What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I switched back to ESET. So my setup is now:

• real-time: UAC, Eset Nod32 AV, OpenDNS, Adblock Plus, Ghostery
    • on-demand: HitmanPro, Malwarebytes, Emsisoft EK, VT Uploader, Secunia PSI, Macrium Reflect, KeePass, TrueCrypt.

hqsec

2. Win7 Policy/Software restrictions + WF Firewall + NAS (backup) + MBAM V2

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  3. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Finally upgraded to an SSD with a fresh install of W7 64, and have totally slimmed back my security setup. ExeradarPro with HitmanPro.Alert. MBAM with HMP as secondary. Windows firewall behind router.

With Chrome's sandbox this is the cleanest and most efficiently simple setup i have used. Love the lightness and strength, they just sit there quietly and unobtrusively :thumb:

Anyone know of a good deal for Hitman Pro?? Im from Australia and unfortunately we dont get Newegg or amazon deals here.

regards.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Isn't it simpler and of the same safely just to use Chromiums (Chrome, Dragon or SRWare Iron)?

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Simpler? My mom is 77 years old, when she comes to visit me (she lives in the states, I don't), she uses Sandboxie and she doesn't even know what SBIE is. Thats how easy using SBIE can be. I usually create and tailor a sandbox designed to make things easy for her. Then I place a shortcut with her name on it at the desktop. Clicking on that shortcut is all she has to know to use Sandboxie. It cant be any easier than that.

Same safety? I see Chrome being installed in many of my friends whom I have introduced to Sandboxie and that doesn't make any difference, they still got infected. I don't know how they get infected, I am not there, but I know that once they start using SBIE, they don't get infected anymore. And that's the bottom line.

Bo

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is alitle confusing but i remember when i used sandboxie before in my computer when my sister in law came to visit her sister she used the pc and when i came from work the pc was infected with 250 viruses and yes she manage to recover the files to real system i don't really know what she did but i was very infected that day :) mbam came to the rescue:)

7. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

The thing is infections through Chrome are rarely, if any, bypasses of the sandbox. People just download a file and execute it. That has nothing to do with Chrome's sandbox. Chrome's sandbox is designed to make post exploitation of vulnerable processes like the javascript renderer, flash player and pdf-viewer a lot more difficult, but it doesn't protect the user from his own blatant stupidity. That means highly sophisticated exploitation attacks have a lesser chance of success than blunt ones.

This is where Sandboxie is much more effective, in spite of the fact that Chrome's sandbox is actually more sophisticated and restrictive. If someone downloads a file and executes it from within the browser, depending on the sandbox's configuration of course, it either won't start at all or it will be gone after you close the browser.

8. bo elam

Sandboxie wont do nothing and its not supposed to do anything if you recover malware and run it out of the sandbox. Thats why I run sandboxed every file that I download till the day it gets deleted. There are exceptions but is extremely rare that I don't do that. Doing that and being extremely careful about what you install in the real system is the key to using SBIE. Thats basically what I do and its why I can get away from using any kind of scanner in my computers.

Bo

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know Bo

10. bo elam

JMonge, next time your sister in law comes around, you could do like I do with my mom. Create a sandbox for her and set it up so nothing can be recovered out of the sandbox. She could recover files manually but its not likely that she ll figure out how to do that. And let every program run. That way if she opens an email and likes to run, for example, a PDF attachment, it will run. If you are a Firefox user, you could even set her sandbox with a separate profile than yours. Its not really necessary but thats what I do. In my moms sandboxed Firefox, I don't install NoScript. If I did, I would get a "Bo, son, where are you? every five minutes.

Bo

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Have you researched this claim, that is, do you know the actual number count?

Chromes latest update to 33.0.1750.154 contained patches for two sandbox bypasses, discovered at Pwn2Own...

"an arbitrary read/write bug with a sandbox bypass resulting in code execution" and
    "a use-after-free affecting both Blink and WebKit along with a sandbox bypass, resulting in code execution".

Pwn2Own results for Thursday (Day Two)

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I wonder if tzuk had any idea what role he played in keeping mother and son apart?

13. FleischmannTV

I know these full well, but I am talking about in-the-wild attacks and not Pwn2Own or bug bounty programs. The guys who break out of Chrome's sandbox would have an even easier time breaking out of Sandboxie.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Ah, I see.
    Now where do you get this information from, FleischmannTV?
    Off the top of your head, or from a location further south? ;)

15. bo elam

He probably does. I know he reads what we write about Sandboxie and I used my moms example a few times before.

Bo

16. bo elam

:ninja:

Bo

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I think and I remember that was the way I have it nothing to be recover but I think for some reason sandboxie service crashed and was disabled I think,but thanks for the advise Bo:):thumb: :thumb:

18. FleischmannTV

I don't know why you have to make this personal. I hold Sandboxie in the highest regards and deploy it as my main security application along with AppGuard.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm perfectly willing to stick to facts, friend. Like when I asked you where you got your information from... a question you have chosen to disregard... which once again points to the southern route.

I haven't asked you about your regard for Sandboxie. I asked you about your statement that Chrome is harder to break out of than Sandboxie.

20. bo elam

If for some reason SBIE crashes, anything running inside the sandbox, stays in the sandbox. She probably recovered malware and ran it outside the sandbox.

Bo

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I wonder if our friend misses his baby, or if he is so happy to be rid of the work? Perhaps a bit of both, though I would guess the latter. ;)

22. FleischmannTV

Yes page42, my statement was nothing but a guess. Thanks for pointing it out.

23. bo elam

Probably he doesn't miss the long hours that it takes to keep SBIE compatible with the most commonly used programs that are available but I don't doubt that he misses Sandboxie.

I know I sent you this link about three years ago but others might not have seen it. In this link, Tzuk talks about the early days of Sandboxie and what got him to create it. Starts in page 11 of the PDF or about minute thirty something in the MP3 file. Episode #172.

https://www.grc.com/sn/past/2008.htm

Bo

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My "from a location further south" comment had a winkie after it and was basically intended to provoke a smile.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks for clarifying that :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.