What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

trying out Appguard/WOT/Chrome with click to play & js disabled ... on demand scans by MBAM and HMP...using filehippo's update checker...things seems to be going ok

2. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

The same for EMET 4.0. It doesn't cover Sandboxied browsers.
    Sandboxie beats them both. :D

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

5. Solarlynx

Maybe the reason is that I have EMET's DEP and SEHOP OptOut. Then all browsers (IE, CD, CID, FF) weren't covered with EMET. Win-7 x64 Ultimate.

6. Solarlynx

Or maybe the reason is that EMET skin on my PC is black and yours is white? :D

7. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Thanks for the link J_L, I hadn't seen that thread on sandboxes. But even after reading it, I am unclear as to what the program is. Are you advising not to rely on Sandboxie and instead use programs like EMET or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit? I'm not being confrontational, I'd like to know your opinion on this.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sandboxie is unnecessary for Chrome unless you want more control for what gets written, executed, internet access, etc. It doesn't add anything more to Chrome's sandbox in exploit scenarios, which is what EMET and MBAE are made for.

What's the difference running Chrome in Sandboxie when all infection scenarios are either manually executed or doubly exploited? I think it's more of a hindrance than worth the extra control and possible failsafe for mistakes.

9. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

The key in using sandboxie is using restrictions / start/run-access. Just learn how to use it properly.

10. Solarlynx

Yeah here SBIE provides a vast room for learning. It's so tweakable.
    Though I was lazy to learn. :D

11. jynx

jynx Registered Member

Qihoo 360 IS + EMET 4

12. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Ok,your protest is duly noted :D
    Installed again AVG Pro 2014 374 days trial.And Privatefirewall.And Sandboxie.:cool:

13. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Xp Home SP 3:

Real Time

Windows Firewall
    SandboxIE
    EMET 4.0
    DropMy Rights
    Norton DNS
    System Recovery OFF

Pale Moon - ABP (*),NoScript,Ghostery,WOT,HTTPS Everywhere.
    https://encrypted.google.com/

Secondary Browser:
    Comodo Dragon - ABP (EasyList Italy+EasyList *) + ScriptBlock

On demand

Hitman Pro
    HijackThis Portable

Others

CCleaner
    SUMo portable
    Iobit Uninstaller Portable
    ProcessExplorer

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Great.:D On that note, I'm using WSA. Still waiting for the update to 2014 version. Tested beta version and the stable version is gonna be faster, lighter and smoother.:thumb:

15. justenough

I signed into my Webroot account online and downloaded 8.04.17. It's got a nice-looking interface, and it seems easier to get at things. Supposedly they made a lot of improvements in how the different shields work. An issue I was having with the last version has disappeared with this one, so I'm happy.:thumb:

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'm assuming you are saying that if a person doesn't intend on downloading anything from the internet there's no reason to run Chrome in SBIE? But if a person accesses the internet with Chrome and downloads and executes a program it is much safer doing so in SBIE and having the .exe run in SBIE than not. Or are you saying something else?

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Glad to see another fellow happy WSA user.:D Can't wait to get the update.:thumb:

18. guest

guest Guest

He says what he said. You don't need to protect Chrome with Sandboxie or RunSafer or Comodo's sandbox or anything, no matter how much you think it would make you to be more secure. Chrome has its own sandbox, adding another sandbox on top of it might actually decrease Chrome's security features.

It might be useful if you run a questionable program to test it. But there are many ways to do that. VMs, SD, rollback/imaging, another PC.

In fact, I would suggest to not using EMET, MBAE, or any other anti-exploit tools to protect Chrome. I just don't find the risks are worth to take.

19. justenough

There might be some debate over if it's bombproof or not, but it's strong enough for me and it's hardly noticeable on the computer.

I wonder if everyone knows there's a new version just out? Maybe you should spread the word here? (ducking :ninja: )

20. justenough

Chrome's sandbox is that secure? You and J_L are making me rethink what's been the central pillar in my security for more than 3 years! It's interesting that you suggest that imaging can be a viable solution to exploits instead of Sandboxie, since I've put some effort into setting up a reliable system for keeping up-to-date images in two secure places. I guess that gives me some freedom to experiment. Okay then.

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

And that's what matters.:thumb:

I believe by now everyone knows about it. But I'll do anyway. :)

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There is a survivalist axiom that says, "Two is one and one is none"... a clever way of referencing redundancy. Anyone who has ever limited themselves to Plan A, and had it fail, or witness it reach its limitations, seriously begins to wish he had a Plan B and even a Plan C. I subscribe to the "one is none" axiom. It's what I need, not what someone else says I need.

24. guest

guest Guest

Maybe. I'm not an expert on this one but there are many readings you can get about Chrome's sandbox. Don't we have several threads discussing about it already?

If you weren't being sarcastic, I'm worried that you lost your faith just by posts made by two persons.

No I didn't. I said you can test software inside Sandboxie. But you can also use other ways. Test it in your real system. If you don't like it, rollback to the previous state.

25. guest

guest Guest

I do have Plan B and Plan C. I just don't like it if those plans are in the similar flavor. If I serve my mother a chicken soup and she doesn't like it, then how much the chance that she will take a crispy fried chicken? She doesn't like chicken since the first place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.