What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. darts

darts Registered Member

My New sig is: Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 , Malwarebytes 2.02 , Hitmanpro.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I suggest WSA.:thumb:

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Welcome to Kaspersky! I won't deploy it, ever. Far too many issues, and instabilities, and untested versioning.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you are going to be using Sandboxie, not using Kaspersky is a good idea. Right this moment, a few of Kaspersky features conflict with SBIE.

Bo

5. Abdallah

Abdallah Registered Member

I don't face any conflicts between KAV and SBIE at this time, can you give me more details ?

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There is the school of thought for folks who prefer to run an AV alongside SBIE (I count myself in that group), that says Sandboxie is doing all the heavy lifting, so the onus is no longer on finding the very best AV to supplement it. Just find something respectable and focus on the compatibility part of your need, and you will be fine.

I have run VIPRE along with SBIE for years. Test results place VIPRE somewhere in the mid to top range in detections, and that is okay with me. I intend to switch over to NOD32 in the Fall when my VIPRE subscription runs out. Point being, VIPRE or NOD32, I don't really care too much which one... it's just an AV that is along for the ride.

Sandboxie is like paint. It covers a multitude of sins.

8. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

Update: running 3 antivirus + MBAE realtime+ Sandboxie :D. No BSOD so far :D. Boot time unchanged.

9. Abdallah

Yes , I like SBIE and I am trying to find AV compatible with it , also I still have a valid license for NOD32 AV and I was using it just before KAV 2014 .. but when I saw the last AV tests and the high level of protection of KAV and EAM I thought I may test one of them

10. guest

guest Guest

Lol, what are you trying to achieve?

Block critical Windows components from running. You'll get one. :p

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I asked that to myself, maybe more products = better protection :D

12. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Security products create a sort of OCD in neophytes. Where the idea that more is better seems to come up.. If 1 pill fixes an issue, surely 3 will fix it better! Ignoring MED principle (minimal effective dose) which applies to virtually everything. Whereas ONE GOOD security product mitigates potentially 98-99% of every threat they will ever encounter. But that's 'stack' crap, to ensure that last 1% which we will never see MAY be covered. It's bordering on insanity.

To think that merely installing Appguard would eliminate virtually 100% of all issues, you could stack 'JoeBobs Antivirus' with it for absolute protection and have no issues. To read these guys that stack 3, 4, even 8-12+ products is pretty ludicrous. But this happens on all neophyte type forums. Head over to a 'car buff' forum, and see outrageous car customizations, where virtually none of them improve any aspect of the vehicle, but people insist on stacking them. Or over to some tattoo/body altering forums, and see 'extreme' examples everyday of people that just don't know when to quit.

13. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, high level of protection can sometimes bring some problems. I prefer to have an AV that is trouble free, even if it doesn't achieve 100% at various tests.
    ESET and SBIE are compatible and you probably shouldn't have any problems running them together. There's a little problem of sent Outlook mails not being scanned when Outlook is under SBIE protection, but all files get scanned when attached to mail, so this shouldn't be an issue.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree with you on this one

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this is my very best combo so far :) I have NVT in lockdown mode

16. Abdallah

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  17. Abdallah

Maybe I can configure NOD32 to get higher level of protection ?

18. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You could enable Advanced heuristics in real-time scanner, but I don't think it's worth risking any troubles. In last AV-Comparatives real time test Kaspersky achieved 99,8% and Eset 99,0% detection rate. IMO this difference is negligible.

19. Abdallah

Yes, also I like the lightness of NOD32, maybe I should reinstall it and throw KAV as soon as possible..

20. guest

guest Guest

Stop quoting me and making it looks like I'm in the process of flaming, people! >=V

Anyway, enabled EasyList and EasyPrivacy filters in HTTPSB.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's very good out of the box so to speak. What you can do is to make sure that the detection settings for Potentially Unwanted, Potentially Unsafe, and Suspicious applications is enabled in the setup-tree.

Don't worry about the test results look at them with a pinch of salt. A 100% detection rate in a test doesn't mean the product will detect 100% of the malware that exists.

22. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

On demand detection tests don't mean a thing unless the product does far worse than most others.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I got webroot and NVT ERP in lockdown mode :) and it looks and feels light and fast :)

24. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

I'm amazed of short vision people thinking they know everything and especially they KNOW that this 1% will never byte 'em - so pathetic and naive. This 1% is black swan event if you like AND IT HAPPENS. So, dream on and think you know everything.

25. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Real-life satire is the best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.