What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

No kidding. I'd have crushed that record though if not for my brief trial run of EMET, and adding VirtualBox to the mix. I recently got a new/old box with a CPU that supported hardware virtualization, so decided I was going to put it to use. I wanted to run a VM before but it just wasn't practical on my old box... slowed it down too much. Now I don't even notice the footprint with the hardware support & 4 GB of RAM.

But ever since adding Sandboxie about 2 years ago that's all that's changed on my box. SBIE has made things secure, but also very static & boring. I "almost" wanna remove it to live dangerously again, and swap apps in & out looking for that perfect setup. It's funny, you look for that setup for years, then when you finally find it you're like... "man, now I'm bored".

2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

And then you move on to a different aspect of perfectness like your media setup like music and video players, converters, and organization for instance. There's always something to improve on :D

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Exactly how I feel. When I left Comodo Firewall, I was looking around for a while. I then started using WSA. Then NVT EXE pro came along. I added them all together with sandboxie. Probably one of the lightest setups I've had. It's also one of the strongest. Now I'm kinda bored and keep wanting to add things.

4. luciddream

Already long since done. Have a light, free app to do anything I'd ever need to do. Shortcuts in a folder on my desktop named "Studio". Can't get any more organized than that. Same with my games too.

There's nothing left to do except use my computer now.

5. luciddream

To each his/her own. Comodo FW/D+ was the first piece of the puzzle for me. It's had the longest tenure of my static setup now. I used to pair Avira AV with it, and that was pretty much it. Then I came across SBIE and realized the real-time AV was a dead weight. Just started scanning on demand before unboxing things. VT Hash Check namely was a great find for that. And threw in an imaging regimen around the same time... and the rest is history.

Once in awhile still I come across a tweak in here or some good info. Was glad to get a heads up about newer versions of OpenVPN that may not be on the level... not sure, but why take the risk I figured.

I check the release notes of new versions of Firefox to see what's changed, and see if I should adjust any settings accordingly. And my addons too. And keep patching the OS. That's pretty much it these days.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

webroot antivirus is rock solid :) i tried it againts a malware sample and mbampro and ikarus dint know the malware and webroot jump to catch it and block it:thumb:

7. CrusherW9

So after installing Sandboxie again followed by CFW, I'm getting some noticeable lag when browsing with FF. I'm fairly certain it's because of CFW because I don't remember having this issue with Sandboxie before. Are there any certain settings I should change?

8. zip

zip Registered Member

I dumped Online Armor, it freezes my computer. :mad:

Back to Windows Firewall.

If only Privatefirewall was stealthy. :rolleyes:

9. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Still lovin my setup and im not looking to change it anytime soon. The only thing i might change is going from CFW 5.12 to CFW 6.1 the only put off on that is when i was using CFW 6.1 before it was causing bsod on boot. But im not sure if that wasbthe program or because i had avast on the machine as well.o_O

10. pablozi

pablozi Registered Member

SpyShelter Firewall, EMET 4 Beta and HitmanPro :thumb:

11. DX2

DX2 Guest

On my xp box, just GesWall pro...

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I would stick with 5.12 unless you want the comodo BB and virtual kiosk.
    I would pretty much say that avast was the cause of the BSOD.

That is why i removed it.

13. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just took advantage of the Agnitum offer...Outpost Firewall Pro...AppGuard...and WSA Security Plus...Truly the Trusty Trio! Sincerely...Securon

14. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

Once again going with just WSA (this time with Kees' tweaks from earlier in this thread), Windows Vista Firewall, Chrome (with Adblock, Lastpass, HTTPS Everywhere, DoNotTrackMe, & Trafficlight), and Sandboxie for online banking and shopping. We'll see how long it lasts this time... :D

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  15. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

- Windows 7 64 bit
    - Windows Firewall with advanced security - locked down, outbound blocked
    - EMET 100% maxed on all internet facing apps
    - Windows Image + dvd backups
    - LUA + parental controls (restrict what can run in LUA)
    - MSE
    - sumo updater
    - On demand - hitman pro and CCE
    - Comodo dragon browser with a few of security/privacy add ons
    - IE10 - protected mode on

- Virtualbox with Windows and several flavors of Linux installed to play around with, on the Windows VM I tinker and try out new security programs once on a while. Plan on testing Online Armor, CIS, Kingsoft and Baidu AV's, Windows Firewall notifier...thats about it at the moment. Just like trying new software without messing up my main windows install.

16. CrusherW9

Nice and light :thumb:

17. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

avast free
    oa free firewall
    malwarebyes free
    hitman pro free

18. Securon

Good Afternoon! Replaced AppGuard...with Ikarus...due too confliction with WSA Security Plus...and using in tandem with Outpost Firewall Pro...and as mentioned WSA. Sincerely...Securon

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Did you set WSA as power app in AG?

20. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

What happened? BSOD?

I installed WSA and Appguard and got a BSOD, so I uninstalled WSA. Did you experience the same thing?

21. Securon

Good Afternoon! In Hindsight...in remembering...I believe AppGuard had WSA set up as a Power App. Sincerely...Securon

22. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I added it to the poweapps, but still got the BSOD. But I don't know if it is appguard related. I did not test WSA without appguard.

23. Securon

Good Afternoon! As I remember Pain Of Salvation...AppGuard was blocking WSA...and I had difficulty opening both Chrome and Explorer. But as mentioned I'm pretty sure I had WSA in the AppGuard Power Settings Tab. But no B.S.O.D. I might re-install AppGuard at a later date...to check...and double check. Sincerely...Securon

24. guest

guest Guest

Dropped real-time AV, now running with only what's on my sig. What? I know what I'm doing. I'm just getting lazy to configure the heuristic sensitivity and measuring if an AV is lightweight or not. :p

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Crazy to say nothing of Windows Updates.

Testing EMET and also WFC newest releases.

Untill and "IF" ever a new HIPS program comes along I guess the likes of Comodo and Online Armor are out, all the way out. They both have their strong points in security but from my experience they still are not "Lite" enough for my satisfaction.

So far Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, are the only Real Time Apps.

SuperAntispyware plus Emsisoft Emergency Kit and HitManPro are On-Demand Only.

No AV's whatsoever. Don't need to add a second O/S to the system to sap the life eventually from the HDD/Memory.

I do however occasionally go the Online Scan Route.

See whats sorely missing here?

HIPS, no not the same few old players who never get around to actually perfecting their HIPS modules. Woe is me...if only another EQSysecure or Malware Defender for x64 would surface. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.