What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

comodo firewall
    norton dns
    avira free
    hitman pro

im having this nagging pop up at start up

saying looking for newly installed program

how do i get rid of this?

2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

My setup hasn't changed much and it is as follows:

System configuration and hardening:
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit
    User Account Control: I have set UAC control on 'Always notify'. All changes to my computer need administrator aproval.
    Autorun / Autoplay: This feature is disabled. Everything that needs to be run is run manually.
    Services: All unnecessary services are disabled. Some services have startup type changed from "Automatic" to "Manual" and are run on-demand.
    Windows 7 features: Unnecessary and unused Windows features are turned off.
    User Accounts: Built-in Administrator and Guest accounts are disabled.
    Logon: Secure Logon is turned on. It prevents other programs from intercepting my login credentials.

Network security:
    Router: Whole network is behind router with SPI firewall. Unsolicited inbound connections are blocked. Router has access from Wan and UPnP disabled.
    Wireless: Wireless access to network is secured with strong password. WPA2-PSK EAS encryption is used.
    Firewall: Windows 7 built-in firewall is enabled and blocks unsolicited inbound connections. Outbound connections are not monitored.

System and applications security:
    Software Restriction Policy: SRP are turned on. They are enforced for all users (including Administrator). All software is monitored (DLLs also) and certificate rules are ignored. Program files and Windows are the only allowed locations.
    Sandboxie: Chrome and IE are always run in seperate sandoxes. This is how SBIE is set:
    - immediate recovery to download folder is enabled
    - content of sandbox is deleted when the last sandboxed program ends
    - only specified programs can start and run in sandboxes
    - browsers are run with dropped rights
    - browsers have blocked access to personal data
    - browsers have direct access only to bookmarks
    Antivirus: No antivirus is used at the time.

Data security:
    Acronis True Image: System image is created once a week to another HDD. I use hot imaging when creating and cold imaging when restoring an image.
    Keepass: All logins are stored in password protected database. Unique password is used for each login.
    Truecrypt: All sensitive data is stored in password protected encrypted conatiner.
    CCleaner: MRUs, temporary files and other junk files are deleted at least once a day.
    Recuva: It is used to recover accidently deleted files.

nternet security and privacy:
    Chrome: Third-party cookies and all pop-ups are blocked.
    Adblock Plus: ABP extension makes my internet experience clean. Easylist and Fanboy's list are enabled.
    OpenDNS: OpenDNS provides reliable internet connection and protects from phishing websites.
    Other mitigations: No Java installed. No Flash for IE. Chrome PPAPI Flash plugin is enabled.

Online banking security:
    Banking environment: All banking is conducted in sandboxed Chrome after previous browsing session is closed, all sandboxed processes are ended and all data in sandbox is deleted.
    Login: Access to my ebank account is protected with this feauteres:
    - I have to identify myself with my personal certificate. Access to certificate is password protected.
    - on login screen personal message is shown. It's an anti-phising feature.
    - I have strong login password set. If wrong password is entered three times, certificate and access to my account are blocked.
    - after each (un)successful login I get SMS.
    Funds protection: Additional protection for my funds:
    - my bank has enforced additional protection for funds. I got additional 8 letter password. Each time a transfer to non-saved account is attempted, 2 random letters from additional password must be entered. Letters are selected using on-screen keyboard.
    - I have set daily and monthly limit for online payments and transfers. To change the limit 2 random letters from additional password must be entered.
    Paypal: Only payments through Paypal for online purcheses are used. No online merchant gets my credit card information.

On-demand scanning:
    HitmanPro: Default scan with HitmanPro is run each day.
    Emsisoft Emergency Kit: Once a week smart scan is run.
    VirusTotal Uploader: Uploader is used for upload and scan of individual files on online service's site.

Updating:
    Windows Update: Windows update is used to update system and other software from Microsoft.
    Secunia PSI: Scan is run once a week to check for security updates for my system and applications.

Other security related tools:
    Virtualbox: Virtualbox provides me virtual environment for testing purposes.
    Autoruns: Autoruns is run once a week to check all startup items.
    Process Hacker / Process Explorer: They are used as replacement for Windows Task Manager.

Regards,
    Tom

3. Robot_Z

Robot_Z Registered Member

No realtime still, just good old Firefox with some addons for privacy/security.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Faronics Anti-Executable 5.10.1112.540 :thumb: :thumb:

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Just for kicks I tried the latest version of AE recently and found that while accessing the whitelist, it took quite a long time, (Xp SP3 32-bit)
    Hows it responding on your computer j ?
    I also had the dll monitoring at install and that may have been slowing it down a bit.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah. No slowdown. Even with my low spec 1gb ram old netbook. You can imagine how light the combo would be in a more featured pc.:D

7. DX2

DX2 Guest

AppGuard 64b, OD - MBam

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@luciddream
    How is Shadow Defender? Is it as strong as sbie? Does it play nice with sbie?

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@tomazyk
    Awesome setup as usual. So simple yet powerful. :)

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@DX2
    Nice setup. :thumb:

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Win XP 32bit
    Sandboxie
    HitmanPro
    Firefox - NoScript + AdBlock Plus

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

LoneWolfe yeas same here it took some time to load but after a reboot it was ok and i have enable jar and dll control;) no slow down here in win764 bit system i will try in my xp3 and i will let you know:thumb:

13. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Okay then, I'll turn on MBAM's real-time protection, see how it does with everything else running. In the past I saw a hit in speed, maybe it's been refined since then.

14. DX2

DX2 Guest

Nice setup yourself. Have you tried GesWall on your Xp machine?

15. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2013 and WSA Essentials. Sincerely...Securon

16. theharlequin

theharlequin Registered Member

Recent recruit to these forums and already loving the fact I have tested a dozen new programs I was totally ignorant of before joining.

Settled with separate sandboxes for internet facing applications with Sandboxie Paid, sandboxing WinXP Pro SP3 with Shadow Defender. Unwanted Windows services disabled, remote assistance disabled, etc. Kerio Firewall v2.1.5 filters inbound/outbound network activity. HMP and MBAM are on-demand. Firefox with NoScript, VirusTotal Hash check add-ons, plus firefox's config file toughened for extra privacy. Avira Antivirus Free runs in the background however I am considering uninstalling it. MJ RegWatch is running to alert me if anything attempts to adjust the registry, if this happens I can investigate why/how.

Use to run CCleaner and BleachBit to remove unwanted files however with ShadowDefender this isn't something I need to do daily anymore. Replaced Windows built-in defragmenter with Defraggler.

17. OHM

OHM Guest

Same here. :doubt:

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah MBAM is smooth. :)

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@DX2
    Thanks. Nope. I thought GW was an abandonware. :doubt:

20. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

So far so good, and yeah they're playing fine together. As "strong" as SBIE?... that's kind of a subjective question. I see it as kind of a SBIE for my OS in shadow mode. It hardly makes SBIE redundant though, since it would prevent my browser from allowing any sensitive info. out in case of a compromise... before I could reboot my box. I like having both of them.

21. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

That's a really good setup for XP IMHO.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

What I meant was you know, SD not being supported for sometime now and could be vulnerable to malware and stuff. :doubt: Sbie is just hard rock. Don't know if it could be bypassed easily by malware or not as effective against them as it used to be since it's kind of old and unsupported. :(

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  23. Sevens

Sevens Guest

COMODO Internet Security 5
    Blue Coat K9 Web Protection
    COMODO Time Machine (C drive)
    ViceVersa Pro 2 (personal files backup to another drive)
    Bleachbit
    Winaso ( registry cleaner)
    Macrium Reflect Standard Ed.(installed)

I never posted my whole security solution before. But this combination has worked perfect on my system a long time.

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325 for Xp 32-bit is solid as a rock.
    Nothing, and I mean nothing has ever bypassed SD in the three plus years I've been using it and I've been to some very questionable/seedy areas of the net. :D
    Not to mention the things I've purposely thrown at SD only to reboot and come out clean as a whistle.

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@LoneWolf
    Thanks a lot for the assurance. :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.