What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

+1 :)

2. Overkill

When I tried that combo erp was totally quiet, how do you have yours configured?

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I have comodo firewall in one pc and hips in paranoid mode and it is very quite :)

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Actually, you'll find plenty of more than sufficient alternatives other members are using. Note I didn't say replacement, but SBIE isn't a necessity in the purest sense of the word.

Yes, it's very useful. That's why so many, including myself, have it.

You should create another thread for that.

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Some changes;

Eset Smart Security 7 (10 license pack for 2 years)
    Immunet 3 Free (SPEROS/ETHOS only)
    Adguard Beta

Dumped Mbam, too many issues with 2x versions, and DHC dropouts on 1.75, and Processor Restraint issues in 2.0.. SAS has questionable detections, and 6 is still in beta. I wasn't impressed with Zemana, and don't like the yearly sub on a per-PC basis with no family pack. Webroot has way too many issues. Since Threatfire, Pestpatrol, PrevX, DesktopArmor and all of those are gone, the only problem free adjunct to AV I can find anymore is Immunet3-Free. It's tiny, and doesn't impact the system at all.

6. guest

guest Guest

ERP: scanned and whitelisted all folders/subfolders in Program Files & Program Files (x86) and C:/Windows; then set to Lockdown Mode extreme
    Appguard: set to Lockdown Mode

now if i install or update some softs, i set AG on install and ERP on alert.

i keep Windows 8 Defender at the moment, but i can ditch it anytime since nothing should go on my system partition if i don't allow it.

7. Overkill

Do you exclude both from eachother?

8. guest

guest Guest

Appguard auto-exclude exclude then protect the whole C:/ and my manipulation cited earlier do the same for ERP but manually and with less folders.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

just got ridoff shadow defender I don't know but it is difficult to be re-starting all the time to see changes and if by accident the pc is re-booted I loose all my data

10. guest

guest Guest

just create a "work folder" and exclude it from SD then put your datas in it; if you have sandboxie , put this folder to be force-sandboxed if any exe want to run in it , in case a malware get in.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

why didn't I do that :) hey I will try it again just ex-clude the documents righto_Oby the way thanks

12. guest

guest Guest

you are welcome, you can also use the "commit" button , it will do the same than exclude but for specific cases. ;)

13. Added Webroot also, found an (un-used) invitation key for PrevX pre-alfa testing, to my surprise it worked on Webroot Gaming version also. Indeed very light.

14. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Watch out for that cryptolocker malware... ;)

15. guest

guest Guest

yes, it is why i recommended him to force this folder in sandboxie.

16. siketa

siketa Registered Member

True....

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Files in that folder wont be protected by SBIE if malware is run outside the sandbox.

18. guest

guest Guest

he is under Shadow Mode , its excluded working folder (created in another partition , example D: ) will be forced there:

http://i.imgur.com/PdjTIIs.jpg

unless he recover the malware, no way he can get infected.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  19. Minimalist

Yes true. Since Shadow mode doesn't protect personal files all untrusted/unknown software has to be run under SBIE supervision. Default download location should be under SBIE forced folder also...

20. Overkill

Why force folders? anything downloaded from the net stays in the browsers sandbox until I choose to move it.

21. Minimalist

If you run all dangerous applications unders SBIE control you shouldn't need forced folders option. If you run them outside SBIE control, SD alone would not protect your data from malware. I don't use forced folder option also, as I don't run random executables from some "test folders" or something similar.

22. Overkill

The only time I run anything out of the sandbox is when I know it's safe. Thanks

23. Minimalist

IMO more important than forced folder is block file access to personal data. I use it to prevent access to my personal folders from all apps running in SBIE. That way even if malware runs inside sandbox it can't access my personal data.

24. Overkill

Where do I find that setting?

25. Minimalist

Resource Access - File Access - Blocked Access. You can add all personal folders to list and nothing from Sandbox can't access them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.