What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. guest

guest Guest

update: all in my sig ^^

2. guest

guest Guest

People keep praising ESET. I'm curious so I decided to try it myself. My gawd they are right!! :eek: I'm totally impressed. Here's my little review...

Pros:

+ As fast and lightweight as advertised.
    + No lags at boot-up or opening folders full of executable installers.
    + The HIPS is a real HIPS. I found it comparable with OA's (both set to max/interactive/paranoid mode).
    + There's no sign of that god-awful MetroUI. Thank you for understanding me. :thumb:
    + The installer is only ~50mb. Isn't a common thing to see nowadays.

Unfortunately, there are some things which I don't really like. :(

Cons:

- Need to register your email even for a trial license.
    - Too many things to configure for my liking.
    - Stopping a scan took quite some time.

Still though, this is an excellent AV, IMO. It's up there on my top favorite AVs along with Avira and MSE.

Guess what's detected when I did a scan. Must be Avira's shady remnants. :D

Attached Files:

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I never seriously tried ESET.
    How many RAM occupies ESET?
    Does it have configurable Sandbox to load browsers there?

4. guest

guest Guest

Not much, IMO. I'm sure there are more than these but I couldn't find anything else. 7anon had posted a link here about tests of AVs resource usage on Raymond.cc.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2223983&postcount=16

There is no sandbox as far as I'm aware of, only HIPS. You can set it to be as noisy as Comodo or OA on max settings.

Attached Files:

• RAM.jpg
      RAM.jpg
      File size:
      12.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or just allow the whitelist;) and block the rest

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well, seems like you found a good one here :D

If you don't want to configure then you don't need to, the defaults have always been set to be a good balance between performance and protection.

FYI, regarding the HIPS, in the default mode (automatic), it's set to only protect the most vital parts of the OS, you can read more about it here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1368464962292

And here about the different HIPS modes and what they do:http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2908&viewlocale=en_US

ESET uses two processes 1. ekrn.exe that on average uses between 80-100 MB of RAM, because all the signatures are loaded into the RAM to improve the system performance. And 2. egui.exe uses couple MBs. And as many have said many times, don't measure how light an AV is by looking at the RAM usage. ;)

ESET does not include any type of sandbox they went with the HIPS instead, but afaik there's no problem running Sandboxie alongside ESET if you like.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the hips can be set to be in policy mode which blocks alot of stuff silently:thumb:

8. guest

guest Guest

It gets boring sometimes, especially when you have nothing else to do. :D

I just need to configure the cleaning on detection in case if there's any false positive.

Indeed, MSE uses less RAM but Avira feels more lightweight to me. Stop using this method people!!! D=

9. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Aren't the last 2 pretty much the same?

10. anniew

anniew Registered Member

• I've not come across much google-wise that talks to using SCM to manage security restrictions vs configuring through gpedit directly. With all the discussion of tools used for security here, there doesn't seem much discussion on SCM at Wilders either (these are rather dated quotes).

I am aware of the prereq for .Net and SQL Server - potential additional attack surfaces, but is that the reason for the paucity of comments here? After all, one could create policy on one machine (or VM) and import on target machines with LocalGPO.

The importable baseline templates seem like a nice time saver to work from, but I wonder if there are gotchas or other problems or complexities that are not jumping out?

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  11. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

So which of these would be an over lap or perhaps a possible interference with each other?

Winpatrol with registry watcher (pro version)
    EXE Watch
    Exploit Shield
    No Virus Thanks exe radar

Seems like NVT has the majority covered, but the registry unless I'm just not reading about it correctly, but I thought I'd ask around

12. guest

guest Guest

no, because:

RX = fast snapshots, POS restoration ability, but no way to save snapshots, MBR is involved.
    AXTM = lightly slower backup/restoration, image/snapshots can be saved on other drives, MBR not involved.

13. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Installed today NIS 2013 and SS free and of course,Sandboxie.So far all i can say is :thumb: Oh,and Wondershare TimeFreeze.

14. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Just got me a android phone (finally i know) and im keeping with my favs. I have avast! Mobile security on it and its running as great.as its PC counterpart. :thumb:

15. guest

guest Guest

Trying OA Free edition now. As expected, the HIPS is as strong as ever. :thumb: There's that nice learning mode which will automatically create rules so you won't be bombarded with popups for programs you know to be safe. Pretty sure it worked a little differently last year. :shifty:

The GUI is more responsive now. But the sad part is, it lagged the whole performance of my PC, although still tolerable in my book. Not something that I will use on a daily basis though. My itchy-pranky hands are dangerous... :D

Pssst, I'm running without an AV now. :ninja:

16. gery

gery Registered Member

AVG Internet Security

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

mbampro:thumb: i want to trust this company again:thumb: :thumb:

18. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I never quit trusting them, every company makes mistakes.

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

jmonge, open....your...miiiiiind!
    :D

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you want to see my brain:) :thumb: :thumb:

21. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Anti, don't most android phones have an AV built into them so you do not need a separate AV, or am I mistaken?

22. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

No android has AV built in. What it has is that users don't have super user access. That means that they can't change the base OS and add things. Most Androids also don't allow unsigned programs. Another safety feature.

23. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Added Shadow Defender.

24. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Pentium D 2.8 GHz, 960 MB RAM, XP: I added Baidu (with enabled Avira engine) to DefenceWall and the PC feels the same light. Significant lag is felt only when scanning with Baidu.

25. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I've just dropped Private FW for Windows FW and it's much lighter on my system. I've also reduced my shields on Avast to just the File System Shield. So now my set up is: Avast, AppGuard, Sandboxie, EMET 3.0, and Ad Muncher. On demand: Shadow Defender, HMP and MBAM. I'm wondering whether I need EMET.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.