What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. zitch

zitch Guest

Yep....I am running XP pro, with Emet, all .exe files configured, ExploitShield running OUTSIDE of Emet, ~AND~ have set Sandboxie to cover ALL Java,Macromedia,Adobe, and Flashplayer apps and files. Have also gone to MSconfig, disabled SSDP discovery, UPNP(Universal Plug And Play),and blocked Windows\system32\ping.exe (In-Out) in firewall rules. Hips set to paranoid mode. ------Can't do much more--------

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

@Arcanez Deppfreeze works good in win xp and win 7 :thumb: never try it in win8 but way there is a new version coming soon:thumb:
    Note Regarding Internet Explorer 10 and Windows 8 Currently Faronics Labs is not fully supported by IE10. Please add faronics.com to the list of sites used in Compatibility Mode in Internet Explorer. If you use Internet Explorer you may need to do the following before being able to successfully login:

@jo3blac1 just be carefull with just running mbampro alone,i know that you are running k9 webprotection which is very powerfull filter and blocks alot of stuff and i mean alot but last week i clean a computer which has mbampro as the only security guard on and it was very infected with Ro0tKits and other viruses i was very surprice to see mbampro and alot of malware in the system,i updated mbam and run a quick scan and found nothing and after i loaded hitmanpro and run a scan and found alot of mention malware above :?) o well i know you are a experience user and that helps too

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If by "set" SBIE you mean you've installed those apps into restricted sandboxes to begin with. Also sandbox any removable drives/USB ports. And utilize that paranoid mode effectively... you're good as gold. I'd say you could use NoScript too, if you don't already. That could be "more" you could do. And have clean images handy.

4. I just installed HitmanPRO for extra protection, it's small and efficient and does the job nicely. The quality of the scanners is very good :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I've come to hate traditional security software suites, I see them as useless junk that doesn't stop malware. In this case I will make the exception due to it's low footprint and good code, the same go's for MBAM i.e it's really well written and has decent protection in it's URL filter and heuristics engine.

I also admire APPguard and Sandboxie, innovative programs they are but at this stage won't install them due to not caring really :p.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@VectorFool
    Emsisoft and Shadow Defender are rock solid.:thumb:

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Dark Shadow
    Now don't make too much noise or the f secure guys would know and cancel your luck.:D

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@jo3blac1
    Nice setup. Looks really clean and light.:thumb:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@luciddream
    Good advice.:thumb: I'm living only on sbie.;)

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@ComputerSaysNo
    Good going. HMP & MBAM light combo. I'd say if you're not going for sbie you're missing a stellar protection. Sbie is more than enough. Only thing in my pc right now.;)

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

And how did you configure HitmanPro to stop malware that the other useless security software can't?

11. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

My Security Setup / Feel free to comment, criticize and/or suggest changes or whatever.

Hardware:
    - Tweaked Wireless N Router with security in mind

I have an old machine that I could use with something like Smoothwall Express but I'm not sure if this is really needed or if such setup would be too tiresome to maintain.

Operating Systems:
    - For testing things: Windows XP Professional x86
    - For regular usage: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Windows 8 (Pro or Enterprise) is better but I'll use it when I buy a new machine that comes with it. Simple reason is, I'm too lazy to configure everything again to my tastes. To configure everything again, I really need one of the strongest compelling reasons, like a new machine...

Security Suites:
    - On XP: Microsoft Security Essentials & Privatefirewall
    - On 7: Webroot SecureAnywhere

WSA is the lightest security suite I've ever used, its detection rates seem to be beter than those of MSE and it also provides a handful set of extra tools. However, FPs are frequent and they are starting to get on my nerves.

Domain Blockers:
    - Adblock Plus with EasyList (Opera)
    - Fanboy TPLs (IE)
    - SmartScreen (IE)
    - SpywareBlaster (IE)

Fulfills all my current needs.

On-Demand Scanners:
    - Hitman Pro
    - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Online Scanners:
    - Comodo Valkyrie
    - Comodo Web Inspector
    - Jotti
    - novirusthanks
    - urlQuery
    - VirusTotal
    - Zscaler Zulu

Encryption and Password Management:
    - 7-Zip
    - LastPass
    - OpenDNS DNSCrypt
    - Neo's SafeKeys
    - TrueCrypt

Fullfills all my current needs.

Backup:
    - FastCopy
    - Macrium Reflect Free
    - SkyDrive
    - System Restore

Hardening and Privacy:
    - BlackVipers' Services Configurations
    - CCleaner with Winapp2.ini
    - EMET
    - Panda USB Vaccination
    - Sandboxie
    - Several security/privacy tweaks
    - Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
    - Tor Browser Bundle
    - xp-AntiSpy

Update Management:
    - Driver Detective
    - Ma-Config
    - Microsoft Update
    - PortableApps Platform
    - Razer GameBooster
    - Secunia PSI
    - SUMo

Some of these tools offer wrong or unwanted updates sometimes. To manually update apps (installed and portable), drivers and others is a tiresome process and I only do it because I'm slightly addicted to this process. However, this addiction is slowly going away and I'm now looking forward to more automation in this area.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Wilder Hunter
    I'd suggest Fanboy's Ultimate List for AdBlock Plus.

13. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Thanks for the suggestion Amit, but even the official Fanboy List alone (without the extras for blocking trackers, etc) brings too many false positives (issues with legitimate websites) on Opera with ADB+ in my experience. That's why I switched back to the default EasyList.

Also, trackers aren't a real issue for my usage - I tweaked Opera to "Accept cookies only from the site I visit" and also to "Delete new cookies when exiting Opera".

Besides that, Fanboy and EasyList are getting merged, and EasyList will be the one that will remain AFAIK.

BTW, my nickname is Wild Hunter, not Wilder Hunter. :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  14. Robot_Z

Robot_Z Registered Member

Hello,

Got rid of Avast (for now), TrendMicro Antivirus Titanium+ on board now.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

change things around for now;)
    VIPRE Internet Security 2013 :thumb:

16. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Yes you are of course 100% right. I did get infected via USB, Im pretty sure I got it when I was giving powerpoint presentation at work 2 weeks ago. I found out only today after I installed FortiClient end point security.
    On the other hand I use No Script in Firefox combined with EMET so I am unlikely to get infected from the internet. Especially that I visit very few unknown websites. The USB infection was something that I did not anticipate.

Pre infection set up:
    - MBAM Pro
    - K9
    - Firefox + NS + ABP

Post infection set up:
    - MBAM Pro
    - Forticlient End Point Security
    - Firefox + NS + ABP

17. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

MBAM did not do anything?

18. jo3blac1

No it didn't. Which is fair enough because MBAM developers do state that it doesn't replace an AV but is intended to supplement it.

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

told ya,what happen is that mbampro can only do some of the work we need usb internet web protection etc etc or best of all anti-executables,sandboxes or alike:thumb:

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

now for now it is what is in my signiture

21. jo3blac1

Yeah I tried NVT ERP several times. For some reason each time I got turned off by bugs or excessive notifications. During my 4th attempt the application wouldn't activate.
    I might give it another try in a couple of days. Honestly I can't deal with pop ups. I wish these guys had a guide or something that I could just read. I would like to configure it to be like AppGuard, totally silent and blocking all executables.

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good idea:)
    or even sandboxie

23. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

25. Check the box "DETECT SUPER MALWARE" :argh: :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.