What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Well to balance up things, I have put it on my wife's laptop (because she shops on-line) and will keep it because of the identity guard feature.

During PrevX pre-beta, closed beta and beta-period I tested PrevX a lot (yes with four tweaks of which two are implemented as standard now) using a honeypot of a friend who is a malware reverse engineer for a bank.

I had not seen such spectacular results (catching so much) since Avira added behavioral analysis (also pre-beta testing). I expected the results of this new feature to make WSA the top dog of real world tests. It did not happen. For marketing reasons it is better to score high on those tests, because an AV should provide trust, not require faith.

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

:D LOL…. Yep. And thankfully that slimeball carnival barker and his load of BS was pushed overboard from the good ship Wilders. Good times.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Gotta agree again. Dont get me wrong but, it has everything, but detection.

Let me explain why. If something that may be bad, but hasnt been decided is bad, it is allowed to run, but not really run. "Stop"

So does this mean that something that you cant detect, but do detect because it is only allowed to somewhat run until a later date? What if is something I need to install to perform a task.Am I allowed to use this and perform the task, or only under limited ability until at a later date, you give me full ability.

Bottom line is folks, you either detect it or you miss it. Anything else is just a sig added at a later date.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i wanted to believe that also but i was wrong:D

5. Windows 7 Ultmate 32 bits with WFW 2-way and NAS backup

Execution restrictions
    - Block USB execute access and IE-zone executable download (GPO)
    - Deny execute for Basic Users outside all UAC protected folders (SRP)
    - Deny elevation/installation of unsigned programs/drivers (UAC & GPO)

Intrusion mitigation
    - Disabled risk-ware services (GPO) and all HKCU autoruns for Basic Users (ACL)
    - Secured settings of PDF-reader, media player, email and internet browser (GPO)
    - Added EMET memory protection & MSE auto-scan of browser/email downloads

Browser protection
    - Run web browser and plug-ins in protected mode with EMET HTTPS pinning
    - Filter URLs with Smartscreen and Ads with AdBlockPlus & stop-Google TPL
    - Using AVG Secure search for safety and Startpage search for privacy

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Speak the Devils name and you will hear the flapping of his wings.;)

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I spaketh not his name! :eek:

8. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Maybe I'll try it one of these days Securon, however I'm thinking that seeing I have a router firewall and am using Windows firewall that they may be enough.

Go Riders!!

9. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

You have always been a "HIPS" guy!:D

10. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Digmor...nothing at all wrong with the Windows Firewall especially with Windows 7. And even though your bleeding green...it will soon be black and gold...Oskee Wee Wee...Oskee Wah...Wah...Tigers eat em'raw...Lol! Sincerely...Securon

11. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Rompin...This is a family show...enough of the double Entendres! Lol! Sincerely...Securon

12. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Added EMET 4.1 to Win 8 64 bit. Behind standard account. So far so good.

13. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I disagree - if Webroot doesn't block the original file execution but does block every change made by the file, shouldn't that count? This is ignoring journaling/rollback/ID Shield/etc: we have a great deal of our protection based on what a file does and the first time it tries to do something (not just sit idle), Webroot will step in and stop it. This is not covered by on-demand tests or AV tests, and has been the case all along with Prevx/Webroot alike.

14. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I agree completely. Once we have some tests which can show Webroot alongside the other vendors using an approach which accurately reflects not only what we're doing but also what several other vendors have expressed concern about from the various testing organizations, we'll see a considerably different picture. If we fail then, and I strongly doubt we will because I see how well protected our users are, there would be a real issue which we'd need to fix.

15. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

@ PrevxHelp - Truth be told I took myself and my client base away from your products some time ago. There has been too many issues going on for too long. From purely a consumer viewpoint, I become weary of vendors that continually promise they are going to improve their product and it takes years to accomplish anything. I normally only type to vendor help when there is some type of positive action that can be taken to help rectify a given situation. Because I left as a dissatisfied customer it is now a mostly moot situation. I am saying what I am saying so you understand that your company is losing business. In a free market based economy companies either improve or lose money. I valued your product line at one point. I would like to get back to that point.

16. This is not a WSA thread, I think discussion should be relocated.

As stated, an AV should provide trust not require faith. Because I have done some real malware testing I have faith in WSA (but as said I should not have), I have seen how it dealt with unknown processes, allowing them to run as UNTRUSTED.

a) Running (new malware) unknown processes as UNTRUSTED means that the executable can't touch system objects. Not being able to change system level objects means that it can't do much (permanent) harm. I known this is tricky because a staged intrusion could circumvent this, but the advanced logging should (when it works as promised) also track binaries spawned/invoked/downloaded by this malware (as explained at c).

b) Main harm which could be done in the twilight zone when running as UNTRUSTED was key logging/MITB attacks. I have seen (also confirmed by independent tests) WSA Identity protection to be top notch on this field. So WSA deals with the danger. I can also understand that it feels uncomfortable to have potential malware running on your system (but it can't touch your banking/shopping stuff).

c) UNTRUSTED proces actions are logged (file/registry changes) so that they can be un-done afterwards. To be honest I have not seen this in action, because I was not allowed to share/disclose the malware of my friends honeypot (he needed time to reverse engineer and disclosure was through normal malware fighter channels).

Marketing wise I can understand people moving away from WSA when it performs average in tests.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
  17. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Move your agenda to WSA forum....not needed here!

18. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Webroot SecureAnywhere: The Greatest or The Worst

I hereby rename this thread --

Webroot SecureAnywhere: “The Greatest AV since AVs were invented”, or “The Worst Product since SuckyAntiSpyware.” You decide.

Thank you.

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is going to be my lifetime software on and off but i will not buy security software ever again :)

20. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

I agree!

21. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x86

Firewall:
    Router NAT/SPI (Password Protected)
    Look’n’Stop Firewall 2.07 (Phant0m’s Ruleset)(Password Protected)

Anti-Virus:
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.19

HIPS/Blocking/Hardening:
    DefenseWall HIPS/Personal Firewall 3.22
    VoodooShield 1.28 Beta
    EMET 4.1 (Internet facing applications & MS Office)
    SpywareBlaster 5.0 (Ad-Aware custom blocking list)

Several on demand scanners.

22. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Update your EAM.

23. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Still with Avira free and Privatefirewall.Sandboxie on demand.And Wondershare Time Freeze.

24. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

I'm now running a rather bare bones security setup. Chrome and EMET are really my only protections (full setup in sig). Trading inconvenience from additional software for an emphasis on quick recovery and surfing smartly.

25. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

It auto updated. Forgot to update the version number for this thread. Thanks for noticing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.