What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Are you still using deny execute through NTFS permissions?

2. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Thank you! Securon!

EAM or ESET/NOD32

Between the 2 above which one would work better on Windows XP?

I have 3 PC's with Emsisoft already on them. ESET/NOD32 use too leave leftover
    from Malware. Not Sure! About ESET/NOD32 up to date? Can you help out here?

Thanks!

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Moose World! Both on my system are superb. And as I mentioned, both in terms of Performance and Protection are Equally Superb. You have to ultimately come to the decision of which product works for you. Sincerely...Securon

4. Yes on download, mail, media and browser cache folders for everyone (it is just an extra precaution, with no additional CPU/disk overhead). I have no AV or third party security, so have tripple deny execute on most risky drive-by/drive-in places (SRP, ACL/GPO and 1806 trick), just using what is available with Windows.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  5. CrusherW9

I haven't decided yet on what scope I want to apply this but it's a neat trick. After over a year of learning and messing with various aspects of pc security, I've basically converted to your Safe Admin setup :thumb:

6. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Hehehe. It may look like it but there is none actually.

Windows 7 on Thinkpad x120e
    - no security software installed UAC OFF
    - primary purpose: netflix, vsee, skype
    - no USB ever attached

Linux Mint on Thinkpad x230
    - no security software installed
    - for day to day browsing, emailing, office work

Windows XP Home on Thinkpad T60
    - K9 + Safeplay + Windows updates off
    - banking and day to day computing by a computer novice family member

Windows XP Pro on Thinkpad T61p
    - Foticlient + MBAM Pro + HMP
    - banking and day to day computing by a computer novice family member

7. mike 1

mike 1 Registered Member

Hi guys! I use in the treatment of special software such as AVZ, UVS (Universal Virus Sniffer), RSIT (Random System Information Tool).

8. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Have any links to these?

9. Nice thanks :D , pitty Sully is to bussy for updating PGS (Pretty Good Security), in 1.5 year I will retire (at age 57 :D ). Now following C++ courses at HarvardX (have not programmed last 20 years, so bit rusty on pushing bits and branching around). I am planning to create a windows only Safe_Admin (not spectacular security, after all Safe_Admin = similar to AppGuard 1.3) with EMET included. I will make this a signed program. Just for fun, It will be free-ware (when you like a facebook company page) also, So hang-on :thumb:

10. mike 1

mike 1 Registered Member

11. CrusherW9

After taking a programming class just last semester that introduced us to C/C++ for the first time, I have mixed feelings about it. Coming from Java and Python, C/C++ is a PAIN! But it's also REALLY cool!

12. I have programmed assembler mainframes. In the late 70/early 80-ties batch software converted to real time. One had to write its own communication frameworks, relational data bases were not used yet, we were messing around with separate indexes and pointer files. Frameworks, services, object orientation everything is new for me :D, programming is more (re-)using code than hacking as much functionality into 16KB programs. I have seen the transformation from holerith punch cards to green terminals :gack: so feel like a dynosaurus warped into modern times.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  13. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I look forward to installing the Safe_Admin program because setting some of it up manually at this point is over my head. Good to hear that AppGuard works in a similar way.

I was planning on asking you about Sully, haven't heard from him in a while. When I was just starting out with Windows and Wilders he was very helpful in getting me headed in the right direction. And his enthusiasm for Sandboxie motivated me to figure out how to use it, so he has my gratitude for that.

14. Just for comparison, Safe_Admin has same level of protection as AppGuard 1.3, so when comparing the price of a Home version + AppGuard (V4.0) and the price and the hassle of Pro with Safe_Admin manual with EMET, it is easier (and cheaper) to buy AppGuard :rolleyes:

15. justenough

This is the first time I've tried CyberGhost, it's working okay except the free servers are full a lot of the time. And you have to wait a full minute before it connects while the ad is displayed. I might try a month of the paid, it's supposed to be faster.

Maybe we were too hard on ZenMate. The question is why would a server in Washington DC show up in Speedtest as being in Brasov Romania. I guess it's reassuring that the same thing is happening with a well-regarded program like CyberGhost. Can a server have the wrong address?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  16. CrusherW9

It's the way to go! Polymorphism and inheritance can be confusing at first but man can they do amazing things. Good luck!

17. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You are correct, je. Maybe we are being too hard. But that is only because we are trying to understand.
    Let's look again at several statements that I received from ZenGuard (ZM support), as they now seem to be a tad clearer to me...
    In order to stay on topic in this thread, yes, I am once again using ZenMate, but I keep a close eye on it, and toggle it off and on more than I used to. I still love the concept.

19. justenough

OA wasn't too happy with my set-up, so Privatefirewall is now installed instead. It's not complaining so far. I always liked PF. :thumb:

20. justenough

ZenMate reinstalled here also, yes a great concept.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Do you interpret the ZenGuard support person's responses to mean that, in effect, even though speedtest.net is sometimes saying Brasov, Romania, the server is actually in the USA? That is what I am starting to believe.

22. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I love using zenmate on google chrome. Mine always comes up as New York. It's a little faster after the latest update.

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi kjdemuth,
    What info source are you viewing to confirm that it is NY?

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Back to what works for me. :D

DefenseWall 3.22
    ShadowDefender 1.1.0.325
    Macrium Reflect 4.2

AdMuncher
    OpenDNS
    Opera

25. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Straight from zenmate "You're connected to www.boston.com via our network in New York, United States".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.