What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yup he is always on the go. :D

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is :thumb: :thumb: so far so good:thumb: :thumb:

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Is it sluggish?

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Added sbie and just gone AV- less. Using what's in my sig. Am I protected enough?

5. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

It looks good to me :)

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah thx Tom. I'm also backing up my drives with Drive Snapshot. Oh and I'm using firefox with ABP and Adobe's Shockwave flash player as the only extensions and plugins.

7. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Yes, backup is a must. Maybe you can add EMET also?

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Running as Admin on Windows7 x32 ultimate with no third party real time security Changes/updates in orange

Network protection
    Wireless Router with WPA2, SPI with Flood/Poisoning/Spoofing protection and Norton DNS (malware). ISP service includes email scanner and spam-filter. Using Windows 7 internal FireWall both for inbound and outbound.

Low Rights Browsing and Privacy Protection
    Using Chrome (in Program Files) with Chrome sandbox (AppContainer), Flash and PDF PPAPI (sandboxed) plug-ins and build in safe browsing website blacklisting and download reputation scoring. Block indirect and HTTP cookies, allow HTTPS cookies, block javascript (except from *.NL and *.COM), click to play flash, installed Referer Control extension only (allow only HTTPS) with Windows7 skin.

Threat gate protection
    Running browser, mail, media player with EMET 3.5 memory protection. Added an ACL deny execute for everyone on all threat gate folders (browser download, e-mail and media player). Used Group policy hardening to deny execution from USB and never execute autoruns of USB sticks (and lot's of other GPO hardening).

AppLocker protection
    Users and Admins are allowed to only execute signed executables and DLL's from safe places (Program Files and Windows). Admins are allowed to run installers from Microsoft and run scripts in Windows directory.

On demand
    - Running CCleaner through scheduled task (/run /tn) to evade UAC pop-up
    - HitmanPro Free (cloud) scan

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

EMET does little in a XP system. And I do not like to use EMET even in my Win 7 system. :mad:

10. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

How comes? Do you have problems with certain software when it's under EMET control?

11. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

How do you know what policy rules to make? Can they be done on Windows 7 Pro and Home Premium?

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Has any tried Geswall lately.I recently tried it with comodo dragon and it goes nuts saying I am under attack just by openning the browser on windows 7 32bit.Maybe its something with chrome.Actually IE9 is doing it as well, maybe something broke it in windows 7.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  13. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Good man! :thumb: ...except for the "Running as Admin" part :ouch: :p

...but I know you'll be perfectly okay :)

btw, what's UAC set at?

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah lots of apps. I also had slowdowns. I've since kept my distance from EMET and do not intend on reducing the distance any soon.

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

My comodo browser is a little flaky at times with EMET.I have it cranked on maxiumum.

16. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Yeah, it made one of my program not run and EMET was the last thing I found out to be the problem. :oops:

17. Brandonn2010

Added ScriptNo for Chrome. Figured most drive-by-downloads will come from scripts so why not block them? May get rid of an AV and just scan downloads with HitmanPro.

Does that seem secure assuming I left everything else the same?

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah sure my friend. You'll be well protected. With AG and HMP you don't need an AV and heck you wouldn't even need ScriptNo as Chrome is already sandboxed.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Just added Online Armor. Just couldn't stay away from it for long. ;)

20. Brandonn2010

I thought about a HIPS FW but figured it would just annoy me, and be redundant with AppGuard. And drive-bys can't penetrate Google's sandbox?? If that's the case, that means I could only be infected by running malware manually?

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah HIPS FW is probably redundant with your AG. I just love a HIPS/AE FW combo. Gives me a sense of immense control over my system. Thus a peace of mind. :)

An exploitation of the sandbox? And many more ways! I'm no expert but you will always find lots of threads discussing how many ways you can be infected even with such prevention measures. I would advise not to underestimate your opponent- malware.:D

22. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Isn't ScriptNo buggy? I've seen a lot of reports at Wilders from users saying that it doesn't block scripts at first; you actually need to reload the page... which would be pointless. You should be careful and test whether or not it blocks script when you first visit a page, even if it says it's blocking. Visit a page that you know it normally requires JavaScript, and if it that functionality of the page doesn't work, then it probably means ScriptNo did it's job. But, even then, don't be 100% confident that it will work all the time.

23. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's stuck using Asynchronous APIs so it can't stop the page from loading while it works. So the first time it's likely that you'll get Javascript going through but the second time you visit the page it probably won't.

24. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Bought a second laptop yesterday,and "his highness" received as guards:
    Avast free
    OA free.I will think about adding SBIE,just want to see and feel how's going without it.
    The other laptop:
    PCAV pro
    CIS FW D+
    SBIE.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  25. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Rollback Rx|Shadow Defender|Sandboxie|Windows 7 firewall

Other than imaging,do i need to add anything further to my setup?

How to add right click unblock execute only trick to a particular folder?(The one suggested by Kees)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.