What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. joshua19

joshua19 Registered Member

Oh you mean superantispyware no I don't use that anymore,but I do think its a great product.

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

My postponement is 2 things... sheer laziness, and nostalgia. I do believe my XP box is currently just as secure though, but come April 2014 this certainly will not be the case. And also my XP box is faster than any Win7 one I've ever seen.

I'm no longer reluctant to make the change though as I once was. I only hope I can run all my emulators for retro consoles on it so I don't have to keep another box hooked up for that. I went with a version with "XP Mode" hoping it may assist me in this.

3. uppreisnarmadur

uppreisnarmadur Registered Member

In my experience it failed to catch what other products caught. It sure does find tracker cookies though. Until I eliminated that problem long ago I have no real use for it but it still resides on my system for the purpose of why not have every method available to combat malware.

4. luciddream

It "was" a great product. Same with Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and Adaware. Now they're in the security app graveyard.

I wouldn't quite put WinPatrol there yet. It still has some value for people that don't want a complicated HIPS but want some of the basic functionality, like hijacks and unregistered changes. In fact I still put it on some machines I work on.

5. luciddream

Oh, and since I value your opinion so much Page, and our tastes seem to mirror one another in so many regards, I'd like your take on this...

Not sure if you use HIPS, but if so would you recommend using the integrated Win7 FW along with something like Malware Defender, or disable the integrated FW and use Comodo FW/D+? This is something I'm mulling over. Generally I like using integrated means as much as possible and keeping the 3'rd party software to a minimum, but only as long as it's beneficial.

I'm also considering just using Windows Defender. Even though I don't like real-time AV's and will probably shell-scan new files with the likes of VTHC & MBAM Free, at least WD is integrated already, light, and won't cause conflicts. Or I may just use the full CIS suite along with the AV. This also will take conflict out of the equation, and I hear adds hardly any footprint over just using the FW & D+.

Have you used the integrated sandboxing/integrity levels with IE or Chrome? What is your take on it vs. Sandboxie? I wish to sandbox more than just my browser anyway, so I'll probably just go with SBIE. But still would like to hear about how it works.

6. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Don't know if I've covered this adequately recently, but you might consider that unless they are specifically written to work well together, having multiple security programs installed that do the same thing can be counterproductive because while they are interfering with each other something can slip by. Also the more programs you have installed the larger your attack surface is. :)

7. uppreisnarmadur

uppreisnarmadur Registered Member

I usually check to see if the security programs play nice with each other, and for what I have for real-time protection, things seem okay.

8. justenough

Thank you Page42 for the detailed explanation of how you use KeePass. I tried yet again the latest Sdbxie beta with LastPass, same trouble as before. So off LP goes and this time I'll put in a real effort to adapt to KeePass. I'll comment later about how it's going. And Sandboxie is back. :thumb:

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

ld, you are much better at this stuff than me, but I appreciate you asking. Yes I run CFW/D+. I prefer it over W7 FW because of extra configurability and the HIPS. That said, I do not have vast experience with any native FW as I always opt for 3rd party. I think that this is a difference between you and I. I can see that you like integrated.

Here is how I have CFW/D+ set up...

FW set Safe Mode
    Auto Sandbox set Partially Limited
    HIPS set Safe Mode
    I made most/many of the changes that Chiron suggests for hardening.

I have never used either CIS or CFW with the AV. My Comodo preferences and experience lean toward the FW and the HIPS, period. One simply does not hear much in the way of praise for Comodo's AV, so I avoid it.

I am not utilizing Comodo's sandbox. I have it set to Partially Limited (which actually is a good description of my overall knowledge of their sandbox... partially limited). Whenever given an option by CFW/D+ to sandbox or not to sandbox, I do not sandbox. I am committing what some of the 'Attack Surface' crowd around these parts would deem high treason, or perhaps more accurately, high stupidity. By that I mean, I run Chrome inside Sandboxie and I am fine with it. I don't think too much about changing what I am doing... I don't want to mess with success... though I understand that what I am branding 'success' may in fact be simply 'good luck up until this point'.

I am a Sandboxie fanboy, though I try my best not to push that on other people. It works for me, but I'm not foolish enough to conclude that it must therefore also work for someone else! ;)

HTH

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Justenough, I very much look forward to feedback from you about KeePass.
    Also glad to hear you have Sandboxie back on board. Cornerstone security is what it is. :)

11. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Back to my all time favourites, the mighty triumvirate of Avast 2014 free, MBAM, and Online Armour free firewall.... throw in a little bit of MBAE for a little spice....ka ching..unstoppable.

12. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

I removed avast 2014 for avira 2014 free with web protection. (no toolbar).
    No more slowdowns.
    No more behaviour shield. (now intergtrated with file...)
    No more emergency updates.

13. joshua19

Sir I think you already said that before.

14. joshua19

@uppreisnarmadur Yea same here.It did find alot of tracker cookies.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  15. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Was running without an anti-virus program for quite awhile but have just installed MSE..running along with MBAM pro. The rest is in my signature.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sounds like our set ups are the same...
    Sandboxie and some other stuff. :cool:

17. joshua19

Hmm I wouldn't know its been more then a year since I last tried superantispyware still I think it should be in the hall of fame.And I don't know much about spybot S&D (spybot search and destroy) I hear it was good at detecting botnets?I think.Now winpatrol I use to use that,but see my pc was running far too slow with all the other softwares I had,so sadly I had to remove it.

18. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I am really happy that the LastPass issue with Chrome running in Sandboxie gave me the impetus to give Firefox another try. It runs very smooth and on top of that I've realized how muched I've missed the add-ons from the Firefox community. They just seem so much more mature and some of the really good ones you don't get for Chrome. The icing on the cake is that I no longer need to ask myself if I should run the browser in Sandboxie because that was always the question with Chrome. Continuity of concept sure feels good.

19. justenough

This is getting eerie, I am also running exactly the same thing. What are the odds?

KeePass adaptation progressing apace.

20. nsm0220

nsm0220 Registered Member

still the same for me

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO:thumb: :thumb:
    going to permantly remove WebRo0t AntiVirus 2o14 due to its poor malware detention

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Funny!

Very good to hear. At least this way you are giving it a good look and will know better what it is about when the time comes that tzuk gets SBIE working okay with LastPass (not that it is his responsibility).

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Real time, jmonge?

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good man. ;)
    I read in the forums where a lot of folks say it slows 'em down.
    I never have experienced that.
    Other programs may come and go for me, but MBAM Pro (in real time) is a constant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.