What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Have not made a change in quite some time now. F-Secure Anti Virus has been great on Windows and OS X. No Virus False or true and no hiccups.

2. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Retired? Congratulations...the forums won't be safe now!!!!:thumb:

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

securon :) me :) and my friend trojam :) are the ones that knows all software and it is for a reason,we know at least what works,and what doesnt work just ask us and we can give the best advise posible:thumb: ;) sincerely....jmonge;)

4. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Do you ever have issues with software not un-installing correctly?

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i clean manually;) even the registry i clean manually:thumb:

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! MRF71...There has been the odd time that an app is stubborn in uninstalling...but ninety five percent of the time it's clear sailing. Sincerely...Securon

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb:

8. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Well, I analyze malware everyday... or almost everyday.
    There are so many sources out there, so many tools that if you try even minimally you will find malware, and in large numbers.

Perhaps trying to familiarize yourself with http://malwr.com would be of benefit to you and many others who lurk around here clueless.
    (Analyzing effectively does requires some skills and understanding of programing)

You can monitor and even analise malware in real time, minutes even seconds after it was uploaded, by someone. and see for yourself just how many A.V's actually miss the boat and for how long...

By the way even the largest services like vt and malwr.com only get to see but a fraction of live malware and see it for what it is. Also due to political interference against uploading malware, many fail to report malware to VT and other sources due to the risks inherent in doing so thus further limiting identification efforts.

Sometimes you can count it in months before some av's actually even recognize some malware, some never even do...

So if you think that because your antivirus, antispyware or favourite antimalware didn't detect anything that your safe, and that no virus actually exists then the tech education you need will be a long and difficult road ahead... :)

Now let's say this: Modern malware is complex and practically indistinguishable from any other applications as they do not cause damage to your computer, but patiently perform legitimate tasks and then do whatever malware do and then go on and keep performing legitimate tasks...

Signatures comparison technologies, and behavior analysis don't even work against the large majority of these... and they are plentiful!

So knowing what is malware is not as simple as it first appears...

I am a strong advocate of manual process by process analysis and identification and absolute control over systems as the only sure way to improve the odds in your favor.

Malware Blindness is not bliss!

Guy

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

@guy

That's a very sensible post, thanks :thumb:

10. pablozi

pablozi Registered Member

Actually I am running with no rt security app.
    HMP + UAC only :D

11. Hermescomputers

12. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

The above is why I stopped depending and using antiviruses. I think what you are saying does apply to people that depend on antimalware programs. But what about us, who have found better ways of preventing getting infected by using programs that dont use definitions? Myself, for example, ever since I started using Sandboxie and NoScript four years ago and stopped using antiviruses, malware dont come around anymore. To me, it seems like malware is non existent and it is non existent in my computers.

Bo

13. Hermescomputers

Bo Elam

In my opinion the proper application of user intelligence is the only effective protection against practically everything...

Think of this as the equivalent to stop, look both ways then proceed to cross the road, and it can prove highly effective in some if not most instances but it will not prevent all cases such as getting hit by lightening...

My point is that many users install malware thinking they are installing good-ware. In which case my advise in the previous post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2237488&postcount=44

Will again prove moot! :rolleyes:

14. pablozi

15. bo elam

Installing the wrong program in my system is one way how I can get infected despite using SBIE. I know that. Let me put it to you this way. In the past two and a half years, I have only installed one new program in my old XP and in my W7, after the first boot and installing the programs that I know I want to use, nothing has changed.

By the way, I like the link for your post that you posted. I separate all programs in their own sandbox and tailor/set each sandbox according to the program. Doing that and using NoScript, it "makes it seem like malware is non existent" but I know is there. Its incredible but NoScript does a heck of a job as maybe only once or twice I have seen SBIE give me an Start/Run alert about a program attempting to run in a restricted sandbox. NoScript is a nice program that blocks a lot of potential bad stuff.

Bo

16. Hermescomputers

17. Hermescomputers

Yes, Noscript is among my favorites with Firefox...
    The issue, is Java and Flash, both of which have caused quite a support overhead for me over the years...

You really need to keep these two patched and often...

Here is a quick example why it's important for Java... If I can think of a specific one for flash i'll post it:
    http://news.yahoo.com/department-ho...es-computer-users-disable-java-084354696.html
    https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235615/US_CERT_Disable_Java_in_browsers_because_of_exploit

Here is a nice one for flash:
    https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/curren...-Releases-Security-Updates-Adobe-Flash-Player
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2755801 14 May 2013 update

For you admins: https://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-14.html

Conclusion: Use Firefox + NoScript in a sandbox! :argh:

18. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

I'm sure a lot here already do :)

19. bo elam

Amen.:) (it really works...and silently)

Also, in my case, I don't need Java so I haven't had it installed in my computers for about 4 years and disable Flash for all sites with NoScript, except Youtube.

Bo

20. pablozi

Amen!
    No JAVA here also, because Java: Just Another Vulnerability Announcement :D

21. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Using a Layered approach...Private Firewall 7.0...Ikarus...WSA Security Plus...and Hitman Pro 3.7.6. 201...On-demand. Sincerely...Securon

22. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

-Windows XP Pro SP3 x86

Real-Time Protection:
    -ESET NOD32 (Password Protected)
    -AppGuard (Protection Level = High)

Firewall:
    -Windows XP SP3 Firewall
    -Zyxel Unified Security Gateway (Password Protected)

On-Demand Protection:
    -Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    -Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    -DrWeb Cureit (Occasional Use)
    -Antivirus Rescue CD’s (AVIRA, Kaspersky, Dr.Web, Bitdefender)(Occasional Use)
    -VirusTotal for downloaded files

Complementary Protection:
    -Panda USB Vaccine, Autorun disabled

Browsing Configurations/Immunizations:
    -Firefox (Adblock Plus with Subscriptions: EasyList+EasyPrivacy+Malware Domains, BetterPrivacy)
    -IE8 occasionally
    -Sandboxie Paid (Automatically delete Sandbox, Web Browsers forced to Sandbox, Internet Restrictions, Start/Run Restrictions, Access Restrictions, Drop Rights, Forced Folders, Blocked Access)
    -WOT
    -BitDefender TrafficLight Beta
    -Spybot Search & Destroy (Immunization for Firefox Only)
    -SpywareBlaster (Protection for Firefox Only)
    -Norton DNS (Configured on Zyxel Unified Security Gateway)

Backup:
    -Image for Windows/Image for DOS/Image for Linux (System Partition: Monthly Full Image to internal/external hard drive & DVD-DL, Weekly Differential Image)
    -Network RAID1 Server
    -Syncback Free

Future Possibility: Replace the Zyxel Unified Security Gateway with a Sophos UTM (Unified Threat Management) Device (My Hardware with the Sophos UTM Operating System).

23. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Eset Smart Security, Hitman Pro, Shadow Defender.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

set my standard account:thumb:

25. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Still happy with.....

DefenseWall 3.21
    Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325

AdMuncher 4.93
    Macrium Reflect 4.2

OpenDNS
    Opera

No problems, no conflicts, no malware. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.