What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Wooooo Nellie...a new avatar! Not bad!

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Wilder Hunter
    Well I guess that's fine. I like the ultimate list and now that it's merged, even better.

I just like the name Wilder Hunter.:D

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@jmonge
    Sbie is the only thing one needs my friend.;)

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

After various setups and a lot of long extensive testing, I finally found a pretty darn good/strong setup.

Light on RAM, CPU and Disk + very strong against malware....I would say, "I like it"

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Radeon0101
    No need for so much changing and testing. What you need is a dose of sbie.;)

7. Tyrizian

Not needed with my setup, I'm using the sandbox feature in Comodo Firewall. I use that to fully virtualize all my internet facing applications.

8. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

Same here. I recently changed my security setup from Emsisoft OA+EAM to Comodo IS 6.
    I did also use sandboxie in the past and it is a very good program imo, but I want to see if CIS sandbox is also working well.
    So far it is doing ok I suppose, but I am not a security expert and I'm not deliberately going to infect my system to see if it really does it's job. But keeping an close eye on Wilders forum for any tips and/or updates, opinions / recommendations.

I frequently do a full system backup just in case.

9. Tyrizian

During testing (COMODO), I ran 250 malware samples and nothing escaped....So, I would say it's pretty safe to use.

The only thing I like more in Sandboxie, is the configuration options it gives you.

10. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

Ah cool you were willing to test the sandbox in CIS 6 !
    I wasn't aware of your test, I must have missed it if you posted about it.
    Only thing what's been on my mind is that the "fully virtualized" option for the auto sandbox is a registry edit to enable it.
    Must be that the devs are not really convinced it is working without bugs or flaws. I did enable it however, to have the option in there, but I mostly have the setting at "untrusted".
    Seems to me that this would for me personally would be the best setting, at this moment that is.

And indeed SBIE is very configurable, I agree, and it has been around for a long time and the dev of sbie is very active person and very quick responding/helpful to everyone on the sandboxie forum.
    It's just that I'm very curious of the sandbox of CIS. Hopefully it will be a bit more configurable, but I doubt it will be as configurable as sandboxie is.

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Sounds like the sandbox in CIS is pretty much turning back everything thrown at is. And I don't doubt the AV is catching up as well, though probably still a step behind the major players that've been at it forever. But I'll bet the gap has narrowed significantly.

If you're looking for all-in-one protection... it certainly seems like the thing to use. But I personally shy away from the "all your eggs in 1 basket" approach. The concept of layered security is rendered somewhat moot when all those layers are in the same product. If it is compromised somehow, or even fails to load accidentally... it's game over.

That's one big reason I'll continue to use SBIE in addition to Comodo FW/D+ only. The other being the reasons usually brought up in SBIE's favor: time tested/proven, more granularity, familiarity, and stand alone (bred for just that 1 purpose). Usually in such cases you can trust it to do that 1 thing better. Though I'd hardly call Comodo a master of none... I consider it's FW & HIPS modules quite masterful.

12. Tyrizian

Nope, this is the first time of me posting about my test. I was going to mention it later on, but the mentioning of Comodo's sandbox seemed like the right time to bring it up.

I use untrusted as well, as per following Chiron's configuration guide...It's the best/strongest setting in my opinion.

I'm sure it will become as configurable one day, but as for it's protection abilities...I find them the same.

You really can't go wrong with either product.

13. Tyrizian

This is the way I see it....

Sandboxie = The wiser one (The been there, Done that tool), comes with all the configuration options one desires, runs lighter than any sandbox application out there, is payed attention/developed constantly, The support for the product is constant (Forums, etc.), can be used with Buster Sandbox Analyzer.

Comodo = The new kid on the block, with less configuration options.

Both are solid products and provide the same amount of protection, but as far as one being far more superior than the other, at least feature wise....It is a win for Sandboxie.

I think I might have security setup OCD or something, because all this Sandboxie talk wants me to go back to it. *Sigh*, sometimes being a tester/geek has it's drawbacks hahaha

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It's quite the opposite. Your setup is not needed with sbie. ;)

15. Dubslap

Dubslap Registered Member

Win7 Home Premium x64

Firefox w/ Adblock Plus
    NortonDNS

Sandboxie (Firefox, MPCHC)

Comodo FW/D+ 5.12
    Emisoft Anti-Malware

MBAM PRO and HitmanPro for on demand.

This setup seems light on my system no slow downs or crashes. Switched to Comodo 5.12 because i aint to keen on v6 and also dident feel safe with win7 firewall advanced block in/out. I formated my pc 2 days ago no idea what was the cause but Sandboxie + Comodo V6 kept crashing firefox on some flash heavy sites like 4od, youtube etc but since i switched to 5.12 no problems o_O

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Added WSA. It's no fun. So light, fast and quiet. Cannot feel it's there. No hassle.

17. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah It's almost no fun at all. I have that with NVT pro. Light as a feather and I don't have to worry about much of anything. Especially with NVT in lockdown mode.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

same here in lockdown mode it is supper powerfull indeed;)

19. Dubslap

Dubslap Registered Member

Already changed again after 24 hours lol. Gone back to win7 firewall.

Win7 Firewall Advanced
    NortonDNS
    Mozilla w/ Adblock Plus (Also sandboxed with with Sandboxie)

Emisoft Anti-Malware (paid)
    NVT Exe Radar Pro (paid)

Malwarebytes Pro (paid) (on-demand)
    HitmanPro (on-demand)

Only just purchased NVT so currently playing about with it, nice peice of software.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good choice man:thumb:

21. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

IMO I would trust Sandboxie more than Comodo's sandbox especially since Comodo has constantly had more issues with malware breaking out the sandbox.

22. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Added Avast 8 beta to my current setup. I normally don't like going more than 3 realtime apps.
    Avast 8 is running really smoothly. I don't have the lag from the web shield that I used to get. It's only running around 4-5K with 2 procs. It's amazing how light it is. Heck NVT pro is running 12K.
    Yeah I know I have two AV's running. I don't consider WSA as a realtime AV since its cloud based.
    I think that Avast 8 will be one of the better AV's in 2013. Good job Avast.

23. Tyrizian

I would have to agree

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

AppGuard 3.4.2 + Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325
    AdMuncher 4.93 + Macrium Reflect 4.2
    OpenDNS + Opera

25. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

ok slight change in security setup.

Comodo (CIS 6) firewall + Hips, sandbox, behavior blocker (not installed the AV component).
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7
    AdMuncher 4.93 (because it blocks ads in webbrowsers and other apps!)
    on demand: Hitman Pro / MBAM

I think I'm finally satisfied, but for how long ? hehe. anyway, i like this setup for now

comodo tweaks:
    autosandbox setting to 'untrusted'.
    turned off trust files/signed in file ratings settings:
    May raise a few more popups, like sandboxing trusted/signed installs/files but I can easily revert or click on don't sandbox again option (which for me personally isn't a big deal to do some extra work to install or run something).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.