What is your Registry Defrag/Compact/Compress tool of choice?

Discussion in 'polls' started by guest, Jul 8, 2011.

?

What is your Registry Defrag/Compact/Compress tool of choice?

1. Eusing Free Registry Defrag

4.2%
  2. Auslogics Registry Defrag

11.5%
  3. Quicksys RegDefrag

1.0%
  4. WinASO RegDefrag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. PageDefrag

5.2%
  6. WinMend Registry Defrag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Simnet Registry Defrag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Elcor Registry Defragmentation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ainvo Registry Defrag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. WinUtilities Free Registry Defrag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. AceLogiX Registry Compactor

1.0%
  12. Digeus Registry Defragmenter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Rose City Registry Compressor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Little Registry Optimizer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. iExpert Free Registry Defrag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Ainvo Registry Defrag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Other specific Registry Defrag/Compact/Compress tool

13.5%
  18. Other tool bundled with different features

10.4%
  19. None

53.1%
  1. guest

guest Guest

@Hungry Man

Not exactly 1MB. That depends on the number of programs you install/uninstall. There can be much larger gains.

BTW, I too wouldn't bother with this sort of thing if I was running a relatively good computer, but this old setup I'm stuck with until my 'new' HP laptop comes back from HP repair (after getting too hot it stopped working, LOL), requires me to tweak everything I can in order to be able to squeeze every bit of performance.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Much larger gains? Like... 2 megabits?

If your computer were to crash during a registry defrag I would imagine there could be serious issues afterwards. I wouldn't suggest it to someone because the gains are virtually nonexistent.

However, Auslogics has other functions that I would consider useful.

3. guest

guest Guest

You gained more than 4MB of RAM.
    And it isn't a dangerous procedure when you use "tried-and-proved" tools. The only issue I've ever heard of with compressing registry hives was the disablement of the Quick Launch (solved with two mouse clicks) - and this doesn't happen with the best tools.

4. Hungry Man

4,200Kb is about .5MB

edit: And crashes can happen for a million reasons.

edit2: But please, feel free to call for my ban because of "misinformation."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. guest

guest Guest

Damm, couldn't you make it easier to understand by stating 4,2 Kb. The way you stated looked like 4200KB (4 1/5 Megabytes). Give me a break dude, I'm without my contact lens :D

And crashes can happen for a million reasons, but considering that registry defrag has such a low risk, I'm willing to do it now and then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011
  6. Hungry Man

4.2kb, 4200kb, either way it's a half megabyte of RAM

honestly, I doubt anyone could possibly save 2MB of RAM unless all they do all day for a year is uninstall and reinstall new programs

edit: and the low risk is literally the possibility of corrupting a core feature of your operating system

random disk failure, power surges, whatever... is .5MB of RAM really worth risking your entire operating system?

7. guest

guest Guest

Yes, it is (but that's not exactly what I saved here).

Never had any issues, never saw anyone having issues with it. Some people just like to have things as tidy as possible.

You are at greater risk running an AV that, because of a bad update, can start detecting an essential system file as malware, even deleting it sometimes.

8. Hungry Man

That's a whole other conversation, I don't even run an AV lol how can anyone who cares about .5MB of RAM also run an AV?

Regardless, I feel that I've said my piece as best I can. Defragmenting and/or cleaning the registry will save you mere Kb's of RAM. Unless your computer is from the 1960's... you should be just fine without that .5MB of RAM.

9. guest

guest Guest

dude, you can save much more than 0.5MB of RAM with a registry defragmentation. Do some searches on Google images to see some screenshots of other systems running this kind of tool.

If you installed and uninstalled software with some regularity, you would know the difference.

10. Hungry Man

So... 2MB?

How much do you save?

edit: I would be very surprised if your registry were somehow over 4x as "fragmented" as mine.

11. guest

guest Guest

Fact is I don't know how much I saved/save, here it is done whenever some hive gets more than 10% fragmented.

12. Hungry Man

13. guest

guest Guest

Thanks, already edited. :oops:

Anyways, the argument of people that just like to have things as tidy as possible is still valid.

14. Hungry Man

Why?

5chara

15. guest

guest Guest

Probably some sort of compulsion rofl. You want to be sure that every bit of performance is being squeezed from your system.

Edit: what's 5chara ?

16. Hungry Man

I guess. But a lot of these programs are pay-only, and I think that charging people for .5MB of RAM is criminal.

People on Wilders should understand that at most they will free up 2MB of RAM... that is being incredibly INCREDIBLY positive. Like years of installing programs.

Now, I don't mind freeing up .5MB of RAM, but I'm sure as hell not paying for it and I'm sure as hell not keeping a program around just to free it up. Especially when, as unlikely as it may seem, you can potentially wreck your entire operating system.

17. guest

guest Guest

I too think it's wrong to charge for it. That's why I use a freeware for doing this task and that's probably why (I guess most people think the same on this matter) there are so many freeware options available. As for the risks, well, some people actually like the thrilling. LOL

18. Hungry Man

K, well you should make that clear rather than accusing me of spreading false information. I think through this topic it's already been quite clear to see that the benefits are meager at best, however the first post doesn't reflect this and most people aren't going to read the entire topic.

19. guest

guest Guest

Well, it actually increases performance, even if you feel it is "neglibible". It's not a bad performance myth, so it doesn't deserve to be considered one.

This is a very compreenshive list of optimization myths and you will find registry defragging there with a green "Improves Performance" mark: http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html#Optimization

20. Hungry Man

Yes, I feel that .5MB is negligible. Even in a case of 10% fragmentation that led to 1.4MB I feel this is negligible.

21. guest

guest Guest

You feel, others might not. The gains are variable in numbers and in feelings.

Here we are again with the pie/cake thing. ROFL.

22. Hungry Man

I think that most people assume their are more performance gains to be had than a mere .5MB. I think it should be made clear to them.

23. guest

guest Guest

I say, let them try these tools (at least the "analyze" options) and see for themselves if the possible gain is something that matters.

24. Hungry Man

These tools profit because people see the marketing only. Honestly, you should feel responsible when making a topic about them to provide the (accurate) information that goes along with them.

I think I've pretty much proven that you'll only ever see about 1~MB of RAM increase from using a program like this. I'm not going to tell you that you need to edit your first post, but you should consider it your responsibility.

25. guest

guest Guest

I made an edit, see if it looks and feels OK for you now. hahaha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.