What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Running KIS 2014.
    A most excellent product with a really nice interface.
    Runs light on my PC.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

page42 here mbampro in real time is very fast when running alone:thumb:
    the detention is very strong

3. explanoit

explanoit Registered Member

I'm not including everything (come at me, China) but I feel comfortable disclosing the following. I've played with a lot of stuff so I feel this may be helpful to others. This is a config I also use on my gaming computer so performance is a critical factor.

I'm constantly switching it up, but this is the overall configuration right now:

- Windows 8.1 Pro x64 UEFI /w SecureBoot
    - Microsoft EMET
    - Hyper-V virtual machines (including hardened Linux LiveCD VM for extremely dangerous browsing)
    - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete (Beta channel, max heuristics, daily log viewing)
    - Kaspersky Internet Security 2014
    - Zemana AntiLogger
    - HitmanPro.Alert
    - Sandboxie
    - OpenDNS
    - IE11 with Protected Mode and 64-bit EPM
    - Firefox with 13 different security-related extensions including HTTPS-Everywhere, NoScript, RequestPolicy

Unfortunately, I've had subtle conflicts between Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Webroot so I don't use that anymore, as much as I want.

I have a lifetime license to MalwareBytes Pro but with my current config I'm focusing on anti-exploit and 0day protection so I don't feel the need to have it loaded. I don't think MBAM would ever come into play with the way I use my computer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Really? that bad?

5. explanoit

Webroot performs very poorly in standard on-demand testing. It also don't focus nearly as much on PUA. Their approach works, but it's something that requires lots of background and explanation.

However, since it has literally no measurable performance impact according to tests and does things no other product does, I would never replace it. You can add other engines on top of it if you want.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. Overkill

Would it work well with ESETN32?

7. explanoit

(I always turn into a shill for Webroot whenever discussing it, sorry)
    Yes, I haven't heard of any compatibility issues. It's an extremely compatible product since the technology it's built off of was actually designed to work alongside other antivirus.

For example, I installed Kaspersky on top of Webroot and there are no issues.

8. Overkill

I thought webroot was so good since lots of wilders peeps use it
    Thanks, I may try it soon

9. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Totally agree. MBAM Pro and Sandboxie. I never leave home without 'em.:thumb:

10. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Antivirus are mainly supposed to prevent not disinfect

WSA worked flawlessly whenever i have used it

11. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! WSA Security Plus...Avast A/V Pro...and AppGuard. Now WSA if I have the settings at Max Heuristics tends I've found to be a touch over aggressive ...and Identifying some Apps as F.P.'s. Somewhat annoying but not enough at the moment in wanting me to remove it. But the disturbing part is it seems Webroot and the testing firms can't put together a testing procedure that can offer clarity and draw a conclusive set of measurements attesting to it's effectiveness. I hope this issue is resolved in the New Year. But Webroot I've found is compatible with all of my apps...I have found that I have to remove Webroot periodically prior to installing other apps...but the problem certainly doesn't fall to Webroot. Sincerely...Securon

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I just received another (Dell) Windows 7 disc from a friend that had it laying around and now uses 8. It's the Ultimate version, 64-bit SP1. The one I bought was Win7 Pro SP1 32-bit.

I'm convinced that it's impossible to find a Dell Win7 Ultimate 32-bit disc... but that's besides the point here. It's easier to find the holy grail.

So now I'm having second thoughts as to which one to use. My first instinct is to stay on 32-bit for now, but it's tempting, especially after reading more about the differences between regular SRP & AppLocker and learning more about the latter (and being a geek and prone to wanting to play with it).

So what "was" a clear choice is now on my mind in an OCD way. Either way, come April 2014 XP will only be used on an old box I'm keeping around as a retro gaming machine. I'm making the switch... but to what?

Recommendations for whatever horse you back (a) without talking about the other horse (b) are welcome.

13. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Luciddream, the only banal fact I know about 32 vs 64 is that 32-bit is more secure so if your RAM + Video memory is not larger 4GB than why not to stay on 32-bit?

Now I'm using/mantaining 3 PC 32-bit and 2 PC 64-bit with Win-7 and I see no great difference with respect to performance except that 64-bit have more RAM.

14. guest

guest Guest

I beg your pardon? o_O

15. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I had to make the decision twice and both times I decided for the 32 bit system. The first 32 bit W7 laptop that I bought was so nice that when it got stolen, I went looking for another one exactly the same model, it was hard to find, I think it was the last one sold like it in my country but I was able to get it. I could have gotten a W8 64 bit computer with more memory and "nicer" version for less money but I didn't ponder about it and went for the discontinued W7 32 bit version. That ought tell you how good I feel about my W7 32 bit laptop.

The main reason. I prefer to get computers as bare as possible, my 32 bit laptop came with some extras that I was able to get rid of easily and quickly and they were not that many, I think 64 bit computers come with a lot more stuff that is unnecessary for me. For me the choice was easy. If you play games or need a lot of applications running at the same time or use an application that uses a huge amount of memory, I think those are good reasons to get 64 bit instead. In my personal case, to this day, I haven't needed extra memory, 2 GB memory has been plenty.

Bo

16. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

The only reason I went 64 bit was it came preloaded with Win8 64bit. That along with the 64bit proc. I also tend to use VM a lot and need at least 8gb of mem for it to run smoothly.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

He probably relies more on third-party than native security. Either way, the difference in the real world is so negligible that it shouldn't even affect your purchasing decisions.

18. guest

guest Guest

Depends. If we're talking about PatchGuard and the beloved security software failed to properly protect the user then that will definitely affect the purchasing decision.

19. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Thanks for the insight. I'll start testing the individually then gradually start pairing them up and see how I like them.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Amen brother. After 3 years of broken promises, I to, have totally given up on this product to actually protect. Great sales pitch but I dont do Amway.:rolleyes:

21. luciddream

I have 4 currently, but can upgrade to 8 if I want, so that's a non-factor. Well... maybe not, as I run a VM. And while on XP it's smooth at 4 GB of RAM, perhaps this would not be enough on Win7? So that may force my hand to x64

And I had almost forgotten about Patchguard. Sheesh, glad it was brought up, another reason to stick with 32-bit. I wouldn't say I rely "more" on 3'rd party software. I rely mostly on hardening, OS policy, and removing attack surface... all before then adding software to cover what I think's left. This is why I'm wondering so much about AppLocker and if I'd want it over D+. I'm thinking not, which again leads me to 32-bit.

22. luciddream

Right now on XP, you had better believe I rely on it, lol. But even now I'd still say I rely more on not native software, but hardening measures far more than 3P software. Probably 500 tweaks for every 1 piece of software.

But on Win7 I'm sure I won't "have" to use as much software. But will I want to anyway though?... will the other options just not be adequate enough, like Windows Defender? Or the native imaging? I'll almost definitely still want to use Sandboxie since I sandbox more than just a browser, and that said browser for me is Firefox anyway which isn't covered natively (only IE & Chrome).

So most things point me toward 32-bit at this time. I'll just keep the disc on hand for if/when the times change by it's EOL and I stick that 8 gigs of RAM in there.

23. luciddream

If I could just find one of those elusive Dell Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit discs, then there'd be a real cause for discussion. Because I'm pretty certain I wanna stick to 32-bit. But not sure I don't want AppLocker on the other hand... though I am sure I prefer TrueCrypt over BitLocker.

But for the love of god I don't see any of these discs anymore. I see an archived page for where a guy once had 5 to sell, and they did, fast I'm sure, and never saw any more again.

Please someone just convince me I'm better off with regular Win7 SRP and Comodo D+ to end this OCD episode of mine... lol, and accept my preemptive thanks.

24. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

J_L:

I thoroughly disagree with you when it comes to the Linux world. If you go 64-bit all the way, max out your ram and go to 64-bit linux in the model Mirimir is suggesting, you gain a system that that is capable of fully utilizing the benefits of isolation through VM's.

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@luciddream: There are plenty of options, my own extra large setup is fully working under Windows 7 64-bit. You won't have any problems running current versions of Sandboxie.

@RollingThunder: You don't purchase Linux. :D Linux malware is nothing compared to Windows for desktop users anyways. By isolation through VM's do you mean more RAM or something else?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.