What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Still running Avast! Free EMET and K9 Web Protection:thumb:

2. justenough

justenough Registered Member

3. justenough

I'm missing Sandboxie.:'(

Trying Webutation.

4. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I replaced Norton DNS with my ISP's. They are much faster...

5. imdb

imdb Registered Member

lemme get this straight. you mean you use both nod32 & wsa as resident?
    i thought it was not a good practice to use two av's at the same time.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap together without any problems and also mbampro:)
    do I really need them all?
    maybe :)

7. justenough

"Webroot claims compatibility with virtually every other antivirus, but it does check for incompatible software." -PCMag review of WSA 2014
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425546,00.asp

8. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Wsa is known as "companion Av" and can be safely run with other AVs. It is designed that way...

EDIT: justenough is typing quicker than me :)

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Same as MBAM Pro.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Why not add it back? It's a great app. It offers solid protection and I can use my WSA with it.;)

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

OK that is one thing you have missed by not visiting Wilders so often ;). WSA is basically = Prevx4 but much improved, Webroot acquired Prevx a couple years back. And Prevx was compatible with other AV's and so is WSA, there are a couple of AVs wich it doesn't play as good with all the time from what we have seen, but in 90% of the cases it works fine. But I always use one AV/AM at the time, so I would use WSA on it's own even if I could use it together with another product if I wanted to. But each to their own :)

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I gave nod32 antivirus a rest for now:) and added sandboxie;)

13. justenough

I'm still on the fence about it after what was said on pages 1274 and 1275 of this thread, and the link that J_L put up: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=350960 (where there is a link to this from Bromium Labs: http://labs.bromium.com/2013/07/23/application-sandboxes-a-pen-testers-perspective/

One consideration is that I've just learned is that Bromium Labs has a competing product to Sandboxie, though that doesn't necessarily invalidate what their conclusions are.

I don't have any technical knowledge in how computer software works, so have to depend on what others say who do have that knowledge. From what I can tell the exploits that Sandboxie might be vulnerable to happen on the kernel level and if things have gotten that far there's not much that can protect the computer at that point.

They say that Chrome's sandbox is strong as it is, and adding Sandboxie on top of that doesn't give you a lot for the price you pay in adding code that gives more attack surface. If relying on Chrome's sandbox, it seems to be a good idea to keep the OS and maybe other software patched and up-to-date. Also running in incognito mode might help.

But these attacks that Bromium Labs is talking about aren't being used much, and there aren't reports at Sandboxie forums about these sorts of breaches. It's said that version 4 of Sandboxie deals with new threats and that tzuk, as he has in the past, will deal with any problems that show up.

My name here is justenough for a reason, I've done a lot of solo backpacking for weeks at a time and I think that experience has influenced how I look at security, which is having the right tools and equipment needed for survival without getting in the way of being able to enjoy what you are there for in the first place.

I'm leaning towards adding Sandboxie back because it fit in so well with how I use the computer, but still haven't decided, need to read more.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

you know, the moment i thought to myself "hey, so it must be the new prevx then", i saw your post.
    i didn't know wsa was a supplementary av. good to know that, so i might give it a try. :thumb:

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@justenough: Have you seen Chrome exploited in real life? Same with Sandboxie, no right? The only use of sandboxing Chrome in my opinion is isolating an infection or restricting Chrome's access to the system. That and maybe failsafe for mistakes others mentioned.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

told ya;)

17. imdb

imdb Registered Member

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

added NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

19. justenough

Absolutely right. I've been planning on loading Privatefirewall to see how that does with WSA and AppGuard. In fact glad you brought it up, I'll do it now.

20. justenough

No haven't seen exploits in real life. Only problem I've had was my own mistake in taking a downloaded file out of the Sandboxied Download folder without scanning it first. What I mainly miss is being able to flush everything with a click. I'm picking up cookies with just Chrome, which I guess wouldn't happen incognito. But the fact that cookies are latching on indicates to me that other things could as well.

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

will be great to hear your feedback. :thumb:

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

And what do you mean by other things? Cookies latching on is default behaviour for every web browser, unless you change the settings or install extensions. If you think that's any indication of Chrome's security (not privacy) without Sandboxie, you're sadly mistaken. Only malware that "bypasses" Chrome and is contained by Sandboxie are manually executed.

Like I said, you can restrict Chrome's access to the system with Sandboxie with isolation, restrictions, deleting contents, etc. That's simply not a priority for me and most users.

23. justenough

I am glad knowing that I am sadly mistaken about it being an indication of anything. Wait, that didn't sound right....

Are you sure that isolating the system from the browser shouldn't be a priority (especially when the browser is the main vulnerability like it is for me)?

24. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi JE, just because you move a file out of your downloads folder, doesn't mean that you have to stop using Sandboxie. Next time you install the program, run all files that you download from the internet in a sandbox until the day they get deleted and you wont even have to scan them (unless the download is an installer that you are going to run in your real system). Its easy and it works. That pretty much what I do.:)

Bo

25. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

My new security setup in my signature :)
    Light as feather :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.