrome x64 with AdBlock,Vanilla Cookie manager, Flash block and Plug-ins=click to play
    Shadow Defender

Portable/Tools

Hitman pro
    XyPlorer-full Portable
    Autoruns
    ProcessExplorer
    CurrPorts
    Wireless Network Watcher
    BleachBit
    Windows Disk Cleanup
    Windows Image and Recovery

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

RE: ChromeOS - Wouldn't a linux distro serve the same purpose, and even run on older hardware?

5. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Send PM instead of hogging this thread I think it would be respectful.:thumb:;)

6. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

I uninstalled the 8.0 CFW version and installed the 5.12 V and followed the above recommendations above along with Chiron's tweek for verions 5.12 and will see how it all goes. One thing, there was less bloat to download with this version as opposed to 8.0. Stay tuned......

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You can use Bitlocker and you don't have to use a flash drive. You can choose to use a password to open the drive instead. It's very simple and better than TC. You should change encryption of BL from the default 128 bit to AES 256 bit should you decide to use BL.

To use BL without TPM:

Search for Group Policy in the Charms Bar. Then select Edit Group Policy.

In the left pane of Group Policy, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and Operating System Drives.

In the right pane of Operating System Drives, double click/tap on Require additional authentification at startup to edit it.

Select (dot) Enabled, check the Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM box, and click/tap on OK.

To change BL encryption strength:

In the left pane of Group Policy, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and open BitLocker Drive Encryption

In the right pane of BitLocker Drive Encryption, double click/tap on Choose drive encryption method and cipher strength to edit it

Select (dot) Enabled.

Under the Options section, select the encryption AES 256-bit

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I see. Thanks a lot for the information guys. It's lot clearer to me now. I'll definitely keep an eye new Chromebook models this year.:)

9. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Your welcome, anytime.:):thumb::cool:

10. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Webroot SecureAnywhere, HitmanPro, and HMP.Alert RC3.

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Time for a big update on changes;

Connection/Multi-Homed:
    WideOpenWest 60Mbps Cable Connection WAN1
    AT&T 10Mbps DSL - Multi-Homed, Failover via WAN2.
    AT&T 4G LTE Hotspot Box - Provided by work for free, in the event everything else fails.
    Norton Connectsafe DNS

Frontend:

Motorola DOCSIS3.0 SB6141
    ASUS RT-AC87R w/Trend Micro Gateway (UTM)
    Untangle Layer 7 NGFW(UTM in Transparent Mode) w/Virus Blocker Paid(Bit Defender), Virus Blocker Lite(ClamAV), Adblocker, PhishBlocker, Webfilter, Intrusion Guard.
    Layer 3 GBE 16 Port Switch (Cisco)

Systems:
    Win 8.1x w/Tweaks+Lockdowns
    Norton 2015 w/Aggressive Settings
    K9 Web Protection (Bluecoat - Malware, PUA, Phishing, Adblock, and Exploit blocker databases only - everything else off)
    Chrome w/uBlock, HTTPS Everywhere, Tab Cookies, Norton Toolbar.

Backup/Redundancy
    Lenovo IX4-300D 12TB Raid10 Network Access Storage (NAS)
    3X Cyberpower 1500VA AVR UPS
    Generac 20,000 Watt Air-Cooled Aluminum Enclosure Natural Gas Powered Standby Gen w/Transfer Switch

Network Structure
    Subnet Segregation
    VLAN Isolation

Given the network security, I DMZ policy the DSL (when not in failover capacity) a honeypot system for research purposes, running VMWare. (obviously) I also run multiple servers in the home, including an FTP, Security, Camera, etc.

12. badsector

badsector Registered Member

that back up... its just... wow...

13. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I know some of those words !!

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I was aware of the password option, but thought it was for W8 only. Further reading seems to indicate it is for W7 as well. Maybe I figured the flash drive w/key was more secure than the password route. I remember wishing I could figure out how to use KeePass in this mix, both for added security and for ease of long/complex password input.

Thanks for the post, ams963. :thumb:

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I'm super-picky about adding latency, and slowing browsing, so this solution actually adds >2ms latency to the entire 'experience'. But I am also a big fan of hardware based solutions, and solutions that work on web filtration/scanning. So in this case, the following layers are implemented on every HTTP/HTTPS call.

ConnectSafe DNS ->> Trend Micro (URL/Fingerprint) ->> Untangle Adblock ->> Untangle Web Filter(.SCR blocking, etc) ->> Norton Web Protection ->> K9 Web Protection(Malware/Phish/Ad only) ->> Norton Toolbar ->> uBlock ->> Chrome Malware/Phishing.

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's back to Roboscan for me for the moment. I've always liked Roboscan due it being extremely light, and being able to not automatically quarantine threats. Also it's very easy to exclude items from further detection, which I find handy as I have a lot of installers with adware that I want to keep.

It's a shame that the program has not been updated for over a year, but a least it does not suffer from a having a very slow update server any more. It didn't take too long to 1,188 updates. I can't comment on the download speed to download the installer as I used the downloader FlashGet to download it so that I can easily check for product updates.

I'm also using BeeDoctor for on demand scans, but it has a few issues with false positives which seem to come from its own heuristics rather than the Avira definitions. But, I'll keep in installed for now as I like its cleaning and speed up features.

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You're welcome.:) I've turned on BL for both the system drive and my documents drive. I had read posts in my thread in the privacy sub-forum about Windows keeping backup of every file or something like that. And I was suggested to encrypt the system drive as well. I use the master password of LastPass on the document drive and part of it on the system drive. That way I have to remember one password and they all can have long complex passwords. I use the password option because I'm not known for keeping everything orderly. What if I can't find my flash drive and lose it? What if I need to use my computer immediately but can't find the flash drive in time? I've deleted the recovery key file of BL as well. Protection, simplicity and convenience. :)

18. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Fedora 21 workstation locked down through root and hard drive passwords with SELINUX, rkhunter once a week, haven't run clamwin yet. I tried to get DNS-Trigger running for DNSSEC support and its supported but couldn't get SELINUX to allow it. Working on that.

I'm running Chrome Dev with the following command line switches

sr/bin/google-chrome-unstable --enable-strict-mixed-content-checking --enable-strict-site-isolation %U

uMatrix (only running Dan Pollocks Hosts list as I understand it includes some canvas blocking, uBlock w/EasyList w/o element hiding rules and not set to parse and enforce, LastPass, 'strong password generator' (the beast of all password generators), Referer Control set to show [TARGET_HOST] so it shows where I'm going is where I came from, HTTPS Everywhere (finally gave in to running this full time), hyperlink auditing is disabled in chrome:flags, My Google account is set up using two factor authentication.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  19. The layered defense malware needs to pass on my Windows 7 ultimate 32 bits desktop:
    1. WFW 2-way > Norton DNS > OS Sandbox > AVG Linkscanner > ViRobot APT-shield
    2. ACL set deny execute file in threatgate folders > SRP deny execute for basic users
    3. GPO disabled elevation of unsigned, risk-ware, user autoruns, 16bits, cmd, scripts

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
  20. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can get similar functionality if you enable Spoof HTTP Referer in uMatrix:

21. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

uMatrix seems to be using a lot of memory these days so I was looking to offload some of the functionality.

22. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Sandboxie and Webroot.

23. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

Sandboxie and Windows Defender.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

webroot and hitmanpro

25. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! jmonge...secure minds think alike...Lol! Currently...using WSA Security Plus...AppGuard...and MBAM Premium. Stay warm on the Prairie's My Friend. Sincerely...Securon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.