What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. guest

guest Guest

@hqsec any reason to removed Sbie?

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Nothing special. I try different security combinations to see what's best for me. Since I don't install much software anymore I think that I can use SRP to tighten my security setup.
    What bothers me with SBIE is:
    1. a slight slowdown with programs launching inside SBIE (not much but still noticeable)
    2. system and programs updates sometimes create new problems and SBIE has to be updated. Right now I prefer trouble-free security setup.
    I know that my security is not that "tight" without SBIE, but with my computing habits I think my system is still safe.

3. guest

guest Guest

Yes if you have safe habits no need much security softs

4. @guest

So when I understand your signature correct you have ShadowDefender + Sandboxie + ExeRadar + AppGuard on laptop 1 and ShadowDefender + Sandboxie + VoodooShield on laptop2. I Guess laptop 2 is for safe habits browsing because you only got three security applications :)

5. guest

guest Guest

absolutely, laptop 2 is a mini-laptop with less resources so i don't want slow it down with real-time security softs i don't really need on it.
    laptop 1 is the one with more power and i have a Vbox installed on it , so i need to tighten it more.

btw , you can just click the signature to see the full setup ;)

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Must be my second cup of coffee kicking in... because the following apps will induce Shock and Awe...into any Malware Intrusion! AppGuard...WSA Security Plus...and ESET S.S.7...Homeland Security Mk8...If you align the Product Icons...that stands for AWE! Lol!...Sincerely...Securon

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Securon....homeland security?....ESET....is....from.....Slovakia....
    Cheers, mate! ;)

8. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! I know siketa...when I deal with ESET...I contact San Diego ...ESET'S...North American Head Office...but due to the Products Incredible Reliability this is extremely rare ! So from my perspective they're N.American based...and the NSA...is also in agreement...Lol! Sincerely...Securon

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Some facts, and just the facts here..

1) ESET was one of the 'first' to respond to the open letter asking about state sponsored malware, and if they detect them. Eset response was - they DO detect them, and would absolutely never whitelist any of them - NSA included.
    http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerab...ompanies-whitelist-nsa-malware/d/d-id/1112911

2) ESET as stated they fall outside the laws of the US Govt, and do not collect personal data;
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...mission-in-internet-security-products.363276/

3) ESET is leading the push to show how rampant, and illegal NSA spying is HURTING business.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...Internet-More-Cautiously-Thanks-To-NSA-Spying

Overall, I would say you are pretty safe. Webroot on the otherhand, has claimed they do not harvest personal data, and have no knowledge of customers data, or anything else. However the AVC report clearly shows Webroot knows *EVERYTHING* about a computer you have it installed on. So I would be really worried to be running that - wouldn't you?

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I don't know if ESET uses any partners for the Malware data, but I do know that they work with 3'rd party partners on the Phishing data that is being updated every 20min. And afaik Opera for it's malware blocking in the browser used data from Yandex last I heard.

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Yandex is good. Opera wasn't all that hot for malware blocking, but recent versions have become quite remarkable. A quick check over at MDS seems to show Opera itself is blocking 80%+ of the Malware Domains!

12. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I have been without scotty for awhile now, but had the urge to bring him back :)
    The rest is the same in sig...

13. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

MBAM....gonzo

Running MBAE, EIS, Appguard, thats all, thats it. Let the slimy malware try to get thru this combo.

14. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64

Firewall:
    Router NAT/SPI (Password Protected)
    Look’n’Stop Firewall 2.07 (Phant0m’s Ruleset)

Anti-Virus:
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.40

Blocking/Hardening:
    AppGuard 4.0.17.0
    Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit 0.10.3.0100 Beta
    Norton ConnectSafe DNS (Malware, Phishing)

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Windows 8.1.1 with all updates installed
    UAC set to maximum level
    SRP enabled and configured
    Windows firewall turned on

ESET Nod32 Antivirus
    OpenDNS
    Chrome
    with Adblock Plus

On-demand:
    HitmanPro
    Malwarebytes AM
    Emsisoft EK
    Virustotal Uploader
    Macrium Reflect
    Secunia PSI
    KeePass
    TrueCrypt
    CCleaner
    VirtualBox

I like simplicity and lightness of this real-time protection setup.

16. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

XP Home SP3
    Trick Sebijk
    Windows Firewall
    DropMyRights
    *** Norton Connect Safe ***
    System Recovery Off
    24 Services Modified (Black Viper)
    EMET 4.1 Update 1
    SBIE
    MBAE

No Silverlight installed
    Only NET 4 installed
    No JAVA Installed
    I.E.8 Trick1803,Script Off,no Flash installed.

FIREFOX (ABP,Ghostery,WOT,Noscript,HTTPS EveryWhere,Toggle Referer)

Comodo Dragon Portable (HTTP Switchboard)

On Demand

Hitman Pro
    HiJackthis portable

*** Yandex too many FP.

17. Untitled.png
    Possibly a lot of dead websites in that 1.2 billion (1,200,000,000?)

18. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Domain clusters. A single website may resolve to dozens of IP addresses through redirections and such. So if a spammer is 122.22.22.22, a good blocking system is to block - for example, 122.22.22.22 through 122.22.22.100 or whatever. That's why the IP addresses contain far more than actual websites themselves.

19. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

The usual trouble-free experience:

ESET NOD32
    Window Firewall Control
    NVT EXE Radar Pro
    EMET

20. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Do you guys have any recommendation for a full lockdown software that's free or cheap?

For a server for a specific purpose, I need something like Appguard - where I can basically put it in lockdown mode, and forget about it. No updates, no downloads, no nothing. It has to be lean, and mean, because it isn't a powerful server with a lot of CPU. Is there such a beast out there that is free or exceptionally cheap?

21. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

AppGuard on sale through June 2: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/appguard-4-x-32-64-bit.355206/page-55#post-2373880

22. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

FWIW. Here's some more info about how Yandex checks websites and their partnership with Sophos: http://company.yandex.com/technologies/antivirus_technology.xml

24. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

This is really impressive! No wonder Opera ALONE has been so effective at blocking Malware domains. This was fairly recent, Opera wasn't nearly this good until recently. Now I can run Opera on a machine with nothing else, hit 2-3 dozen Malware Domains, and find the majority blocked. That's a great security layer! I hear Yandex has this in their browser as well, but I haven't tried it.

25. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yandex browser also uses Kaspersky to scan downloads.
    "Every file you download will also be scanned for viruses by Kaspersky."
    Pretty neat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.