What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. new2security

new2security Registered Member

My sig!

Haven't changed it for quite a long time and it works nicely. No performance hits and no malware infection so far (knock on wood).

Other than this particular security setup, I'm always trying to move away from "bloated" software to simple solutions whose features only do what they're supposed to do, e.g. Sumatra PDF was a recent migration that suits me well.

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

@new2security
    Nice setup!

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

replaced malware defender for spyshelter free:thumb:

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

replaced malware defender for WinPatrol
    too many pop-ups for you too j?:D

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

alot alot:D :argh: :argh: :)
    also i removed SpyShelter Free cause it blocks alot of legit programs
    replaced spyshelter free for WinPatrol PLUS
    i think i got a good combo so far so good light and strong,light hips with a behabiuor blocker and antivirus :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Yes, I do use Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 (32-bit of course).
    Do you mean on the following thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=329584

If that's the case I have already copied that, and I have both created gpedit.msc shortcut and followed all of your instructions.

Regarding Comodo, I like Comodo very much, but why should I use computer space and ram memory if router's spi firewall takes care of everything without using ram memory resources?

It doesn't make any sense to me, so I'll just stick with with Windows XP Pro firewall hardening for inbound protection and I have tweaked Sandboxie, but I'm still confused how does exactly WinPatrol Plus works, I simply installed it and did nothing (I installed free version) WinPatrol Plus does nothing, but I want to know how does it protect my computer and if I like it I'll buy it.

Regarding Comodo..., why do you recommend me Comodo 5.10 over 6.0?
    Is there a particular reason?
    Shouldn't user always use updated/upgraded version of every software product, otherwise he/she is in danger that he/she will get his/her security compromised, eventually?
    Thanks again.

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

:eek:
    How is it?...how it blocks?...by itself?...what was fixed on in settings?

8. pablozi

pablozi Registered Member

I am using KIS 2013 with OpenDNS and HMP. Seems a lot lighter than Emsisoft combo. No delay on programs execution less CPU consumption, fast full scan. So far so good :thumb:

9. zitch

zitch Guest

Most cases, YES. I am running an older version of Comodo firewall. Still rock solid, no conflicts. And my Windows firewall has been disabled for a long time.

10. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Thanks AlexC! Thanks to Wilders, it was possible.

11. gery

gery Registered Member

Avast Pro Antivirus MBAM Pro

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

New setup:

Titanium AV+
    Sbie
    Hitman Pro

Everything is smooth and fast. :thumb:

13. c2d

c2d Registered Member

What's the internet speed and general responsiveness with Titanium?Any slowdowns?Would like to try it.

Thanks

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ichito it blocks some of my programs and after exclude them still blocks them again

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@c2d
    It's very light and I don't even know it's there. I also change the interface background.:D Support is rapid. And protection is strong. Overall I like it.

16. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Only if you want outbound filtering & app control (D+). If all you care for is inbound protection then you shouldn't use it. I use it because I'm a control freak. I want control over everything on my box. It's also why I comb through every single setting in my LP, GP, SRP, Services, Computer Management & more and fine tune them exactly as I want them.

Why not v6?... because I find it bloated and I don't need half of the features on it. FW & D+ is all I need, and in those regards v6 offers me no real marked improvements and only more clutter. And I like the way 5 is laid out more and am familiar with it.

And normally sure, you want software updated. But with FW's it's far less of a need. Their nature doesn't tend to change much over time. Tell me this... when's the last time your Windows FW was updated?... or the software/firmware in your router? Comodo 5.10 has almost certainly been updated far more recently than either, and yet they're doing their job just fine, are they not? Kerio 2.1.5 is also protecting many a user just fine all these years later... as is LooknStop.

And yeah... that's the right link alright. That'll harden your XP FW from termination.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  17. CoolWebSearch

You know this is why I never understood why people say DefenseWall is better than GesWall, just because GesWall is not updated anymore, but regarding Windows XP all of the updates are not even necessary, because it was actually built up for Windows-NT systems (XP) in the first place, but also it supports Vista and Windows 7 on 32-bit and it's extremely light on resources and equally good as DefenseWall at sandboxing, actually isolating/blocking malwares in the first place.
    It isolates and block all malware and there is pretty much no need for update anymore (almost).

Why don't use one of the windows firewall controllers instead of Comodo's HIPS? They are much lighter than Comodo...?
    From where can you download Comodo Firewall 5.10 version?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  18. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Windows 8 built in security with Norton DNS.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Dark Shadow
    Nice.:thumb:

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

21. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It doesn't provide nearly the level of control, granularity, or even protection that Comodo does. And to be honest I've found those controllers every bit as heavy. Or perhaps rather that Comodo is just as light. If I broke the resource usage down on paper sure they "might" consume less, but what matters is how much actual impact you feel. I've run into cases where things that consume less juice on paper actually feel heavier in reality, don't ask me how?... Comodo FW/D+ runs just as light on pretty much every box I've ever seen than some of those controllers, and in some cases even lighter. Much lighter even.

And I was even going to cite Geswall as an example too, but figured I'd stick to pure outbound FW's. The nature of packet filtering really hasn't changed much over time. Updates are pretty much exclusively to address compatibility/stability & performance, and/or in Comodo's case to add more vendors to the TVL. Since I delete my TVL and it plays just fine with my setup as is, there hasn't been anything in an update for quite some time that's done me any good really.

22. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Windows 7 Home premium x64
    ° updated

Realtime protection
    ° Bitdefender Internet Security 2013

On demand
    ° Hitmanpro

Instant Recovery
    ° Rollback RX

Browser
    ° Firefox
    Addons: Adblock plus & Flashblock
    ° IE9

Software updater
    ° KC Softwares SUMo

23. CoolWebSearch

Try to use user guide from GesWall, I tried it worked, I basically isolated every single application that I have and forbid internet access to them (just make sure to first look at their user guide on GesWall website in .pdf)).

I'm also control freak, extremely paranoid (this comes from very bad experience with hackers and malwares' infections), but I have family around myself who are very anxious whenever Comodo or Online Armor or any oher software pops up with the choice to allow or deny something (even though they have learning modes)?

So I had to find a more silent path to the extreme security, with zero pop ups.
    But I also have to admit I don't like whenever an software like Comodo or Online armor is too big, unless I really have 16 or more gigabytes of ram memory, so I can be sure that there wouldn't be any unpleasant surprises regarding eating memory usage.

BTW, big thanks for that thread it realy helped me a lot windows xp pro sp 3 firewall hardening.

24. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

New setup:
    WIN 7 X64 + WF+ EMET+ IE9 + MSE + MBAM real time + SPB :)

25. nozzle

nozzle Registered Member

Win7x64

Norton DNS

Sandboxie

Comodo Firewall - ProActive

Firefox (Sandboxed) with BD TrafficLight, Ghostery, AdBlock Plus, Better Privacy, Native FlashBlock, and Lastpass.

On Demand: VirusTotal and Hitman Pro

No drag or lag. Just right for a noobie like me :D . Thought about NoScript but I don't think I need it with my setup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.