What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

...for AVG problem...

You can try AppRemover.
    If first option don't work try another option "Clean Up a failed..."

appremover-3.png

2. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

reformated my pc

windows xp

avira free
    private firewall
    hitman pro
    malwarebytes free

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'm now using what's in my sig.:)

4. THESAWISFAMILY2005

norton dns works so fast

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah it's faster than my isp. Which one do you use? A, B or C?

6. THESAWISFAMILY2005

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Nothing like a fresh system.:thumb:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Great. I use C.:)

9. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon ! Re-Installed Eset Smart Security 5...and Hitman Pro...and of course WSA Essentials. Sincerely...Securon

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

IKARUS anti.virus and HitManPro :thumb: :thumb:
    i think i am crazy but i will stick with the antivirus signiture for my real time and drop the proactive protection

11. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Have no idea why I didn't think of this sooner but now am using AppRemover as well.

12. Robot_Z

Robot_Z Registered Member

Removed Toolwiz Timefreeze.. Had some really peculiar stuff happen after running it. Ex: Restore points deleted, VMs unloadable, etc

(Tried it a few weeks ago actually, and I never had problems with it. I really think it was Toolwiz since it's the only thing I had running at the time)

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

DefenseWall Firewall
    HitmanPro

My system is light and fast.:thumb:

14. Robot_Z

Robot_Z Registered Member

Considering adding Sandboxie, but I don't really know a ton about it. Would the default settings be adequate protection?

15. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I installed Sandboxie on my other half's laptop, default settings, out of the box. I wouldn't call her a particularly safe surfer, and she'd be the first to admit that she knows very little about security, but she's not had an infection or single threat since installing Sandboxie two years ago - nothing. I've been amazed when scanning as I expect to find something, but every time it's a clean result.

I guess it depends on what you do, how you surf, etc. But, the default settings, for an 'average' user, should be more than adequate.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

exactly

17. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

The protection that you get on a default settings sandbox is very good. I know it because most of the people that I know in real life that are using SBIE, have never changed settings and don't get infected anymore. Also, even though most of the sandboxes that I use are restricted, sometimes I have to use a sandbox with default settings to install something or to watch a video that would not run on a restricted sandbox. Despite that, I never seen anything escape the sandbox.

My advice to you as a first time user is to use a default settings sandbox for a while so when you start making changes, you ll be able to compare how programs behave differently in a restricted sandbox. I see too many people making changes to settings right away after installing SBIE, in my opinion thats not the right way to start using the program.

For safety, make sure your sandbox is set to delete on closing and for convenience, set your browser to be able to save bookmarks. Those are the only changes that I recommend you make right away as a first time user.

Enjoy the sandbox

Bo

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Bo knows. That's what I always say. Especially about Sandboxie.
    But Bo, don't you think that it is a good idea to change the default restrictions configuration, by allowing some needed program internet access and start/run access? If a user doesn't make this change, then by default, all programs are given internet and start/run access in the sandbox.

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

After being uninfected trying out 21 fresh samples, My friend and I agreed that I am not allowed to apply safe-hex anymore (and disable unwanted add-ware when installing new software), since average Jane or Joe would use the default installer options (which often include add-ware/PUP/etc). Rules of the bet are also changed: bottles won are not given away anymore, but used as anti-dehydration solution on quarterly infection evaluation/PC check up).

As a counter measure I was allowed to add the option to look for/protect against PUP (potentially unwanted programs) in Avast and added AdBlock+ as Chrome extension.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  20. bo elam

If you think about it, most people read very little about programs before they get installed. I think Tzuk knows that. So, he designed a easy to use and safe default sandbox, perfect for first time users. Restricting the sandbox can be done as we learn more and more about the program. Just my opinion.

Bo

21. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Robot Z, I agree with what has been said, Sandboxie is strong protection already. You can go to settings for the individual sandbox, click on 'delete' on the left, then 'delete invocation' and then 'automatically delete contents of sandbox'. That way when you close your browser, everything disappears. Just remember to save anything you don't want to lose somewhere outside the sandbox. You can close and reopen your browser in a few seconds whenever you want to clear out the sandbox. I do that whenever I go to a bank site or anything having to do with money, just in case I picked up a tracker of some sort in the sandbox.

Off topic, but it might be worth mentioning about quick relaunching the browser, the quickest way I've found to launch programs is from Free Launch Bar or its paid version, True Launch Bar. The icons are always in the same spot, and the recycle bin can be put on the bar, and to organize launch icons you can set up folders that open when the cursor is over them. There's information about it here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-program-launcher.htm

22. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro...WSA Essentials...Weather Update Cloudy Periods. LOL...Sincerely...Securon

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How so Bo? I can watch video in both browser and media player which are restricted. What restrictions are placed in your sandbox that a video would not run in the sandbox?

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Still using what's in my sig.

25. bo elam

In my Firefox sandbox, only Firefox is allowed to connect. I found some sites wont play the video unless I use a unrestricted sandbox. It might be that they require Plugin container to connect in order to show the video.

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.