What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Link

Link Registered Member

I use avast v8 free and comodo firewall with defense.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i am trying out F-Secure Internet Security 2013 for the first time:D it is alitle slow:D maybe because is runing beside emsisoft antimalware:)

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You might find it a little slow even by its self.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know it is a huge monster :):)

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Noob :) i really like emsisoft antimalware:thumb:

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

great program with huge signature database.:D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is :) the firewall is good and the parental controls is nice to have too

8. The Red Moon

I assume the firewall is the excellent online armor?
    Or has emsisoft created a new firewall from scratch.?

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

emsisoft firewall it's from another company call tallemu;)

10. The Red Moon

yep thats online armor..Tall emu was mike nash,s company who were the previous owners.
    Excellent stuff.:thumb:

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I agree. I still remember the days when I used OA when it was under Tall Emu and continued using it after Emsisoft took it over but then lost interest after a while.

12. The Red Moon

A very wise decision by tall emu there.Better that emsisoft keep it supported rather than it dwindling away.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha i was just kidding. :D

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the best from west:D

15. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

1.Microsoft Smart Screen reports for any uncommon program execution.
    2.Avast Free set real time scan only on executions, scans the executed file.
    3.NovirusThanks ExE Radar Pro alerts for program execution.

16. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Turned off Malwarebytes Pro and Re-installed Comodo firewall with only BB with it set to be as silent as it can be. Put it back in this config just to be as safe as possible.

17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Re-Installed Bitdefender I.S.2013 with WSA Essentials...Bitdefender running light...and I like the Safe Pay feature...Stay Tuned! Sincerely...Securon

18. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Are you on Windows 8 or 7? Do you experience any issues with this combo?

19. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Realtime : Malwarebytes Pro
    On Demand : Hitman Pro
    sandboxie for the rest ;)

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice combo blasev:thumb:

21. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

On my new/used box here I've added .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, all patches for that version, and EMET 3.0. I was going to wait around for this "new" version, but after hearing it's just another beta I was a bit discouraged. And with the problems with 3.5, even the DEP being broken on it, I'd rather just use a stable version even if it does have a few less mitigation techniques. DEP is really the main one anyway... in marriage with some of the other app specific ones.

And the more digging I did, the more I realized the advantages Hardware DEP does indeed hold over software... and not just for the overhead the CPU takes away either. I've already seen first hand how much more comprehensive it is. Even to the point of being a bit touchy... it tried to block my sound driver and an emulator I know is safe. So I'm using Opt Out instead of Always On now with this sucker.

I believe a stable EMET combined with SBIE is a very formidable combination against exploits. And right now I'm eating many words I've said in the past.

I'm not going to uninstall .NET FW like I did before. I know how to get it so that EMET will continue to function while eliminating most of the attack surface of .NET FW. But I believe it "could" potentially leave EMET vulnerable as a result too, and/or my apps.

Am running VirtualBox too... don't recall if I stated that previously in here, though it's clearly in my sig. I was wrong about VM's too... they are not the resource hungry, overbearing solutions I believed them to be. At least not with a CPU made in this millenium (lol), and the full 3.25 GB of RAM XP can address. The box is running remarkably quick. Even faster than my Dimension 3K, and I didn't think XP could possibly run any faster than the way I had that box tweaked. But applying the same tweaks to this one, it most certainly can. Even with .NET FW + EMET, it's faster than my old box.

WAT, my friend... you were correct.

22. Newby

Newby Registered Member

Windows 7 x32 Home Edition

UAC set to deny elevation of unsigned programs (set ValidateAdminCodeSignatures to 1 is ON). Utilities are Evince-PDF reader, Media Player Classic and 7-zip which are unsigned (are allways kept in basic user sandbox).

E-mail (Outlook) and Browser (Chrome) sandboxed by GesWall Free,

Using ThreatFire for outbound and added own rules for email and web programs (added all office/signed user programs to this category) to display a warning when registry HKLM and Windows and Program Files folders are updated/created (creating a basic user sandbox). Set TF sensitivity level to 1 (so only using 'strong' kernel part of TF)

Added EMET to all programs via XML-list import.

Hitman Pro Free on demand scan, using on-line (via browser) VT chromatiser and Comodo's malware analyser before installing something. Only using AdBlockPlus as extension.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  23. zitch

zitch Guest

I stumbled upon Aaron Stebner's website one day, as I was trying to install Emet without running .NET FW. What I learned is that you must have at least .NET FW 2.0 installed on an XP machine to use Emet. There is a link on his site, where you can install 2.0, and remove any other .NET version (presumably to save disc space). I did this, and his link removed version 1.0, installed 2.0, and everything worked fine. Had EMET up and running after I did that. ~Zitch~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  24. zitch

zitch Guest

~AND~ I don't "Google" anything.....I love the Opera browser. So easy to use. Lots of privacy options. Multiple tabbed browsing. I also ****canned Facebook, and Twitter. Yep. I don't Tweet. And my smiling face is no longer on Facebook. Thought I would mention this, since this is a security forum. We could open up a whole new can of worms on this subject. ~Zitch~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It will be interesting to monitor this thread after the MBAM FP issue today.;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.