What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

@wolfrun, hey Wolfman. MSE should get along very well with SBIE. Last time that I remember it having issues with the sandbox was during the year when MSE was released. All been well afterward. If I was running an antivirus in my W7, that's what I would use along SBIE.

Bo

2. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Bo. Yes I have ran MSE with Sandboxie in the past with no problems. I am curious to see how MSE gets along with this new MBAM version and both along with Sandboxie. Good luck on your Falcons :cool: Am not going to mention the Vikings. :thumbd:

3. guest

guest Guest

Yep still only protected by EMET 5. No problems at all to all the apps under additional protection. All mitigations are enabled except ASR. I guess I will just go along with this setup permanently. :cool:

EDIT: BTW has this thread managed to enter GBWR?

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

IDK, you should ask at Guiness :)

5. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium/Windows 10 Preview
    MalwareBytes 2.0
    ESET NOD 32 Version 8.

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

What settings are you running for EMET, Recommended or Maximum?

7. guest

guest Guest

Never heard of this thread ever mentioned in the wall of fame as far as I'm aware of. :D

Custom.

System Wide Settings
    ---------------------------------
    - DEP = Always on
    - SEHOP = Always on
    - ASLR = App opt in
    - Certificate Trust (Pinning) = Disabled

Specific Apps Settings
    ---------------------------------
    - All mitigations are enabled except ASR (Attack Surface Reduction)
    - Stop on exploit
    - Deep Hooks = On
    - Banned Functions = On
    - Anti Detours = On

8. Maximum security setting.....DEP =Always on. Sehop=Always on. ASLR=Opt In. Certificate/Trust=Enabled. Stop on exploit,Deep Hooks on, Banned Functions on, Anti Detours on...would not settle for less.

9. I like Firefox with NoScript. When you add that with Emet, and Sandboxie, in Windows 8 or 8.1, it's all you need. I could run a virtual machine if I wanted to, don't think it's worth the hassle.Windows is better than it used to be (AKA XP), just tighten things up a bit, and you are just as good as Linux. Any antivirus, and tight firewall settings, you are better than 95% of the average users.

10. guest

guest Guest

Let's not trying to regulate what people should and shouldn't be doing. Everyone has a right to choose what they prefer. None of us here can determine what is the best setup that will absolutely work for everyone. Don't jump ourselves into yet another mad festival. ;)

11. JohnMult

JohnMult Registered Member

Windows XP Home SP3 (all updates) Admin account behind a router
    1 Panda Free Antivirus
    2 Google Chrome starting limited with PsExec and plugins clicktoplay (μblock: Easylist, EasyPrivacy, Peter Lowe’s Ad server list, Dan Pollock’s hosts file, hpHosts - Ad and Tracking servers only, MVPS HOSTS)
    3 Secondary browser Firefox starting limited with PsExec (NoScript block all javascripts)
    4 Yandex DNS
    5 CryptoPrevent
    6 No Java installed

12. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

SecureAPlus (no Av version)
    Active@ Disk Image

nothing else needed

13. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

XP Pro SP3 - Secondary Admin, Default Deny SRP, Autorun & Netbios disabled, tweaked barebones
    Router w/SPI (wired)

Comodo FW/D+ 5.10 - Custom Policy FW, Paranoid D+/Untrusted
    Sandboxie 3.76 Paid
    Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325
    Macrium Reflect Free 4.2
    TrueCrypt 7.1 - FDE

VT Hash Check
    Hitman Pro
    MBAM Free
    TDSS Killer
    GMER

Firefox 27.0.1 - Ixquick Search, NoScript, ABE, Calomel, CS Lite, HTTPS-Everywhere, Private Tab, RequestPolicy, WOT, Youtube ALL HTML5

No: Java, .NET Framework, PDF prog., Flash player, IE, MS Office

14. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I never used them both in one PC. What is the advantage of SBIE over Comodo Sandbox?

15. Minimalist

I replaced ESET NOD32 AV v8 with Norton Security 2015. So far so good.

16. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

@hqsec

I like the new Norton a lot.

17. Minimalist

Yes I like it so far also. Will use it for next 30 days and see how it goes. I hope in the meantime we'll get some good deals.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  18. Am using the new Norton on my Super Duper Top Secret state of the art all time world beater second to none hardly working working hardly laptop.....ya, it's ok.....still a resource hog like it always has been, but it's STOUT. I think I would prefer ESET, however.

19. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

New Nortion a resource hogo_O 10MB of Ram is a resource hog these days?

Norton 2015 is as light as a feather.

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I dumped ESET v8 for Norton myself. Walking away from a 10PC, 1 Year License for Eset to do it.

System seems much snappier with Norton, and I am a bit more confident in Norton 2015 than I am ESET knowing something about the new technologies in 2015.

21. Minimalist

I guess I spoke too soon. Shutdown time for my system has increased from 2-3 seconds to almost a minute when Norton installed. It's a known bug and I hope that they will fix it before my trial expires.

22. Minimalist

Would you share with us what made you change your mind?

23. gery

gery Registered Member

KIS till it ends in a couple of months and i think i will not pay for anything in the near future will stick to free av

24. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

One reason for the change was Eset letting a SVCHOST trojan through on one of the machines here. Also a generalized 'slowdown' of systems with ESET installed was noted. Finally, Symantec moving their enterprise technologies into the consumer product also was of great interest to me as I find a properly configured Symantec Enterprise to be very solid. Also, I am of the belief that more traditional AV's won't keep up. Products like Trend and Norton are moving toward cloud validation, fingerprinting, machine learning, and sandboxing type of responses which I find to be superior methods. I would run Trend 2015, but since I run Trend on my router, I need a good, light compliment for it, and Norton seemed to fit the bill with the changes in the 2015 version. So far so good, Norton 2015 hasn't caused any issues, and seems effective.

25. Minimalist

Thanks for explanation @Mayahana :thumb:
    I encountered few problems after using it for a day and will go back to ESET for now. It is resource friendly and overall I really like it, but I have a problem with slow shutdown and with remoting from my work, so I'll have to let it go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.