What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

In that case you could use EAM freeware mode. And use your licensed EAM in another pc. No need to cripple paid EAM when Emsisoft is already offering on-demand free EAM. www.emsisoft.com

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How is it Abu? I see you're using it in your XP pc. I reckon it's an old low powered machine. How is it handling KIS?

3. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Does freeware mode install any service or run any process at startup or is it truly on-demand only? I'm using their Emergency Kit now.

4. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Same here.I would define Avast in two words:lightness and power!:thumb: :thumb:

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I have never used freeware EAM. But there is no scheduled scanning and auto-updating so I guess any process or service should not be running at startup. I believe it is truly on-demand.

6. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

I think that freeware mode have one process at startup (maybe two, not sure), if you wont with no process then use EEK ;) .

7. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

OK. Thank you for that info. Will stay with EEK...

8. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I wasn't planning on crippling EAM, I was planning on crippling Avira ;)

But yeah, I'd prefer to just have another product like MBAM Free. Something light, on demand only, that provides a shell integration/right click option to easily scan files on demand.

Something that doesn't require any services to be running, or for the program to be open to have the shell integration work (i.e. SAS). Basically, again, something just like MBAM Free. A 2'nd option to it.

Thanks a ton in advance...

Also: The thing is I don't just want some spyware/adware program. I want it to be a bonafide AV, with good, comprehensive detection rates. That's why I figured my only option to achieve this was really to cripple a well respected, real-time AV.

So does this EEK program have the same defs that EAM does? Does it have shell integration without having to have the thing open & running? Is it everything I mentioned above (like MBAM Free)?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Here's a d/load link to Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Give it a test out & let us know your opinion. It has no cleaning power. It's just a 'spotter'.

10. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I don't know about definitions but I guess it has the same as EAM. It doesn't have shell integration - you have to run it and then perform custom scan.

11. luciddream

Thanks anyway, but that's not what I'm looking for then. I'm starting to think that crippling a real-time AV is the only way to accomplish what I want.

Something like an "Avira Lite" would be fantastic. Have it be like MBAM Free, just with Avira's definition database instead. Used only for on demand scanning & shell integration/right click scanning.

Ah... to dream. If anyone knows of such a thing, please, let me know. I would even pay a nominal fee for something like that ($20-30).

12. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Hitman Pro?

edit: Maybe not. HMP has shell integration, but not recursive scans, at least with the free version. They may be adding recursive scanning to the paid version, but I'm not sure if they have yet. If they do, I'll buy the license.

I use MBAM to check downloaded files before taking them out of the sandbox, and HMP and EEK (even though I have an EAM license) for general scans.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  13. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

You can add HitmanPro or Kingsoft...
    Clipboard01.png

,,,or you can add Hash Check, it check hash and send to VirusTotal.
    Clipboard02.png

14. luciddream

HMP has shell integration? I've never noticed it back when I had it installed. Now I just run it portable, and it's definitely not there. I don't like that it automatically puts itself in my OS partition and lacks a custom install.

Does it have to be open for the shell integration to exist? If so, not what I'm looking for. That was my beef with SAS (one of many).

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

HMP pro has a right click option,shell integration but has to be checked in the box of the GUI as its not buy default.

16. luciddream

I just checked, and that setting is greyed out for me, I can't check it. Does it have to be installed in order to use it? And/or do you need the paid version?

17. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

Found heavier than v.2012 o_O even I did clean installation.
    I was impressed, installation pretty fast indeed. So far running fine as single weapon while MBAM pro on-demand only

18. DX2

DX2 Guest

Yes, has to be installed.

19. luciddream

Props DX2... only wish it had a custom install. I like to keep my OS isolated from everything else. Especially from something that's going to be interacting directly with (potential) malware.

The lack of a custom install = big oversight IMO.

So... back to crippling a real-time AV I am.

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I have the HMP free installed.

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see. It's a monster then.:D How much ram does it eat from the poor machine?

22. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

avp > 5.578k
    avp > 35,899k
    when Idle
    don't have much time to take screenshot :D
    but overall, I'm happy with its performance. No lag/slowdown browsing or opening an app :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah that's great.:thumb: I might try KIS 2013 soon.:)

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

same here is fast also:thumb: and i have the webshield on high;)

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Did you try setting all the shield to high and see if it's still as fast? Try it J.;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.