What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Criss

Criss Registered Member

Mine is :

[Real-time]
    Avira antivir premium
    Mamutu

[On-demand]
    Superantispyware
    Malwarebytes antimalware
    Sandboxie

[Other]
    Firefox with noscript

Anyone gt suggestion for me to add or replace any programme? Or it is ok with this setup? :D

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

how is mamutu?i heard good coments about it

3. Criss

Criss Registered Member

Personally, i think mamutu is a good programme to complement avira. What i like abt it is the community voting system which can help me in deciding whether to block or allow the programme, which is good for me. :D

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thats good:thumb:

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

It's a very good behaviour IDS: naturally, it's not a real HIPS and it can't ensure the HIPS protection.

6. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

That also means that it gives less popups, only for suspicious activities, while HIPS alert you of every modification.:D

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Ya, but it also means that Mamutu doesn't ensure the total control on your system, his applications, processes, programs.;)

8. Criss

Criss Registered Member

That why i use it to complement avira. :cool:

9. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Guys, I don´t want to be a wiseacre, but check out the definitions and differences between Intrusion Prevention System and Intrusion Detection System before using those too widely. If it alerts before the change, it prevents. If it alerts after the change, it detects. AFAIK, "behavior blockers" (as e.g. TF, Mamutu) are limited HIPS type of applications, monitoring a few selected key areas which usually are a target for malicious activities, in purpose of avoiding pop-up fatigue for the user.

/C.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  10. Criss

Criss Registered Member

Than it mean that mamutu alert only after the changes is made?? This is bad. :doubt:

11. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

That's not true. It just means that it won't give you popups for every single system modifications but only for dangerous/suspicious behaviours.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so it will be a good idea to have them both a beahabiour blocker and a full feature hips running together instead of a antivirus and still get a strong protection without the need of a antivirus:thumb: probably:D yes:thumb: i dont have an antivirus for long time now and no infections so far:thumb: my taste:D

13. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

IMO, using both a "behavior blocker" (limited monitoring) and a "classic" HIPS (wide monitoring) together is redundant of obvious reasons.

/C.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so in this case or i will say in my case i will prefer a clasical hips:thumb:

15. evilscribble

evilscribble Registered Member

IMO, IDS > HIPS because with HIPS, you spend most of your time dealing with popups that are usually "false positives" whereas an IDS only pops up when there is a real threat to your system, eg. keylogger, DLL/code injection, kernel driver loading, changes to physical memory, etc.

If you have the time, then go ahead and use a HIPS but those of us who do not have the time to deal with popups about everything will use an IDS such as Zemana Antilogger.

16. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

There´s no difference in the amount of alerts/pop-ups generated between an IDS and an IPS type of application. Ones an object is flagged for alerting, it will do it regardless if the alert comes before or after the change. What you are talking about is the detection span of the monitoring, which is a consequence of either the sensitivity level in its detection, or the type of application (class).

/C.

17. evilscribble

evilscribble Registered Member

First of all you are incorrect in thinking that an IDS alerts AFTER a change and that an IPS alerts BEFORE (you came to this conclusion just from reading what the letters stand for). Old IDS did alert after a change but modern IDS are actually IPS but their authors prefer to use the "IDS" tag. And secondly, there is a pattern in the product lines of IDS where they have a smaller detection range compared to IPS. This does not necessarily mean less security if it used together with a signature-based detection system. For example, an IPS like Comodo will alert you everytime a program accesses the COM interface. Almost every program out there does this because it is required to establish IPC. HIPS are especially designed for paranoid users, eg. server administrators that only run a certain set of programs on their machine.

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

UPDATED LIST \ 10-27-2008

My Computer - Vista Ultimate SP1

ACITVE

Online Armor AV+ v3 3.0.0.190 (Paid)
    Avira Antivir Personal 8.2.0.334 (Free)
    SUPERAntispyware 4.21.1004 (Paid)
    Sandboxie 3.31.14 (Paid)

Changes are just newer versions of Avira and Sandboxie.

dja2k

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

My recent experience with MAMUTU is been nothing short of completely positive. And also i can confirm that MAMUTU alerts, at least in the tests i put it thru, in advance of an interaction with the system.

On the redundancy mention.

That's a matter of purpose more so than opinion i think.

For the same reason running Script Trap could be considered redundancy when running a Very Strong! HIPS like EQS for example, it can still serve a useful purpose, and does for me anyway, as a backup secondary line of interruption in case something evaded a certain rule in the HIPS.

MAMUTU compliments EQS 4 me in much the same way MBAM would compliment SAS and vice-versa.

On an aside, MAMUTU is much more responsive than the current TF 4, something i wish wasn't so, but it (TF 4) is being reported by others to cause a pronounced "lag" or "delay" as well as taxing resources a bit much.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ok i clean my pc(ccleaner) and install only EQSecure 3.41:D
    note:looking a solid ligth firewall,do you know any?thanks

21. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

You could run something like Online Armor Free with HIPS deactivated if you like.

dja2k

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will give it another try.do you know if eqsecure works good with online armor?thanks for replying:thumb:

23. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

EQSecure 3.41 with Alcyon's ruleset works with Online Armor 2.1.0.131.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

great news is it the lates online armor?

25. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

No, version 2.1.0.131 is not the latest, it was the final/stable version before V3. Version 3.0.0.190 is the latest which you can get via the site. I have not tested EQSecure with version 3.0.0.190, because that version is not automatically downloaded. (I will only start using version 3.0.0.190 when it will be downloaded automatically.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.