What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

2. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Must admit, avast is pretty light, I removed some of the shields that I didn't need to make it even lighter. I'm just left with the web, file, network and behaviour shields. I still have bad memories of what McAfee used to do to my system.

3. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

Trying Bitdefender Total Security 2013 90-day trial. Very impressed with how fast browsing has been in Chrome with Sandboxie -- no perceptible drag at all.

4. guest

guest Guest

How's the adblocker? Good? Bad? In-between? :D

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

average:)

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! After a hectic few days of moving from Toronto...on the Shores of Lake Ontario...to Elliot Lake...the Land of Thousands Of Lakes...and Retirement...moving from DSL Fibre to Cable...and back to saying Hello Fellow Wilderites...and I would be remiss in not mentioning a revamping too the terrific trio...removed Voodoo Shield...re-installed Eset Smart Security 6...in concert with WSA Essentials and AppGuard...now known as the Dynamic Threesome! Sincerely...Securon

7. guest

guest Guest

I just saw Trend Micro Titanium IS screenshots on Softpedia. Lol, do they have to make their parental control categories to be that detailed? I've never seen such a complete list of websites filtering. :D

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I have avast 8 and comodo firewall 5.12 running around 12mb.I seriously doubt there is a lighter combination around.
    Mind you im going by a working bytes set.Private bytes maybe higher.

9. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I don't think there's much in Private and Comodo both are very light. As someone else has mentioned, WSA is probably a lighter AV but you have to pay for that and even though there are some good offers on and it looks good, I'm not sure if I'd pay for an AV.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Let the trial period (30 days) convince you ;) :thumb:

11. The Red Moon

I cannot quite recall what PFW was using but comodo uses roughly between 9-10mb.Lightest firewall i have used.

12. merisi

merisi Registered Member

If I did try it for 30 days, I'd miss all the great offers available at the moment and it'd cost me a fortune for an annual subscription.

@Amiga500, wouldn't Windows FW be the lightest one?

13. The Red Moon

Of course.Windows firewall indeed would be the lightest and im toying with the idea of using this.

If my system is clean i dont need to worry about outbound protection even though it can be achieved with windows firewall.

14. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I have also come very close to just using Windows Firewall. I know a number of regular pc users that have never had a problem with it. The thing that stops me is that I'm not sure if it will block everything that PFW is doing at the moment. Saying that my system is clean so I should not worry but being able to see what you're firewall is blocking using a simple GUI feels much more reassuring.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

16. merisi

merisi Registered Member

17. The Red Moon

Yes i can fully understand your concern with the re-assurance of outbound connections.

Upon seeing what comodo alerts me too at this present time im fairly certain i could use the windows firewall with no problems.

I do not download a lot of software unless it has a genuine useful purpose for me.
    I have noticed that comodo blocks certain IP,,s of the operating system by default.

I would love to try PFW again but i was not able to stealth the ports and im not certain if this is a mobile broadband issue.

18. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I'm finding PFW is blocking a lot of Netbios(out) and UPnP(in). I'm not sure why this happening and if Windows FW would block it. I can understand why a FW is so important to you as you're not cushioned by a router. With PFW I hav found it has good outgoing rules for my browsers and AV in that it automatically only allows outgoing.

19. S4m

S4m Registered Member

My new setting :

Look'n'stop (Phant0m ruleset) / Avira 2013 (no webguard installed) / Sandboxie 3.76

Very light, no conflict, does their job perfectly. Doesn't need anything more.

20. zip

zip Registered Member

I've changed from Privatefirewall to Windows Firewall.

I'm not comfortable with a firewall that dosen't stealth ports.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

TrenMicro Internet Security Looks Nice:thumb:

22. blasev

blasev Registered Member

is it light on the system?

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is light:thumb: very light:thumb:
    my only concern is that the behabiour blocker doesnt do anything :) and i put in hypertention mode

24. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

You just have to love the names of some of these things... :D

25. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Finally got around buying my first AV.
    Current set up:
    - Norton Internet Security 2013
    - Firefox + NS + ABP
    - Windows 8 + UAC minimal
    I was going to install EMET but there is currently no official stable version for Windows 8.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.