What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

They were dead to me before they declared themselves so.
    I grew not to trust them, for a variety of reasons. :shifty:
    At one time, I was very impressed with the niche market that they inhabited... detecting commercial spy programs.

2. Windows 7 Ultmate 32 bits with Windows FW 2-way behind Router Norton DNS and a NAS as backup, using OS-features for security:

- Deny elevation/installation of unsigned programs/drivers (UAC/GPO)
    - Deny execute outside UAC protected folders for basic users (SRP)
    - Reduced attack surface by disabling services and options (GPO)
    - Run internet facing as basic user (SRP) with EMET-protection
    - Locked all current user autorun entries/folders (GPO/ACL)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I see that someone has posted a question on their forum about Norton DNS test page being down.
    I'll monitor that thread.

4. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just re-installed Homeland Security...WSA Security Plus...AppGuard...and Voodoo Shield. Un-Huh...Un-Huh! Sincerely...Securon

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

page42:thumb:
    securon:thumb:

6. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

It was there about a month ago. But since Norton merged with UltraDNS and uses new numbers the test would fail. Maybe they took it down till everyone transitions over.

The new DNS is much quicker now than it used to be.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@ jdd58 ... Yes, okay, I am starting to see some bits and pieces about that.
    The new 'A' numbers are:

Preferred DNS: 199.85.126.10
    Alternate DNS: 199.85.127.10

per this site.

Plus there's an Update from Norton ConnectSafe Team from a month ago.

I emailed connectsafe with a question or two and will post back any info I learn.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that's the one I got

9. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Currently beta testing Comodo Internet Security version 7. I must say its a very stable beta. After holding onto the beloved Comodo Firewall version 5.10 and skipping version 6 (horrible), i see this becoming a suitable replacement. Protection has been improved and the GUI is much more intuitive and presence a sense of order and logic.:thumb:

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

You can read my post here about the test page not working with the new IP's.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Othe...Available-for-Norton-ConnectSafe/td-p/1066593

It has been reported by a Symantec employee that the old IP's will continue to work fine and there is no plans to disable them.

Cheers!

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for the info, Krusty13. :thumb:

For the time being, until I get a Norton DNS test page that works, I'm staying put with Comodo Secure DNS.
    I just tested it on 5 known sites and I get alerts on each, so that's what I am looking for.

12. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I'll be sticking with this one for a while, if not permanent. Also using (but not listed) Sandboxie, OpenDNS, Dnscrypt, ABP w/ultimate, vanilla cookies and disconnect.

WSA // AppGuard // Shadow Defender // On Demand: Malwarebytes Pro // Hitman Pro

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I tried ViRobot Internet Security 2011 very briefly (I also have tried it before). But soon ditched it due to its own scan engine giving false positives.

I wanted to try it again after seeing it do so well in the latest VB Rap test.

Hauri really should change it from 2011 to 2013 or 2014, as the product continues to be updated.

Anyway, right now I'm installing PremiumAV Anti-Virus, which claims "World's Lightest antivirus--does not slow down your PC." It will be interesting to see if that is true or not, as I find most so called light antiviruses to not be so light.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

This one? https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/vendor?id=579

Lightest Antivirus in the World. Does not Slow down your PC.
    -http://maya123.com/index.php?id_product=1&controller=product

PremiumAV Gold - 20 Year Activation.
    -http://maya123.com/index.php?id_product=60&controller=product

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  15. makios

makios Registered Member

Recent changes in my signature. Two notebooks Win 8.1 and Desktop with Win 7 premium with Avast! / Zemana (family PC's) or CIS setup (my personal notebook).
    Running light and safe (I hope ;-)

16. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Product from Russia, but no website of its own and sold in Indian subcontinent.. Is this even legit ? :D

17. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware, only the Behavior Blocker (aka Mamutu) is running, the Malware Scanner will be used on-demand for occasional full scans and as a right-click scan of files in the sandboxed download folder before taking them out. Mamutu might be redundant with AppGuard, will have to think about whether to keep it turned on.

Uninstalled LastPass and am now using KeePass.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

KeePass :thumb:

(Don't overlook that obfuscation setting!)

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I am running webroot antivirus with hitmanpro and I will add hitman alert when they release version 3:)

20. roger_m

Yes, and just like VB, I found it has a big problem with false positives. Also, there is no option for it to prompt when an infection is found, you can choose in the options to quarantine, delete, cure or skip. After doing a manual scan, if you have it set to skip threats, it shows a report listing the infected files, but you cannot take action on any of the infected files.

In general, the infection names seem to come from Kaspersky

Interestingly this is a Russian antivirus which is actually sold by an Indian company.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not to be like that ;)... but is that the biggest "problem" you see in the different AV's that you have tried lately?

Why not let the product quarantine a threat if you can easily restore it afterwards if you want. But how often do you think you would come across something that would get quarantined, or the AV would prompt you if that would be possible in a product? It's not like it would quarantine something everyday or even once a week or month that mostly happen to high risk users, wich you're not afaik.

AV's are designed for the average user and needs to be more or less automatic when something is detected and dont ask the average user "what do you want to do with this file" that simply won't work. Wich is why most of the products have a working restore function for quarantined items.

Even better is if the threat doesn't get in at all and is detected or blocked at the source by the web protection module. The earlier a threat is detected the better.

22. roger_m

Actually it happens quite a lot that files are detected, due to an AV considering them being unwanted, or detecting them due to an installer including toolbars or other unwanted (but optional) software. To give an example, I just scanned 20 installers from my downloads folder at VirusTotal, and 7 of them go flagged by at least one antivirus.

I'm not an average user - and I want an antivirus to be highly configurable, rather than dummed down to keep it as simple and basic as possible for the average user. I have no problem with repairing/quarantining being the default action. But, I do want the option to be prompted what action to take.

23. roger_m

I'm not a fan of web protection, because sometimes websites I want to visit are blocked. I don't mind if a website gets blocked due to it hosting malware, but I do not want websites blocked due to hosting unwanted software. Also, I do not want a download to blocked or cancelled part way though due to the antivirus identifying it as being unwanted, or incorrectly thinking a harmless program is infected.

Don't get me wrong, I think that for the average user, website blocking is a good thing.

24. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Kaspersky 2014 I.S. and AppGuard...and HMP Alert. Sincerely...Securon

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I hope to hear how you like KIS before you do the next switcheroo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.