What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just re-installed G-Data 2014 I.S.in tandem with WSA Security Plus...and HMP On Demand. Got a couple of mths remaining on my G-Data license...will re-evaluate to see if I want to purchase a new license...in March after the German version of CES...G-Data will release G-Data 2015 product. Sincerely...Securon

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Take a look at the image I posted on this thread yesterday. It is from speedtest.net. It says the server I am on is located in Brasov, Romania.
    At that same time, ZenMate said I was on their NY network.
    When on the NY network (according to ZenMate), speedtest displays any one of 4 locations... Austin, TX, Manassas, VA, NY, NY and Brasov, Romania.
    That is why I asked you about your source of info when you said, "Mine always comes up as New York". :)

3. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Yes that's what they seem to be saying, that there's a glitch in the address. Odd that CyberGhost has the same problem. What is it about Brasov and wrongly addressed servers?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Ah, this one. I haven't used it before. Just tried: yes it works:

Attached Files:

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I tried the speedtest and I actually defaulted to TX, Austin. Very odd. Mine hasn't come up with ROmania yet.

6. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

I wish you luck, because you'll need a lot of it.

7. Securon

Good Morning! Inside Out! I've personally never had any problems whatsoever with G-Data. Yes it has a certain bloat factor what with the Bitdefender engine...but having used the app over the past three years...they have improved it's overall performance. And from a Customer Service Perspective since they have a North American Head Office located in Atlanta...customer problems and queries are handled in a much more efficient manner. Just a thought in passing...Inside Out...I know you have an ongoing Ax to Grind regarding G-Data...call G-Data or e-mail them they're very approachable. And one more thing do not impose your attitude on Forum Members...it isn't appreciated. There are more Constructive ways to Channel your Angst. Sincerely...Securon

8. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Has it been 24 hours? Time to change......:argh:

9. Securon

Good Morning! Rompin! The only real thing that need's change are certain member's Attitude's! Lol! Sincerely...Securon

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for checking.

11. guest

guest Guest

So I think I'm the only one who have this problem. Maybe I really should contact Emsisoft about this. But anyway, thanks for the clarification.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Removed Comodo Cleaning Essentials, because it's outdated, continues to have false positives they won't explain or consider, and even crashed on full scan of my system. *outdated as in program itself, not definitions.

13. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Also, they took advantage of Avira and AVG sites having got hijacked just to promote themselves, even though they themselves wouldn't have fared any better if it was popular enough to warrant the hackers' attention. Which makes them a very unlikable company even if the product wasn't terrible and didn't get awful reviews and test results this year.

14. justenough

Good to know, thanks.

15. justenough

Last night I bought CyberGhost Premium for 1 computer, got a discount when buying from them and it was less than $17 for a year. :thumb:

L.A. is a lot faster than N.Y. even though I'm on the East Coast. The Washington DC connection seemingly sends me to Brasov according to Speedtest. :eek: o_O ;) Happy so far with CyberGhost, fast and no hangups.

ZenMate is removed, it was giving me some problems this time asking for a password even though I was giving it the right one. Might have been a problem with my setup though.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

ZM did the same thing for me on one of my computers... started asking for log in credentials. I disabled ZM for a few minutes. When I enabled it a little later, there was no password request.

The other day I had switched to ZM Switzerland network and before long MBAM IP Block jumped up with a malicious site notification. I chalked it up to any one of the hundreds of things that can trigger MBAM website blocking, but still it left a question in my mind.

I may look into CyberGhost Premium, but since CG still routes you through Brasov from time to time, maybe I'll hang with ZM.
    Sigh. :doubt:
    But do tell if you have any negative experiences with CG. :thumb:

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Replaced ScriptSafe and someonewhocares HOSTS with HTTP Switchboard.

18. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

ZenMate is easy to use. The location switching really fast. Using a normal VPN connection like CyberGhost, you are limited with your computer into being in just one country location at the time. Of course ZM does not hide your other internet connecting programs from hackers IP snooping, just Chrome.

CyberGhost in my opinion has quite a small IP "mask" variety. And all people sharing a server get the same IP. The server IP does not practically at least change, which can be good and bad, depending on the usage needs. And most/all are somehow directed to Germany or Romania. It could be that some virtual locations VPN servers are used. I don't know any about the technology details, so don't ask.
    Anyways connections are fast for me living in Finland.

ZM is also fast, all server locations except the Hong Kong one work just fine for me. It works too but definitely slower than the others. ZenMate assigns the IP's more dynamically than CG. And the IP pool base seems with much more variety. You can never know what IP you will get with ZM. And the IP seems to constantly change while being in that one country you are. The provider is not revealing any technical details to us users.
    Then again if you go to GRC shields up test, it can reveal some reverse DNS information that never changes. I have noticed that some sites block ZM.

Avast WebShield does not seem to work with CG5 or ZenMate, based on my eicar.org testing. That is no biggie for me running my browsing Sandboxied.

Some other VPN providers like HideMyAss seem to have a much larger IP pool, but HMA servers are to me slower with my 10Mbit connection. HMA connections for me can be very slow with US or other long distance servers. I am not sure, but I think HMA gives every user his/her own dynamic IP. That can have good and bad consequences depending on the usage kind.
    Avast webshield is working with HMA.

Just some gathered information/experience shared above.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  19. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

I use Zenmate along with Avira & WSA. Only enable it for online banking/shopping to bookmarked sites though. I find it is a trade-off as using an encrypted connection means that the HTTP web guard in Avira (and WSA) cannot check the traffic for drivebys etc on general browsing.

20. justenough

Interesting to read, thanks for sharing. I've tried ZenMate again after what Page42 said about reloading and it's working fine now, even with CyberGhost also connected, and there's not much slow-down compared with running just one of them. Do you know if running both together would add much to the level of anonymity?

21. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Zenmate works with me too well same time as my VPN.
    I feel safer posting to a security forum using ZM, since mods are many times interested also in hacking activities. Well, I have to trust ZM providers in this case.

You can be at risk running for instance Skype with its vulnerability name resolvers are exploiting. I am not myself any expert, but I could imagine some script getting run visiting a malicious website using that. So in case your Chrome IP thanks to ZM is different than your real or the VPN connection one, you I guess will not be as trackable.

Flash is another vulnerability. I change my computer's name sometimes, besides deleting all the history in Chrome and of course running everything Sandboxied. I have also disabled IPv6 from my network adapters.

22. Securon

Good Afternoon! Just returned to the Super Reliable...Tandem of ESET S.S.7...WSA Security Plus...and AppGuard...the Lightness of Freshly made Bread. Lol! Sincerely...Securon

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Now there's a terrific idea, Securon.
    Software that emits an aroma! Just like program skins, we are offered program scents. Pizza, vanilla, chicken dinner, fresh brewed coffee, new mown lawn! And like scheduled scans, we can control what scent emanates from our software at a given time of day.
    Is it possible? :D

24. Securon

Good Afternoon! Page42...From the is it not possible file...you'll be able to upload aroma definitions...to your Smart Appliances...to protect and safeguard...your wife's Smart Recipes. Lol! Sincerely...Securon

25. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Thinkpadx230 Linux Mint 16
    none

Thinkpadx120e Windows 7
    NVT ERP, UAC off

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.