What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The 32 mb limit is okay for me.

Regarding your setup, ahhh, I missed that :oops:

2. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I'm only using:
    1) Comodo Firewall v6 on Proactive and Sandbox set to Untrusted, HIPS disabled
    2) No Autorun

My machine feels pretty swift, even though this is a low-spec system.

3. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Dropped Sandboxie as my main security tool in favor of Applocker. Sandboxie will be used on demand only now.

4. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Returned to G-Data 2014 I.S. really impressed with it's Behaviour Guard...and removed Ikarus. As mentioned previously in the G-Data thread...the newest edition is running much lighter...and most important seems to be a qualitative improvement over the older versions...what with it's improved Bank and Behaviour components. Sincerely...Securon

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Back to using...

avast! Free Antivirus, Outpost Firewall Pro and ERP

Strangely enough, I'm not experiencing any of the bugs from Outpost anymore.

Seems to be working fine now

Of course it could have a lot to do with me recently re-formatting my machine.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Securon how is the behabiour blocker in G-Data?is it like mamutu or threatfire?

7. malexous

malexous Registered Member

The limit for HitmanPro is 25mb, after HitmanPro has compressed the file.

8. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Yeah, I remember when I first noticed Pro was bulkier than Home too, and didn't like it. I knew very little about computers then, and was just told the extra fluff was "IT stuff you don't need and will never use, for businesses and stuff". And as a result felt kinda jipped that I had this Dell XP Pro reinstall disk instead of a Home disc. But then I found out what that supposed "extra stuff I'll never use" really was, and learned how to use it. And even having 512 MB of RAM in your box, slimmed down, was more than enough to offset any performance difference between the two. Then I considered myself blessed to have had Pro instead.

As for EMET... I wouldn't go adding everything but the kitchen sink to it. Just any executables for internet facing apps, and processes, especially those that autostart. And yeah, I add svchost too, Flash Player, plugin-container. Firefox, Pidgin Messenger/OTR, and that's about that.

That was on my old box anyway. So far on my new one I haven't decided yet whether to add EMET & .NET FW. I'm waiting on the impending new release of EMET at least to make a decision, after getting some objective feedback about it. If the DEP glitch is remedied and it seems stable enough, I may use it. Or I may just stand pat with the Hardware DEP & other means of preventing shellcode injection I have in place that've kept me perfectly safe in all my years as an XP user, and not add the attack surface, bloat, and potential conflicts waiting to happen. Though to be fair, on that last point, I've never experienced an incompatibility problem with EMET. DEP once botched my attempts to install a sound driver, but that was system applied, not by EMET. That showed me then and there that Hardware DEP is more touchy than software. Probably more comprehensive then as well. It terminates first and asks questions later, which is the way to handle these things honestly (potential exploits)... no complaints.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  9. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Zyxel USG UTM (unified threat management) with AhnLabs gateway AV, IPS/IDS deep packet inspection, full anomaly packet blocking, Blue Coat enterprise content filter at the gateway.

Astaro/Sophos UTM in bridge mode with dual Avira and Sophos gateway AV/email AV, IPS/IDS. Astaro/Sophos enterprise content filter, Anti-Spam, country based filtering all the rogue city states and then some.

Macs with Sophos and or Intego VirusBarrier X6. Apple Boot Camp with W7 and W8 with Comcast Symantec Security Suite and Malwarebytes Pro. Looking into testing Voodoo Shield for the Mac when Beta is out. All platforms use OpenDNS DNScrypt, NoScript, Ghostery, Ad Block Plus, Better Privacy, altered user agents. McAfee Site Adviser. All working with very very little latency. Almost unnoticeable. A nice layered enterprise defense for the home. ;)

10. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! J Monge...G-Data Behaviour Blocker was just tested and evaluated on U-Tube's...Security Channel...I know how accurate are the testing methods. But so far I'm merely impressed with it's lack of bloat. I too used Threatfire in the past...and I suspect it might be similar. Anyhow you can come to your own conclusion. Sincerely...Securon

11. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

OK...you convinced me...going to try it!:thumb:

12. zitch

zitch Guest

I tried Cyberhawk when it first came out. I had some problems with it, compatibility issues, I guess. I uninstalled it. It had potential, but it didn't like my setup. Have not tried Threatfire. And Norton is crap. I wouldn't use Norton if it where the only AV program on the planet. Norton has good marketing, but their product sucks. It doesn't deliver.

13. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Have you tried WOT and/or VTzilla for link scanning too? For WOT turn off popups and "DON'T" "block" sites, just warn, and only show negative results. It's very unobstrusive then. And for VTzilla disable the stuff it puts into your toolbar and just use it to right-click & scan suspicious links... it scans the page with Virus Total before opening it with a bunch of scanners to let you know it's clean before entering it. You may find them better than Mcafee SA, or in addition to it. Better Privacy isn't really needed anymore now that Firefox handles flash cookies like any other cookie. As long as you set it up to delete at browser close, and/or run sandboxed, no need to use it. I think Ghostery is pretty redundant too. Plus, I flat out don't trust it to be honest.

And what about DNScrypt? I've been intrigued by it for awhile now, but it still seems far to raw for me to depend on. Comments on the site even say, though not in these exact words, basically "use at your own risk", lol. If they could ever release a final/stable build of it... it'd dominate the market. Just like an EMET-like tool that didn't rely on .NET FW, or phone home, was light, stable, and developed more regularly.

Hey... one can dream.

14. zitch

zitch Guest

Sandboxie rules. Since I installed it, I have come to rely on it. I don't think there has been another security tool (at least the ones I have tried) that comes close to it. I have tried quite a few. Including JMonge's fav Cyberhawk, etc. There is nothing else out there, that gives me the front line first defense security I get when browsing with Sandboxie.

15. zitch

zitch Guest

Thats a pretty good setup. My 2 favorite AV's are Avast and Avira. Avira may give you a false positive once in a while, but it's detection rate is top notch.I would be comfortable running that.

16. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

I used WOT a couple of years ago and thought is was full of false positives, too many for my liking. I am far from a McAfee fan, but it works if a family member uses my or their computer. Seems a hair better then BD Taffic Light. I don't have any problems with DNSCrypt, especially on the Mac side. OpenDNS are Mac geeks so they got that one running the best, because it is the platform of choice at OpenDNS.

If I was on a PC as my main computer I may use WOT because the PC is the target these days. With a Mac, it is security through obscurity, so I am safer till we see OS X vuls in i-frame redirects to drive-bys or OS X vuls in exploit kits. Who know when that will happen.

17. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Avast 8
    K9 Web Protection
    EMET 2.1
    FF + NS + ABP

18. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Thanks,that's exactly what i've had in mind.And i don't worry about FP,i can handle them.

19. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Whats in my sig. now. I took the "plunge" and bought a license to MBAM and I'm loving it paired with Avast 8 and Exploitshield. I feel completely secured and no annoying popups that you would get with a hips :)

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I only get firewall alerts now.I have not had one single alert from the HIPS or behaviour blocker.:D

21. Eru

Eru Registered Member

Update:

Realtime: NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro + Sandboxie + Windows Firewall Control | Sandboxie
    Web browser: Nightly | Firefox
    Password Manager: S10 Password Vault

Whats new

22. Rompin Raider

You should be good to go...it works for me!:thumb:

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ThreatFire 4.7 :thumb:

24. Rompin Raider

Now dancing with G Data IS 2014. So far so good!

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

does G Data Internet Security 2014 has hips or behabiour blocker feature?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.