What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

! Happy New Years everyone!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Same from here to all!!:D

3. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

I completely agree with you luciddream, even though im currently waiting for my eset license to expire in January. I will revert to my old setup of Either Comodo Firewall D+ sandboxie Appguard Voodooshield or MBAE, in either combination with some system image restore, i no longer have faith in AV software, as they are constantly on the back-foot and are unable to assure a user they will be protected. A virus can try getting through the software mentioned above as opposed to an AV.

I see threads started here about " how will you prepare for this virus " or "be aware of this latest exploit" etc and i think to myself why bother. What are the chances of getting infected in the first place, secondly anything happens to get past these software there is always a restore image. For us the Computer literate, we know if something is up and are aware if we are infected. How many of you know " How many processes there should be running and the names of them on your PC at any given time for your setup"? We can instantly recognize a strange process.

With all the Hype and the Marketing of AV vendors, its no wonder that the masses are led to paranoia about PC security, and the myth that YOU WILL GET INFECTED and your IDENTITY STOLEN and BANK ACCOUNT emptied if you don't have our software.

My experience in helping others with their PC security is that, its not a bad idea to get infected actually i recommend it. Provided its enforced that they don't do any banking and have restore plan. They will eventually develop a sense for these things and are made aware as to how infections occur in the first place, as we once all did. How else did we learn?

4. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I disabled SRP and enabled ESET's HIPS in learning mode. Once I get rules created I will switch to interactive mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

why not in policy mode so you get a default-denny rule;)

6. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

When I'll be using computer I will have it in interactive mode. That way I can create rules if there are still some missing.
    If somebody else will be using my system, I will definitely put it in policy mode :)

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

8. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Have fun with Interactive mode, you will get fed up sooner than later!
    Policy based mode is rock solid but it WILL block something legit eventually...that's why I just keep my ESET in default mode and let ERP deal with anything the AV misses.

9. Overkill

Nice setup you have currently :thumb:

10. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Just installed One Very Large...Happy New Year...Download...For All my Fellow Wilderites...Happy 2014! Sincerely...Securon

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Overkill it maybe Overkill but i like it:thumb: :thumb: thanks....sincerely.....jmonge
    securon happy new year man:thumb: :thumb:

12. Overkill

Nah It's not overkill, Happy New Year everyone :argh:

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

14. Securon

Good Afternoon! jmonge...Peace...Love...Groovy...Man! Up Up and Away...2014's...here to stay. Sincerely...Securon

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Kaspersky 2014, not bad. Bought a license.

17. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

They may screw up sometimes, but they're definitely smart enough to fix issues and that's what matters most.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good choice my friend as Kaspersky 2014 has one of the most high malware detention rate in the market:thumb: :thumb:

19. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I agree, it's definitely a good choice :thumb:

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

There's no place like home, there's no place like home. Eset :cool:

21. curious george

curious george Registered Member

Cant really go wrong with ESET or Kasperky. Both are really good.

Though I do prefer eset....oh the good old 2.7 days...

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmmm...Interesting

I know that one can use an ESS license with ESS and NOD32 (since NOD32 count like a downgrade)

But one should only be able to use a NOD32 license with NOD32 obviously.

Are you sure that you used ESS with a NOD32 license?

As in you downloaded ESS put in the NOD32 license and the product downloaded VSD's just fine? :doubt: :)

23. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Now that I think about it it may have been v5 of Avira Free that I really liked. Can't remember. I remember hanging onto it for a long time after they'd upgraded to higher version #'s because it kept allowing you to get def. updates with the old version. But eventually that stopped I think... could be wrong. Maybe it was the engine was dated and therefore potentially vulnerable, or both that got me away from it in the end. And I never found a real-time AV I liked as much since.

Now it's on demand scanning with VT Hash Check only before moving any files from a sandbox to my machine. I used to have a cool technique to get it to autoscan in conjunction with a Firefox addon called "Download Statusbar", but when FF changed it's download system with that down arrow thing it didn't work anymore for me (though some claim it still did for them). So now I have a dedication partition for new files introduced to my box sandboxed and run VTHC in that before transferring the files to my machine. In the end it can be considered more secure this way anyhow due to 1 less thing allowed in my "Restrictions" in SBIE for Firefox.

I also have MBAM Free, Hitman Pro, Kaspersky TDSS Killer, GMER, and CCE for full scans. But I really never download anything anymore anyhow other than updates for my OS, browser and add-ons. So not really a need to use them. I run a very static setup now and that's why I went with a VM, where in the past I considered it too impractical.

24. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Where is the big red K?o_O

25. Securon

Good Morning! Eset...Trjam...knows...I know...now we all know. Sage like advice for the new year...Lol! Sincerely...Securon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.