What is your boot time?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, Jan 23, 2014.

?

How long does it take to boot your computer?

1. 0-9 seconds

17 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. 10-19 seconds

19 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. 20-39 seconds

22 vote(s)
    26.8%
  4. 40-59 secoinds

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. 1minute - 1 minute 20 seconds

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. 1 minute 20 seconds - 1 minute 40 seconds

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. 2 minutes

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. 3 minutes

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. more than 5 minutes

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. I don't want to participate in this poll but let me view the results.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I have no doubt though if I didn't have all those hurdles in place and no PW's it would take no more than 10 seconds from the time I turned on my computer till everything on my desktop was up and quick launch was functional. And probably 20 more seconds until the activity light stopped flashing heavily.

But I still wait a few minutes before using my computer just to make sure everything has had ample time to load up. I've come to find that DEP sometimes take a little bit to kick in. I'm not sure if that holds true with EMET, I only use it natively. I've gone into "Startup and recovery" quickly before after booting to see that the drop down list under "default operating system" was blank. I don't know for sure that meant DEP hadn't initialized yet, but it was enough to make me cautious and wait a few minutes from then on to use my box. And I also noticed that if you edit that notepad file and reboot your computer, if you look at it quickly the old setting is still there, it takes a bit for it to show the modification. So stuff like that made me learn patience with booting.

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

'Boot time definition on this poll equals the time from which the monitor turns on to the time that you see full Windows/Linux/Mac desktop including all the menus."

A couple of seconds. I just wiggle the mouse or tap the Alt key. I bit longer if the screen is locked.

5. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Around 25 seconds.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have not timed mine. :D

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Actually it's to short to measure.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

LOL, I think he meant when the machine cold boots. Mine is fast enough, didn't bother measuring.

9. x942

x942 Guest

My dev laptop (HP Elitebook) boots Ubuntu 13.10 in 8 seconds with Full disk encryption.

My Desktop computer running windows 8.1 boots in 10 seconds with BestCrypt WDE and 5 seconds without encryption.

My MacBook Pro boots Mac os X in ~30 Seconds off of an external HDD (not encrypted) and boots Ubuntu 13.10 (encrypted again) in about 20 seconds (mostly because of the slow EFI searching for an HFS+ partition - silly apple).

Before I get asked I run Max on an External HDD because I only need it for developing apps on Mac which doesn't happen often enough to justify a dual boot.:thumb:

10. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

7 seconds on my Asus Chromebook w/ 4 gig memory, 32 gig SSD.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My desktop is messed up. After installing and uninstalling AV software (EAM --> BD --> EAM) the OS now takes forever to shutdown and boot. :rolleyes:

12. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Re-image.

13. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Under one minute around 50 sec or so..

14. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

8 seconds from power button to desktop fully loaded. Win 7 x64. 840 Evo's in RAID 0 with RAPID mode enabled.

edit: cell phone auto correct fail

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  15. guest

guest Guest

The question is why-oh-why did you try BD while EAM already has it included? EAM is better anyway, hopefully Emsisoft will acquire all of Bitdefender's properties someday.

Anyway, since I'm not running any third-party proactive security software at all my boot time now is even faster! :D

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have no image.

Well it was cheap and my EAM license was about to expire in 5 months so i thought it would be a good idea. WRONG! :D
    Now $10 down the drain and ill probably renew my current EAM + OA licenses. (Internet Security Pack)

I might give the BD licenses to some relatives to try. Guinea pigs. :rolleyes: :D

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No please don't do that. :p

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Why not get one? I suggest Macrium Reflect or Drive snapshot or both.

That would be a good idea. There are always great deals on EAM and OA.

Oh how mean! Giving relatives trouble.:argh: Behave now Noob.:D

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh come on i cant just dump my 10 bucks.
    I mean BD Total security for 2 years! They shouldnt complain. :D :D

I usually just reformat my PC although it takes much longer.
    Even with Windows messed up it still boots faster than when i used W7 LOL
    Now my only "real" issue is shutting down, it takes like 2-3 mins to shut down ALL THE TIME. Something must be really messed up.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh they will. Just look at what you did after using it for such a short time.:argh:

But that's a hassle. You could save lots of time and effort by using Macrium Reflect or Drive Snapshot. This would offer tons of advantages over your preferred way. Like you could restore to a recent known safe image without having to go through all the hassles of installing and tweaking the software, settings every time. You could have restored to an image with the latest teaks but without Bitdefender. You could try out any software and no matter how much they mess up your OS you could always restore to the last good setup. Just try it Noob. Trust me an imaging app saves your a$$ big time.

Only because your Windows 8 is set to use Fast startup aka Fast boot. You can read more here hxxp://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-windows-8-hybrid-shutdown-fast-boot-feature-works/

Why lose time in investigating the cause, finding a remedy and bearing the 2-3 min of frustration. Go for reformatting and start using an imaging software. :)

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I did use imaging software a few years ago and loved it but i dont remember why i stooped using them. :D

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well I tried my best to convince you Noob. The rest up to you.:D

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now i remember why i stopped using them. It was because i didnt have enough HDD space and i still dont do.

Anyways, ill install an imaging software and give it a try again. Formatting my PC today. :D

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great then you can try BD again when you have a fresh image to roll back on :D

Yeah 2-3 min shutdown time sounds very annoying and something is clearly not right :)

25. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I looked at the poll options and noticed it starts from 0s. Suddenly, my creative juice figured out how to get to that figure. No need for hardware or OS upgrade. Just don't boot your PC at all. How simple is that? You can thank me later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.