what is your current fav distro for linux and fav desktop ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by zfactor, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Distro: none. They all have lots of serious weak points right now, to the point that I don't really feel comfortable with any of them.

Desktop: Currently Windowmaker, because it works with Gnome/KDE applications without getting in the way, and needs less configuration (for me anyway) than Openbox.

I don't really do desktop environments any more, because the performance difference between DEs and the standalone WMs is too huge now; the increased functionality of the full desktop is no longer worth it IMO. Gnome and KDE have just gotten slower and slower over the last few years, and the interfaces have gotten less and less friendly. Even Xfce is getting pretty heavy in the newer versions.

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

ubuntu dont have spyware its amazon ...etc adv which are so called also ubuntu track which can be disable if user like but in ubuntu LTS no such things so you can go with LTS and linux mint 13 with 5 years support they are pretty easy to use

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

this what they are talking about

3. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Laptop - Right now Sabayon + Mate desktop is my favorite. Had Linux Mint Maya LTS on it for a few months but experienced intermittent system freezes that were very very frustrating.

Sabayon - based on Gentoo and is a rolling distro. Much simpler to manage than, say, Archlinux (which I've had for couple of years but got tired of the endless tinkering and upgrade failures/ruined system). Sabayon holds your both hands nicely but without being too intrusive.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Favorite distro: Bodhi Linux. I always return to that distro.

Favorite desktop: gnome 2.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Ubuntu is my fav distro, due to good balance of performance, up to date packages, stability, support and available variants (as I used Ubuntu for server and desktop usage).

My current favourite desktop is Unity, not because of the UI design, but because of the packaged apps work best for me.

Cheers, Nick

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

thing about unity i didnt like is it doesnt appear to let me change anything really. the desktop is what it is or am i wrong? i could find very little in the way of changing the desktop without adding other packages etc...correct me if im wrong i only had a small amount of time spent checking it out.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Unity is not very customizable out of the box.
    i just don't care at all for the toy-like launcher that's on the left side.

if you like a more traditional desktop you could wait for gnomebutu, coming this month.

or go for another desktop, like KDE, XFCE etc...

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Wouldn't Gnomebuntu use Gnome 3? I don't know if I'd call that a more traditional desktop...

Also you could just install it to your current distro rather than waiting for and installing a new distro.

9. moontan

well, more traditional than the Unity stuff i would hope. ;)

might be worth a look; Gnomebuntu will be a official fork from Canonical and not a community project.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

linux mint is pretty nice. there are just SO MANY versions of linux to choose from seriously how does one test all these distros lol..

11. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Boredom, addiction, etc.

12. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I forgot to add my favorite Linux desktop. It's Unity - as long as the hardware specs are good. When they aren't, Xfce is my favorite.

13. moontan

i must've tried at least 20 different distros in the last month.
    but i think i am pretty much done with distro hopping at the moment.
    i hope .lol :D

projects that interest me this year are elementary OS and Manjaro.
    i'm sure there will be a few surprises this year.

14. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

my fav is scientific linux secound i use is ubuntu but i also like fuduntu so maybe i switch form SL to fuduntu fedora rolling and redhat base distro are my fav for stability and quality but yes they are old style if you can live with that they are best my second fav are ubuntu base so my is suggestion try 3-4 and see what suits you and go for it :D

15. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

I've been using Kubuntu for over a year now, and it works for me. What else to say.

Jim

16. ussyrsu

ussyrsu Registered Member

Crunchbang 11 with Openbox

17. moontan

re-trying Xubuntu 12.10 at the moment.

it runs a little lighter than Mint XFCE.
    i also like that you can edit the Menu.

only 'bug' i found is some mouse theme issues.
    the mouse theme works in some apps and not others.

the solution is to edit your /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme and modify the second line as such:

[Icon Theme]
    Inherits=LCD-Dark

... where "LCD-Dark" in this example is my mouse theme

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.