What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Interesting read, thanks for the link. I avoid Facebook and am careful about other social sites for the reasons he talks about. I already browse Incognito mode and have Chrome set to delete cookies when closing the browser. I'd rather not use Chrome and Google, but hope that with those settings and a VPN there's no tracking. Chrome is so fast, but I'll give Firefox another try.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :). A more comprehensive list of client-side tracking techniques can be found at https://ssd.eff.org/tech/browsers. That list doesn't include browser fingerprinting though; see recent privacy section posts for that. I'd recommend using a different browser for non-VPN use than VPN use.

3. justenough

Conquest! Medieval Realms. It's a quick hex game that doesn't take a lot of thought. Good with a mug of coffee in one hand.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/373/details/Conquest!.Medieval.Realms

I guess it wasn't in Webroot's data base, WSA was slowing down the game until it just quit. They said they added it to their data base and said to do a deep scan. That worked.

4. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

Comodo Internet Security Pro.
    Mbam
    Hitman Pro

5. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! jmonge...Online Armour...free edition...available at Emsisoft...it's missing for instance Online Banking Mode...it's called Freeware mode...but as you know Emsisoft 9 the Security Suite is in Beta mode...that's the One I'm eagerly awaiting. But so far the firewall works flawlessly...very impressed. Sincerely...Securon

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Running Bitdefender Total Security in one of my PCs. :D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Securon:thumb: :thumb:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Good to hear that. WSA support is top notch. One of the vital reasons why I love WSA so much.:D

Nice overkill setup you got there Securon. :thumb:

How does it feel to run something other than EAM and OA for a change Noob? Do you feel any any with Bitdefender on board?

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

To be honest i feel no difference at all.
    BD also takes a fair amount of time to load every boot just like EAM + OA.
    Aside from that, i dont notice any slowdown from either setup. :D (Im running it in a sort of capable PC, not my lousy laptop which still has the old setup)

10. pablozi

pablozi Registered Member

Currently I am running Windows 8.1 x64 with Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, UAC set to max, HitmanPro.Alert, AdGuard with all security options enabled and HitmanPro as on demand scanner.
    I am still thinking about adding SpyShelter Firewall and/or NVT ERP :)

11. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I think NVT ERP or AppGuard would be a good choice.

12. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Got three mths left on my Bitdefender I.S.2013...so re-installed along with AppGuard...and Zemana Antilogger. Bitdefender running very light on my set-up...so come May hopefully Emsisoft will have their Internet Security Suite available. Sincerely...Securon

13. justenough

Agree. And maybe turn off Defender and put something stronger on. And some virtualization wouldn't hurt.

14. FleischmannTV

I'd rather turn it off and run no AV at all but that's just my preference.

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I see. So I guess you like Bitdefender. You got any fps with it yet? How's the scan time?

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

A good backup schedule - That's the best defense you can have!

A good AV, in my case Norton 360.

Keep all programs patched - Secunia PSI can help with this.

Secure your browser/s - SpywareBlaster can help here.

Common sense - That's up to you! ;)

Back up on-demand scanner to check for anything that may of got past - MBAM & SAS free versions do that for me.

NoScript + Adblock Plus - Firefox 27.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  17. FleischmannTV

Backup won't help against emptied bank accounts, stolen passwords and exfiltration of valuable documents and data, like ongoing research for example or highly confidential information. Neither will on-demand scanners. It's simply a very limited form of after the fact damage control with zero value in the fore-mentioned scenarios.

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Did you miss this?

A good AV, in my case Norton 360.

Keep all programs patched - Secunia PSI can help with this.

Secure your browser/s - SpywareBlaster can help here.

Common sense - That's up to you!

19. FleischmannTV

No, I didn't. I was simply referring to the "best defense" part.

AV's miss a lot and can't be relied upon.

Patching doesn't help against zero-day vulnerabilities. In fact most vulnerabilities only come to light once they been actively and widely exploited. The latest flash player vulnerability was unpatched for 84 days.
    -http://t.co/3KKQ1He9W3

Spywareblaster.... Never heard of that. I guess I'm not missing out on much.

I agree.

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hang on. I thought the purpose of this thread was to let people know "What is your security setup these days?", not to show why you think your's is the best!

Common sense!

If your setup is better than mine, then more power to you, but I don't suffer infections, except the one time I have invited a PUP infection while my defenses (and common sense) were down.

21. FleischmannTV

Your initial posting sounded more like advice because, rather than simply stating your setup, you have commented on your solution and I have a problem with the comments you made on your own setup. I don't care whose setup is better. Really skilled people are laughing about me just the same, I'm not better than anyone. The stuff I use can be bypassed as well.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

If you don't mind Krusty, I would suggest you leave SB & SAS and take a look at Hitman Pro. It would be great to know more about your backup strategy.:)

23. guest

guest Guest

Tried EXE Radar 3 yesterday. Got some lags for a minute or two until the notification of blocked program appeared. No idea what I did wrong, all I can say is they all are installers. :doubt:

BTW OA was uninstalled before trying EXE Radar.

24. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay I decided to get rid of all security set up for my Windows 7 netbook. I just don't visit any sites that are potentially dangerous. I only got it for Netflix and occasionally I run Universial USB installer to create bootable linux USBs.
    Last time i downloaded something sketchy I simply used Clonezilla to restore it.

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Each and every web site visited is potentially dangerous.
    A recent study concluded that 80% of infected sites were not so-called dark side sites, but in fact mainstream web sites that had been compromised. I have encountered viruses online were when looking for auto parts and hotel accommodations.
    It's a bit of a misconception to think things are fine just because one does not visit 'sketchy' sites.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.