What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

99% of the time I am using this:

Runing on Windows 7 x64
    KIS2012; Macrium Reflect Complete; Periodic (free) MalwareBytes scan; NortonDNS(free); Tunnelbear VPN(paid); Sandboxie browser on demand (for instance when on public network)

I used to use bit torrent or azure/vue within a virtual machine on a desktop (for downloading movies/tv shows), but got fed up with waiting/having to be paranoid, so now use one machine for occasional graboid use, and haven't had a problem. There also use superantispyware (paid)

Other than the graboid, habitually I don't go sticking my head above any parapett.

I am more worried about network exposure when travelling / don't have any file/folder sharing enabled or network discovery. I have bios/hard disk passwords, and use axcrypt to encrypt some files/folders rather than use bit locker (think it slows pc down too much); and use xsecrets for their cloud password storage, which lets me change passwords more frequently without worrying about forgetting them. I know its cloud but had got in the habit of using a few similar passwords for everything which was an accident waiting to happen.

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Back to my second favorite snapshot
    Avast free
    Comodo FW no D+
    SpyShelter free
    WinPatrol Plus
    Sandboxie

3. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

For my new laptop (Latitude D520, Core Solo T1350, 1.5GB ram) I use light setup:

Comodo Dragon (with Adblock, MyWot and LastPass extensions)
    Norton DNS
    Zemana AntiLogger
    Keyscrambler
    Avast! SecureLine (for public Wifi spots)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Add EMET and that's pretty much what my setup would look like running Win7 too. I'd use the native FW and maybe MSE too since I hear you don't even notice it (light). Unfortunately it doesn't play as nicely with XP. I love the minimalist approach.

The only problem is I really got used to liking a HIPS (D+ to be precise). Can anyone recommend a stand-alone HIPS comparable to D+, that's light, to compliment the Win7 firewall?

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) - Hardened as all hell, default deny SRP, LUA, Unsimple file sharing
    NAT router w/ SPI
    Windows FW - No exceptions, hardened from termination via GP edit
    Comodo FW - Custom Policy, stealth all ports / D+ - Safe Mode, Untrusted, trusted vendor list removed
    Comodo Secure DNS
    Sandboxie - Paid
    Macrium Reflect Standard
    Keyscrambler Premium
    Open VPN - IVPN (2 hops) + Mullvad
    Firefox - Hardened as hell - NS, ABP, Ghostery, Request Policy, CSlite, WOT, BetterPrivacy, HTTPS-Everywhere
    Ixquick search engine - SSL forced, proxy used on occasion w/VPN's

On demand scanners - Hitman Pro, MBAM, SAS, CCE, Kaspersky TDSS Killer, Bitdefender (online)

Safe browsing habits

... and it'll probably stay this way until they stop supporting XP. I love this setup and see no reason to change it. Very snappy on only 1 GB of RAM, and effective.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Joe how is avast running with sandboxie and comodo? Last time I used the same combo avast slowed down my browsing on firefox sandboxed.

7. JoeBlack40

As i'm using only the FW part,i can say that they're working super smooth and fast.Although i have Firefox installed,i use it very rarely and i didn't noticed any obvious slowdowns.My primary browser is Chrome and it's lightning fast,same for Comodo Dragon.
    Quick update:beside a longer delay for starting,Firefox doesn't seems slowed down.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha yeah, i feel naked without an AV. :oops: :D

9. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I also prefer HIPS to other blacklisting type apps. You can try Malware Defender and see if you like it.

10. kjdemuth

Thanks joe. Must just be me. I does take a while for me to open firefox. Part of which I know is sandboxie as well. It roughly takes a 7 count to open with avast and about 4 seconds without. Not too much of a big deal but enough to notice. I guess I could try chrome or dragon if I was looking to start a quick session.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

djohn=Dark Shadow=Dave

12. kjdemuth

He's going incognito.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

14. JoeBlack40

You're welcome.Yep,you should try kj.About Firefox,I know how it is when you're get used to a browser,it's hard to let go and go for another one.But damn...Chrome and Dragon are so fast... ;)

15. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Trying out the light version, no on-demand etc.

Running W7 Professional 64, EMET (maximum security settings), Restricted User, SRP, UAC max setting, Gpedit.msc -> this post , Secunia PSI, Windows Firewall, Avira Free for on demand scanning, Spywareblaster. And of course, I try to install only the software I really need. Also have disabled a bunch of services. For backup purpose I use Clonezilla.

System is incredibly fast (on i3, 4 gb ram, 500 gb 5400 rpm disk) and responsive.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

trying out Jetico Personal Firewall v2.0:thumb:

17. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

@ j,Yea man out with the old in with the new and speaking of out so is WSA what a disaster.

18. kjdemuth

Didn't like WSA dave?

19. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

anyone here run roboscan IS free? what do you think?

20. Dark Shadow

@Kjdemuth, WSA flaged DeepFreeze and quarantine it,so I restored it to find out the file was missing to open the gui to thaw from a frozen state. DF frozen does not allow restore or last know good config in safe mode and even a recovery management kicked me back to windows frozen and I had to reformat all over.A false positive that nuked my system so I will never again run a resident scanner, I rather take my chances with nothing.DeepFreeze runs great when nothing damages it and if it does, man is it one tough program outside of format to defeat.

On a good note all the install and removing left overs are gone with registry nice and tidy and a lot faster system.:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  21. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

What about Macrium Reflect backup image? Wouldn't restore save the day?

You're right about RT scanners. Sometimes, they can do more harm than good.

22. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

lol whats up with all thawing and freezing going on here.. reminds me of chicken..just saying:argh:

23. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

You were using Shadow Defender a couple of days ago just saw now that you are back to DeepFreeze again.Why did you remove SD?

24. Dark Shadow

To be honest I did not try that but thought to start with clean format and start fresh with everyhting.

25. Dark Shadow

Yes I am going back in fourth on my system between the two programs SD - DF.I do still have SD on my kids puter and its working great.I do like the convenience better of SD but still like DF and its being developed and very very stable.O unless a AV program decides to snack on its important files.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.