What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

No it's grayed out in the free version only available in the paid pro version.

2. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

It might be boring using Appguard but I think it's better to have a boring program that does the Job perfectly than having to purchase a license renewal for an Internet Security program that fails to do it's Job sometimes. Appguard is bulletproof. I have it coupled with Windows Defender as I think I don't Need any expensive security Suite anymore. They're all redundant.:thumb:

3. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Question for you guys. I have Comodo Firewall installed with D+ set to clean pc mode and "Treat installer as trusted installer" ticked. If I run an installer and choose "run as installer", everything works as expected. But if I run an installer and choose "block and terminate" at the disk access prompt, it is terminated, as expected. But if I run this installer again, I am no longer prompted for the disk access and the installer runs. I noticed that there is a rule created for the installer with "custom ruleset" applied to it. Why is this? Shouldn't any new programs not be allowed to run unless explicitly trusted/allowed(I have disabled cloud lookup and trusted vendors).

Also, is there a way to set D+ to prompt when executing any program?

4. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I know :)

5. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Extremely awesome, thanks for the link.

6. Anyone else having problems (Process Explorer crashes after 5 to 10 secs). Restored a clean image, installed V16, but then I also had this problem.

Attached Files:

7. justenough

No problems here on a 7 x64 computer. I haven't replaced the Task Manager with it. I'll leave PE16 running and let you know if anything crops up.

8. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Windows_Security,

I am getting this "has stopped working" error now as well.

9. When Fleischmann has the same problem, increases the chance it is a bug caused by PE, reduces the chance it is caused by my setup hardening :D

Thx Kees

10. justenough

Are you running EMET? Fleischmann is, I'm not, could it be a conflict with EMET? Or with a setting in SafeAdmin that is also made by EMET?

11. Yes I am running EMET, but biggest problem is Safe_Admin, over the years (since 2010) it included a lot of settings so trouble shooting is very time consuming. :oops:

12. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

That's the reason why many People just rely on third Party Software to secure their Computers I guess. Microsoft should really do something about their built in security Features. Most of them are hidden from the user. It's such a pain to go through all the GPO's and find a specific rule for example. But I guess if Microsoft made the built in security more accessible to the user the av companies wouldn't be amused at all.:p

13. Yes, you are right, third party is easier to use and in most cases you will get an answer from the 3rd party helpdesk (try getting support of Ms when a home user :p )

14. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Anyone care to comment on this?

I am currently using:

Webroot SecureAnywhere
    AppGuard 4.0
    Malwarebytes Pro
    Limited user account

Do I need anything else?

15. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

You are good !

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I would add something for data and system backup, if you don't use anything.

hqsec

17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! New Month...Changes...Always Changes! Just re-installed Avast Pro A/V...in Tandem with AppGuard...and just purchased a New License for Zemana Anti-Logger...20 or 25% off at their Website...Solid deal...even though our Cdn Dollar isn't at the moment as Solid! But none the less no complaints, all are running in Harmony. Sincerely...Securon

18. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Too be honest I have a backup drive and an external drive I store files on, but I don't really have anything I care about. In fact, I probably reformat and reinstall Windows on average every 6 months. I'm a speed and clean freak I guess. I do have some files backed up to cloud too, but as far as imaging or backup software , why would I need that?

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Back to no antvirus for me, until I find one light enough.

20. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Indeed if you are comfortable with reinstalling the whole windows and all your apps then you don't need imaging. Though it makes the whole process way easier.

21. Solarlynx

What OS?

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

webroot antivirus with hitmanpro:thumb:

23. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Windows 7 64 bit.

24. Solarlynx

:thumb:
    Like mine. I wish I were so brave to be AV-less.

25. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.