What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Re: Webroot SecureAnywhere: The Greatest or The Worst

I second that commotion.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Have tried all the combinations and like this best: and the Newegg $4.95 ESET Black Friday deal does help my decision!
    WSA Complete-ESET NOD32 !:thumb:

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Comodo Firewall, WSA IS, Qihoo 360 IS. Cloud perfection. Nice and light. Running firefox sandboxed through CFW. Why didn't I think of this before?

4. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternooon! Outpost Pro Firewall...Avast Pro A/V...WSA Security Plus...HMP 3.7...HMP 2.5 Alert...Call Donner...Call Blitzen...Merry Malware Free Xmas...Lol! Sincerely...Securon

5. Rompin Raider

How is Q360 now? I tried it several moths back when it came on the scene...everyone liked it at first but kind of faded. Let us know how it runs now.:)

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Rompin it's pretty good. It's pretty light and detection is really good. It updates everyday like it supposed to. I have it running with WSA for backup. Since both of them are cloud based things stay light. I really don't use the sandbox that came with it. I more interested in it's detection and proactive defense.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Rompin Raider:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i am complete:thumb:

9. Securon

Good Evening! jmonge...excellent blend...Tight...Light...& Lethal. Sincerely...Securon

10. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

After re-installing windows from scratch I have removed winpatrol and privatefirewall from my setup, the rest is the same in my sig :)

Merry Christmas!

11. uppreisnarmadur

uppreisnarmadur Registered Member

How often do you do a re-install of Windows? I myself have done a re-install at least five times with one machine within a year-and-a-half.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Havent used the HMP license i bought hahahaha
    I will keep it for an emergency . . . unless there is another black friday promo next year. :D

13. explanoit

explanoit Registered Member

I run over 1400+ Webroot SecureAnywhere endpoints at work. We were the first company past 1000+ endpoints (according to someone I spoke with in support) just a month after public business release in March 2012. I haven't seen anyone else post publicly with numbers above that, I'm really not sure where we are in size of deployment when it comes to non-MSP use.

I've had to call Webroot about three times about infections. There was a rootkit that seemed to get past it in mid 2012 but nothing since then. Very impressive considering the absolute *incredible amounts of swear words about previous AV solution removed.*

I have plenty of questions about the approach and testing results. But the approach seems to work. Webroot is just terrible at documenting the product or being convincing in a technical manner in sales material. I've written pages and pages of feedback about it - some of which I've sent in and some I haven't

Personally, I recommend no one use a computer without Webroot, but I recommend they probably use something else with it that does more traditional on-client heuristics. That advice may change once I figure out exactly what the new web shield is supposed to do.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  14. explanoit

explanoit Registered Member

The WSA sandbox is not this restrictive in my experience. Untrusted files are giving a lot of lee-way. I'd tell you exactly, but of course Webroot hasn't documented it. :(

15. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Still Running avast! sandboxie and CryptoPrevent and im still happy with it so im sticking to it.:thumb:

16. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Welp ... dumped Win 8 and went back to Win 7.

I've had 8 or so years of almost flawless Sandboxie compatibility and usage alongside the applications I've protected using it. But this seems to have ended with Win 8. So Win 8 is gone!

Win 7 - Sandboxie - Shadow Defender - Look 'n' Stop firewall, is now what I'm working with.

No running anti virus. Fortnightly scans using Eset Online Scanner is all I can be bothered doing, seeing Shadow Defender reverts the system to 'clean state' at every boot.

Look 'n' Stop doesn't work with Win 8, for me. And LiveMail @Win 8 doesn't work with Sandboxie, for me. Me cares more about having a decent firewall and Sandboxie protection than to continue with Win 8.

17. Rompin Raider

I feel your pain...tried Win 8 twice and came back to Win 7 both times. Maybe I'm old fashion but just didn't like it.:mad:

18. Securon

Good Morning! Windows 8 unfortunately wasn't designed for desktop users. My own take on it...is Microsoft should of released an O/S built specifically for the Smart Phone...Tablet...Netbook...and Laptop Target Market. For us dedicated Desktop users Windows 7...is on my system super secure...and my own favourite Windows O/S. Microsoft should of released a product line called Microsoft Touch O/S. Trying to integrate it with traditional useage continues to be a Massive Mistake in misguided Marketing. And yes Rompin we are now chronologically as you've stated Old Fashioned. Sincerely...Securon

19. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Trying out a new combo:

WSA AV, MBAM Pro, Sandboxie (Lifetime)

(To be backed up by Shadow Defender once I get all the settings dialed in for WSA.)

20. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Blues
    Any reason you have discarded Emsisoft, i know you were a staunch supporter.

21. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

And I remain an advocate of their software.

When EAM went to the current version it didn't play well on my system. The prior version was great.

The current version of OA was working fine after I received some help from Fabian getting the old version uninstalled. (The new version was problematic when it was installed on top of the old.)

I had removed EAM and was going without real-time AV until yesterday when I found out that my bank was offering WSA AV for free.

Since WSA has a behavior blocker, keylogger protection and firewall for outbound connections which works in concert with the Windows Firewall, I thought I'd test it out on its own to save resources and see how it goes.

(I'm primarily concerned with online protection since Sandboxie and Shadow Defender keep my "real" system clean, so this made sense to me.)

Finally, I discussed this with Kees before making any changes...and in fact, he recommended the changes I employed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

22. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Thanks Blues, just curious :)
    Have fun!

23. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Thanks, mate. Cheers!

24. Rompin Raider

Thanks!:thumb: :'(

25. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Nice post, I enjoyed reading about your experience with WSA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.