What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Trying out Eset AV. Might as well I have a license sitting around. Waiting for WSA to get the bugs worked out of the Web filter.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

From your sig -> "Eset AV (Max heuristics)" enabling AH under realtime scanning can cause slowdowns so if you do experience that then you know why, AH is enabled only at execution by default. Wich is fine, especially for "high risk" Wilders users ;) Just FWIW :)

3. kjdemuth

Thanks Swex. I didn't even notice that. You see I'm a Eset virgin. Never used it before. I do see that it is enabled. I haven't noticed a slow down though. It is running around 70K, which is a little higher than WSA. It seems to be running well at the moment though.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see, the RAM will stay around 70-100MB but it's not the RAM usage that could be causing the slow down rather the opposite, what I meant with possible slowdown is that it can take more time doing different tasks with AH enabled in realtime. But if you don't "feel" any difference then you're fine I guess. But if/when you do then simply disable AH under real-time in the setup tree but keep it enabled at execution of course :)

5. kjdemuth

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

6. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I forgot about that post lol
    Yea i'm pretty well protected, I just get bored and like to try new things
    That's weird that they have 2 different answers o_O

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha that's what I figured yeah.

Yes Indeed, so wich answer is true :D

8. Overkill

Hopefully the updated faq

9. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! kjdemuth! Running ESET S.S.7 and WSA Security Plus...haven't so far encountered any problems with WSA Webfilter both apps are fully compatible. Go Habs...Go! Go...Pats Go! Lol! Sincerely...Securon

10. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Added VoodooShield. This talk about ESET is tempting me to stray again from WSA. ESET felt a little heavy the couple of times I tried it, but maybe that's just compared to WSA. By "AH" are you talking about advanced heuristics? If so, does ESET install with AH enabled real-time? So a standard install might be faster if that's disabled?

I guess "enabled at execution" means it'll check on programs when they are started?

11. Overkill

What type of pc do you have? ram/cpu etc

12. justenough

I built my computer a couple of years ago.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 720 slightly over-clocked to 3.2 GHz
    RAM: 4 GB 1338 MHz

13. Overkill

Wow and ESET runs slow on your machine? I have a 2008 dual core 3gb laptop and it runs great on it.

14. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Running whats in my sig. Really liking tbis setup TBH. Never thought id return to old avira.

On a different note. I tried the trial to Nod32 AV and i absolutely loved it. Bow if only they could come up with a freebie :D

15. justenough

ESET is by no means slow, what I meant was it's noticeably there at times compared to WSA which has zero impact as far as I can tell.

edit: I've since found that there was a conflict between 2 programs not involving ESET. Since resolving the conflict ESET is running just as fast for me as WSA.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  16. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

Can they been activated from a Finnish IP? Im interested in ENG version only.

17. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I am not 100% familiar with Kaspersky regional activation policy, but they have one. I think in our case it's restricted to the EU as a whole and not further divided into separate countries inside the EU. Just go to a ebay website in the EU (doesn't have to be the German one, can be .co.uk as well). You can ask the vendor in the specific auction as well. The license can be activated with any language version, only from where it's activated counts.

18. kjdemuth

Yeah I'm not sure why I'm having issues with WSA webfilter. I might give it a week and try it again. Maybe interfering with K9 Web? Not really sure. That ESS for $12 is tempting though. Might pair up nicely with WSA and sandboxie.

19. Overkill

I thought wsa and sbie had issues?

20. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Running WSA Complete with ESET Nod32...similar. Runs well together...Securon, are you looking at a new recordo_O:argh:

21. kjdemuth

I know that previously WSA Identity Shield wouldn't work when sandboxed. It was fixed a while back and it runs smoothly with WSA now. The issue that I was having is with the new Web Shield. It lags a little bit on certain sites. I'm sure it just needs some minor tweaking. It's a good combo along with something like VoodooShield. Which should be coming out shortly with Ver2. Hmmm WSA, sandboxie and Voodooshield.

22. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Have you been running WSA with Comodo FW for a while? I have just used the Win 7 and WSA FW...one in and one out. Seems to be okay so far.

23. Overkill

Do you have the thread regarding the fix for that by chance?

24. kjdemuth

Yeah I've been using CFW, WSA and sandboxie for a while. Up until the webfilter was giving me trouble.

25. kjdemuth

Not of the top of my head. Check over at the prevx thread and search for sandboxie. From my experience sandboxie and WSA now work well together. The Identity shield and web shield now work sandboxed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.