What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Sometimes you have to wonder about management. What genius thought it was a good idea to go from such a great OS as 7 to the awkward conglomeration of 8? My guess is that it could only happen if people lower down were afraid to voice their concerns.

2. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Turned on MBAM real-time protection a couple of days ago, no impact, fits in fine so far, on the edge of being a little more than I need running at one time.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I share the strain. I got windows 8 and come February 2014 will make 1 year slugging along with this movie player.

Seriously considering buying a windows 7 disc and start this journey anew.

I never dreamed skipping windows 7 and jumping straight to windows 8 from XP would be such a downgrade, especially where concerns vital software's.

4. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

That combo works well for me...kind of like non-stop weight watchers!:D

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

:D DefenseWall 3.22
    Sandboxie 4.06
    Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325
    Macrium Reflect 4.2

Seconfig XP
    AdMuncher
    OpenDNS
    Opera :D

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i had to uninstall winpatrol plus from all my systems xp332 system and win764 system also as it slow down my system alot:thumbd: ESET Nod antivirus as it was blocking alot of stuff(FP)also removed PeerBlock it blocks alot of legit websites :) also U3 Ultrasurf VPN it disconnect my internet alot and it block my JustinTV entraitement:thumbd: also sandboxie slow my browser(IE)like 3 seconds slower:thumbd: hitmanproalert also anoyed me with the fling pop up and it slow my browser too :) the only 2 software that are staying at the moment are malwarebytes pro and hitmanpro:thumb: :thumb: they dont give me any problems at all:) :thumb: :thumb:

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I usually do it a few times a year, but this is the first time since this past April which is a record for me lol

8. Overkill

I thought there were some issues between avast and sandboxie AGAIN recently?

9. Overkill

Hey guys how are sandboxie and webroot getting along? I want to try it but I want to double check with you all first...any conflicts?

10. explanoit

explanoit Registered Member

Webroot stated compatibility in one of their recent change logs. I run Sandboxie personally and in a business setting with no issues. I've highlighted the software to Webroot development recently and they had no negative comments.

The only thing is that the ID shield doesn't work with sandboxed browsers. I put out a call for dev support on the forums to get a compatibility template built. That is the only component that doesn't seem to function.
    https://community.webroot.com/t5/As...e-compatibility/m-p/67469/highlight/true#M732

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  11. Overkill

Thanks for that info

12. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I'm a newcomer to WSA AV, but on my XP Pro SP3 setup it alerted to a malware site that I collected from the Malware Domains list and alerted me to and quarantined an Eicar download once I elected to recover it to my download folder.

I can't speak to the Identity Shield providing protection though I do have the little padlock sign indicated on the tray icon.

Is there a way to test whether Identity Shield is working with the Sandboxie supervised browser? I'd like to see for myself. Thanks.

13. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! justenough...I believe the lower echelon worker at Microsoft has very minimal input...in relation to product development. Usually marketing firms are approached by a Client and conduct Product Testing and Survey's...I'm wondering how thorough Microsoft was in the testing and assessment of the potential Marketing Segment's. To state the obvious that Cell Phones and tablets are Now...I'm not sure about the future! Anyhow the P.C. user was bypassed as being Future Redundant. For my own purposes... Windows 7 Rocks. Sincerely...Securon

14. Windows 7 Ultmate 32 bits with Windows FW 2-way behind Router with NAS backup

Execution blacklisting
    - Block USB execute access and IE-zone executable download (GPO) & scan all downloads (MSE)
    - Deny execute for Basic Users outside all UAC protected folders (SRP) & scan in user folders (MBAM)
    - Deny elevation/installation of unsigned programs/drivers (UAC & GPO) & EWS quick scan at boot (HMP)

Intrusion mitigation
    - Disabled all risk-ware services (MMC & GPO) and all sysinternals HKCU autoruns for Basic Users (ACL)
    - Run media player, email and internet browser as Basic User (SRP) with secured settings (GPO)
    - Added EMET memory protection and certificate pinning rules for personal HTTPS websites

Browser Security
    - Run internet browser and allowed add-on's (Adobe flash & Reader) in protected mode
    - Filter all URL's with IE's Smartscreen and MBAM's Malicious Web Site blocking
    - Using AdBlockPlus & stop-Google TPL with custom privacy policy of IE11

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  15. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Well, I'm back to the tried and true apps in my signature until something better comes along.

I really liked WSA AV's features and tried to give it a good tryout...but after a day or two I started noticing a variety of issues...primarily after logging in at boot up. Also noticed that the firewall wasn't picking up active connections.

So...I'm back with the apps I brought to the dance to start with.

16. mattfrog

mattfrog Registered Member

Still running ESET Smart Security 7, a product that seems to improve greatly with every release.

My bank, however, provides Kaspersky for free, and I don't know whether I'm only tempted because it's free :D

And then there's Emsisoft, which I would love to use... :argh: :ninja:

17. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Hi Kees.
    Adobe Reader ?

http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/artikel//adobe-java-make-windows-insecure/

Uhm....uhm.....mumble....mumble !!

18. Yes, Adobe is a good example of how attack surface combined with mixing data and code (content exploits) is asking for the sky to fall down: KLOC * scripted content = "to many test cases" = "to many exploitable errors" due to time/budget restrictions.

Unfortunately Dutch tax agency has intelligent forms (for business users) which require Adobe. I run it with forced protected mode, javascript disabled, disabling other content download/execution, so I trust I am well covered (only allowing scripts for these tax-forms).

19. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Appguard (Default), Sandboxie and WSA. Wow. Super light but super tight. I really don't mind the lack of a firewall. I think that windows firewall along with WSA is enough. That and I don't think anything will get past either sandboxie or Appguard. If it does I still have WSA keeping an eye on things.
    Why haven't I tried this before exactly? Duh. :ouch:

20. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Keep an eye on the active connections in the WSA firewall and see if it is actually properly monitoring them.

I noticed that I saw them initially and then poof! they were gone. (Same after a quick reinstall.)

The only other apps I had running alongside were MBAM Pro and Sandboxie.
    (Windows firewall for inbound.)

Hopefully your experience will be different...but between the instability issues and the firewall, I didn't feel secure.

By the way, I found that the web filtering worked within Sandboxie for blocking sites...and it also alerted to downloaded Eicar file when recovered within Sandboxie. So that was promising. I know that some folks had issues in the past.

21. musings4

musings4 Registered Member

I'm back to using Emsisoft Internet Suite (EAM + OA Premium) after toying with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Although Defender was sufficient enough on basic tasks, I still wanted more granularity and it boiled down to Comodo and Emsisoft. I'm still on a 3 year license which I brought cheap last year ($60 = :D ) so I'm just going to stick with this combo for the time being. Hey Noob, you've been using Online Armor, do you know why the Run Safer function doesn't work when right-clicking an app? I'm using Windows 8.1 and the latest version so perhaps it's a compatibility issue. Thanks in advance

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  22. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

23. musings4

musings4 Registered Member

Appreciate that info FleischmannTV. However, there was no mention of how to run programs via Run Safer. I guess they discarded it in the latest version (7.0.0.1886). So my assumption in that thread is that Run Safer will hamper your security instead of increasing it?

24. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Blue,
    I've never had an issue with the active connections. They're currently monitoring about 12 connections and the associated ports. That stinks that you couldn't get it to work. I was surprised that you picked it up. Every system has conflicts for some reason. I was having a tough time with sandboxie for a while. I uninstalled firefox, cleaned all the cache, folders and registry. Installed the newest version and BAM! everything worked again. So much for installed or upgrading over the top. Thankfully WSA works for me and it gets along with Appguard and sandboxie.
    I haven't received the newest web filter so I guess I'll have to wait and see if it works for me. With my luck it probably won't. ;)

25. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Back to Emsisoft and WSA Complete....in honor of Noob!:thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.