What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

Yes, I agree, this is indeed an issue. 'Infected files' are deleted without warning, whereas I might wish to check them out first or run them in a sandbox or on a virtual machine.

Another issue I have encountered (maybe it is with me only.. I don't know): when running an Outlook rule that takes care of batch-forwarding a number of mails to another email address, Norton will block this after a few mails.
    (SMTP server error: 4.7.1 Error: too much mail)

The mail is blocked and should then be re-send, 1 by 1, from your 'Sent items' folder. This is already the case at 6, 8 or 10 mails. My ISP SMTP server has a threshold of 500 mails. So it is not from the server. It is when NIS Spam filter is active.

When some process is using excessing resources (like copying a lot of files), there is this pop-up saying that program xyz is taking a lot of resources.
    Well, I know...
    Most likely it can be configured nót to show up somewhere...

When looking in the history log, I see entries of programs that are 100% okay and that I have been using for many years, like Roboform, is marked 'medium severity' (with "Unauthorized access blocked"-errors).
    In the end, this appeared to be no problem, but nonetheless .. it was confusing and I was (needlesly) worried.

In all the tests, all over Internet, hardly ever the level of support is being taken into account.

How easy is it to manage the active licenses?
    (Norton: really perfect)

How easy is it to contact the Symantec or KL by chat?
    How quickly are things then solved?
    (I am very possitive about their chat-help!)

Are the add-ons for Firefox also working with the latest versions of FF ?
    (I am not sure about the current situation, but a few months back the add-ons weren't always compatible, i.e. you are paying for software components that were actually disabled, due to compatibility-issueso. Again, I am not sure about the present situation though)

KIS might have a 4,5* rating, NIS a 4,0* - both are outstanding products, no doubt.
    My experience with Kaspersky service is that it is very poor, I mean very.
    After a few no-service-instances, I tended to say 'Good bye' to KIS.
    NIS is fine, really.

Then again KIS has 0,5* better score and as long as you donot need service then
    maybe it is better to choose KIS.

Bottomline.. I don't know :)

2. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Ubuntu 13.10 - COMODO Secure DNS - Ghostery - ABP - Lastpass

3. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

When it comes to system security I rely on Norton Internet Security and Shadow Defender. NIS does a great job of detecting potential threats and removing any existing ones. Should any malware penetrate NIS (a very rare occurrence) I'm quite confident that SD will contain the 'nasty' and delete it on my next restart.

NIS is as light or lighter on system resources than any other 3rd party firewall-antivirus suite that I've ever used. It loads fast and works in the background without noticeable system slow-down. NIS provides very effective firewall and virus protection and when all is said and done what's more important when it comes to system security? It's identity safe and antispam options are also very nice and work well. Live-update occurs transparently throughout the day without annoying notifications.

Imho a great security combo! :thumb:

TS

4. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

@The Shadow

Just beware of Shiwan Khan and his infamous new Khanel exploits. With his superior psychic abilities, Khan can instantaneously get remote code execution on any given process in any operating system and get kernel privilege along with it. He does not need to rely on vulnerabilities to achieve this, the sheer power of his will is more than sufficient.

Further, sandboxes are no obstacle for Khan, not even setuid or seccomp-bpf sandboxes. In a conversation with Mr.T Khan said he pities sandboxes so hard, that only children with tiny plastic shovels had use for them. When asked about light virtualization, Khan said he would just unhook the driver and get you straight back into actual reality.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the shadow I think I know you from a previous life :) I meant your previous username?mmmmmm forgot anyway good to heard that Norton is speeding up cause I remember the dinosaur times it was very heavy for the system and now you said that that is amazing to know that things change and people listens anyway good combo man:thumb:

6. The Shadow

I see there are others here who are aware of notorious villains. :p

7. The Shadow

I willed you to forget... :cool:

Yes, pre-2010 versions of Norton were resource-hogs, but then they finally saw the 'light of day' and have made continuous major strides in minimizing system impact. But not even Norton is perfect so it's prudent to implement secondary-protection (ie.,SD). :thumb:

8. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Simplifying again after a heavier setup: Webroot SecureAnywhere.

9. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Now you're talking!!:thumb:

10. guest

guest Guest

same here, but just Shadow Defender activated on boot ^^

11. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Think it's just Splendeferous now I've Installed the Mighty Ikarus! Ohhhhhh.....YEAH!...in Yeahness...with WSA and AppGuard. Sincerely...Securon

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I want to try shadow defender but I am not sure if it is active in developmento_O

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Good going guys.:thumb:

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's back to Roboscan free for me after more than 18 months, after a period of excess (90%) use by UnThreat. My laptop started running slowly, and Task Manager showed that UnThreat was the cause with CPU use going up to 90%. After closing Task Manager, things got worse with my system being unresponsive. I tried several times to reopen Task Manager, and it was not for over a minute, when things had settled down somewhat that Task Manager opened. I would not have been impressed if this had happened when I was DJing and it interfered with my set.

My Pro licences has expired long ago, and I can't afford the minuscule price to buy another licence right now, so am using the free version.

15. guest

guest Guest

slow but still active ^^

16. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Yeah...almost 6 months since the last version.....

17. guest

guest Guest

Now wondering if i should go with:

CIS v7 + Shadow Defender OD

WSA + Comodo FW + Shadow Defender OD

CIS + WSA + Shadow Defender OD

this start to heat my brain :D

18. The Shadow

Tony, the developer, is working on a new major feature - placing Track0 into Shadow Mode. Until then SD is still a fantastic program; so why not download and try the 30-day trial, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. :thumb:

TS

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thank you both:guest and the shadow:thumb: :thumb:

20. The Shadow

Just to avoid any exploded brain-matter around here I vote for CIS or WSA + SD. :D

Imho your other combo choices are overkill and an unnecessary drain on system resources!

TS

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  21. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Roboscan here, too. This thing is the lightest AV ever, trouble free, and couldn't be more pleased.

22. ExtremeGamerBR

CIS v7 + Shadow Defender OD.

23. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

CIS 7, WSA and Sandboxie. CIS 7 is running nicely and very light.

24. guest

guest Guest

- don't really need Sbie when CIS full virt is enabled.

- for WSA i will wait they fix their Ram pagefile usage "issue", it bother my eyes to see Explorer.exe using 600+ mb ram

so atm , CIS + Shadow defender OD on PC1

using TiraniumAV on PC2

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  25. ExtremeGamerBR

I continue with the CIS for almost a month. When I update to the new version I'll put in detail the configuration I'm using.

I began to explore Ubuntu again, giving me several problems but I hope to get to use it. We'll see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.