What is your favorite desktop web browser, in the year 2016?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2016.

?

What is your favorite desktop web browser, in the year 2016?

1. Microsoft Internet Explorer

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Microsoft Edge

12 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Google Chrome

53 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Mozilla Firefox

66 vote(s)
    38.4%
  5. Apple Safari

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Opera

8 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. Vivaldi

11 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Avant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mozilla SeaMonkey

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. K-Meleon

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  11. Maxthon

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  12. Other web browser (Not listed)

34 vote(s)
    19.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

As if the USA were very clear and coherent.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

3. ohgood

ohgood Registered Member

Same here, for me - Chrome just works, and works well, for me, on my system.

But, I'm rooting for Brave! I am very supportive of a different ad/financial model for the net. Brave is trying micropayments to content providers. I'm very concerned about the inherent conflicts of 'brave new world' :confused:! Without proper protection, the net is often unusable do to ads, malware, etc., yet content providers must be compensated. And, dammit, I want privacy & security! Really, what a time we live in!

https://brave.com/
    https://brave.com/publishers.html

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

My favourite Linux browser (Ubuntu) is Firefox. At the moment my favourite Android browser is Firefox as well. If that counts lol.

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Still using Firefox v27.0.1 best version ever, it was all downhill since then. I spoof my useragent string to allow me to keep using sites that would otherwise not support the browser that old and also to use addons I wouldn't be able to otherwise use like ABE, NoScript, etc... which I use old versions of.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Have you considered using palemoon by any chance.?

7. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I use the ESR version of Firefox. I've gone from 24 to 38 to 45. I don't just use one browser. At the moment I'm using Opera 12, Firefox, Seamonkey, Opera 41 stable, Opera 43 developer, Chrome, and Vivaldi on a regular basis. There is not one browser that works for everything. I recently had a site that wouldn't render on Vivaldi render perfectly on Opera 12, go figure. I don't find Firefox's security problematical at all even without a sandbox. I mostly use it as a client for specific sites I log on to and limit and block Javascript and ads. I only use Chrome as a client for Google apps so the sandbox is irrelevant to my use of it. For casual browsing, I use Opera 12 as much as possible. Nothing like switching to user mode to get rid of bad web design and letting me read the text I'm interested in without distraction. It has that and many other useful features that still work years after active support has ended. Opera developer with the VPN on gets the sites that don't work in Opera 12 and that isn't very many. Opera stable and Vivaldi get used for Facebook and links from Facebook. Regardless of the browser, I always have a script blocker and ad blocker and only vetted sites get to run JS and frames. Seamonkey gets used instead of Firefox at times. It still uses Gecko and is the last real power browser that is actively supported. Firefox has better extension support but the important ones, Noscript, Adblock plus, uBlock origin and uMatrix all work in Seamonkey.

8. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I use it only for a couple of favorite sites, too many websites are not rendered correctly anymore. But I currently have 60 tabs open in Opera 12, with a total RAM usage 739MB, go try to do that with Firefox or Chrome.

Yes exactly, but FF needs to be improved a lot though. I can not call it my favorite browser. I hope that the new version will get a faster browser engine, and the bookmarks manager should be tab based.

So what are you saying, will this make FF bloated? My point was that there are plenty ways to secure a browser, think of anti-exe/exploit, sandbox, and ad-blockers will also do wonders.

Yes I use SBIE to protect FF. I don't care about Chrome being superior when it comes to security, browser features are way more important.

10. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I was a huge Firefox fan since the days of IE7. But starting with V4 onwards, I tried a couple of other browsers including Palemoon and other firefox forks but slowly and gradually moved on to Chrome. I was initially very reluctant to make the switch given how attached I was to certain extensions like NoScript, ABP, Tree Style Tab to name a few. However, I gave Chrome the chance as I was impressed by the efforts from the Chrome team in securing the browser and the speed advantage it showed on my machine(s) back then.

With no Tree Style Tab add-on and higher RAM usage, I learnt to reduce my tab hoarding habit and reconsidered my essential extensions. Nowadays, I am mostly on Chrome on the desktop space while I use Firefox on Android.

I am very open to the idea of switching browsers whenever something fits my needs better. But for 2016, I would have to give it to Chrome. Hoping to see if that will change in 2017 and 2018...

11. guest

guest Guest

typical answer from a security geek,

1-how many Average Joe use sanboxie or else ? very very very few

2- how many Average Joe use chrome ? many

3- which one between the geek or Average Joe is more prone to be infected via browser? the Average Joe.

Rule 1 in every product in the world: make it safe first, then you can add whatever fancy things you want.

Simple Logic.

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Wrong, focus on both security and ease of use. FF is less secure, but I have never been hacked. And I was talking about my own point of view, this thread isn't about other people. But Chrome isn't good enough for me. Vivaldi was promising, but the Chromium framework is just too heavy.

13. guest

guest Guest

Never grasped the Vivaldi hype. It's a visually "pretty" browser that's sluggish even on high-end PC specs.

14. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

It's aimed at the user base of Opera 12. It hasn't worked out as a replacement for it but it is still a nicely configurable Chromium based browser. Outside of that user base, it's appeal is probably pretty limited but I might be wrong. Not everyone is so fond of the minimalist Chome design.

I don't find it sluggish. I filter out a lot of unnecessary content and excessive scripting so nothing is sluggish for me. I'm using it for Facebook which is the champion of excessive javascript bloat and it performs equally with the latest versions of Opera and Chrome.

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've been running Vivaldi on Win 7 and I find it is as fast as Maxthon at least. It certainly isn't sluggish. I ran it on Ubuntu two years ago and it was fast then. Vivaldi was officially two years old on the 27th. I can see Vivaldi being my favourite in 2017.

viv1.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.