What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

You are more than likely to get your credit card information stolen at Target cash register than anybody going after your personal info on Linux. Not profitable enough.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

4. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Still using ZA free AV+FW. All fine. Happy. :isay:

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Comodo IS only:
    AV - Stateful,
    FW - Custom, stealth ports,
    HIPS - Safe,
    AutoSandbox - default rules
    + sandboxed browsers as Fully Virtual and Partially Limited
    + sandboxed all media players Fully Virtual and Untrusted

The setup is heavy for my PC because of sandboxed browsers. When they aren't sandboxed it's lite.

6. Well i used a template grabbed from here http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/27996036/dir/other/com/firejail-0.9.16-1.x86_64.rpm.html (did not use AppArmor)

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Easy fix, get Sandboxie to sandbox your browsers. If there is no conflict between SBIE and another security product that you are using now, there ll be no slowdowns.

Bo

8. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

Currently trying out:

ESET Smart Security v8
    MBAM Pro (Realtime + Webprotection)
    HitmanPro Alert
    CryptDNS

Might be a little too much but I really like the HMPA 3.x and I think MBAM Pro is a good addition to nearly every setup. I hope the different components will work together fine.

I replaced CIS with ESET Smart Security and EMET with HMPA.

9. Bo, No hard feelings, but are there any problems which don't direct to the obvious solution sandboxie? Please don't start to sound like a broken record.

10. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Plus Sandboxie can autodelete the sandbox on closing.

Using this setup with CISv5 and all is very zippy.

Regards Eck:)

11. DX2

DX2 Guest

Yep, no need to clear cache or delete cookies and sessions.

12. bo elam

Sandboxing the browsers shouldn't make a PC heavy. You might not like it but Sandboxie is the obvious solution for him. If sandboxing slowed things down or made my computers feel heavy, I wouldn't use SBIE.

When I run my browsers or PDF files or any program of the many that I run sandboxed, all sandboxes open and close fast. No delays, Kees. And the one thing that I like the most about Sandboxie is that it feels like I am using nothing. And that is exactly the opposite of what he is feeling now. So don't tell me not to suggest what works.

Bo

13. DX2

DX2 Guest

I ran into that problem with the newer versions of CIS or CFW. On the older versions, like 5.10, it doesn't feel heavy for me.

14. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Oh yeah, I remember that 5.10 was the lightest on this PC.

Thanks for suggestion. I tried SBIE and it were heavy on this PC. Maybe I'll try it soon again.

15. DX2

DX2 Guest

With sandboxie its only slow when you launch a browser. But runs good afterwards. But that's from my experience.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I just bought a new machine and I'm currently running only Sandboxie on Windows 8. I would love to add a HIPS, but they are all a bit crappy at the moment. I'm still waiting for the new EXE Radar and I might add MBAE or HMPA. I think MBAE is a bit more mature at the moment, but HMPA offers more features and might be more powerful when it comes to blocking advanced exploits, at least in theory.

17. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

• Sandboxie as the flagship of course :cool: No more A/V's, 3rd party firewalls and other needless junk. System now feels 30lbs. lighter after getting rid of all that extraneous fat. Trying out EMET 5.1 at the moment and seems to running ok for now compared to that train wreck of a disaster, EMET 5.0. Periodic backups with Macrium Reflect and using Palemoon browser with NoScript and Adblock Latitude all working well .

18. Stelica

Stelica Registered Member

I use the browser (firefox) in sandboxie free and run all in Shadow Defender 1.4.0.566 (permanent shadow mode for C ).
    I have also look 'n' stop firewall and WinPatrol Plus.
    My system is Windows XP SP3.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  19. Nope not telling you what to suggest, every man to his own, but have a look at your posts, may be you will notice that the solution for every problem leads to the same cure

20. Security Setup (Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits)
    - Recovery: Windows image and SyncbackFree data backup to NAS and 2nd USB-disk
    - Network: behind SPI-Router with Windows Firewall (set 2-way & risk-ware disabled)
    - Mitigation: block HKCU-autoruns/scripts/shell for basic user, added
    MBAE & Zemana
    - Whitelist: UAC (silent elevation, block unsigned), SRP (default deny all, allow admin)
    - Blacklist: Norton DNS (connect safe), Chrome (safe browsing), µBlock (anti-ad lists)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  21. bo elam

Kees, I know whats bothering you. What I told you below is what it is. But I am sorry, its the truth. You tried to make me look bad and all you did was show that you know nothing about NoScript. You couldn't even tell by looking at a simple picture how I handle scripts.
    Last week, it was Firefox and NoScript that you were banging on and now you are kind of like doing it on Sandboxie. Kees, not all of us like Chrome. To me, Chrome is boring. And Firefox with NoScript under Sandboxie is :thumb:

Bo

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

IMO you can disable sandbox safely. I guess when you are using Defence PLus, you really don,t get any extra security from sandbox.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Kees, I think you should be more polite to him. I think almost every one of us has some favorite software, every now and then.:)

24. Thanks for the free virtual telepathic consult. Your insights explain a lot. :argh:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  25. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Brand New config with a brand new PC:
    Suggestions are welcome as I'm purchasing this PC by the end of next week
    Everything is in signature

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.