What is with the update server for avg 8.0 free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb9, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

seems there is another major update from8.0.169 free but it keeps failing and when asked to open their website it doesn't open either. All other websites open.

anyone else seeing this problem?

robin

2. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Worked fine here although I have had a day or two a couple of weeks ago when it refused to update.

Running on Vista, command line install, no linkscanner, so far working well overall.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robin9, it took me 12 minutes at 72 kbps (on a broadband connection no less) to download the entire 49 MB program last night. If 70+ million people were attempting to do the same thing, no wonder the servers and their Web site were overloaded!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

if they had that many customers I guess that could be the problem.. but means they don't guess there servers just ran out of capacity.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Fajo, the AVG Free servers have always been historically slow, for a reason. If we want AVG to provide faster program and virus definition downloads, we have got to pay for the Paid version!

A couple of days wait for a good, FREE AV program won't hurt anyone.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

ROFL never said it would hurt anyone. Avira's Free Servers are the exact same way. my comment was against the 70million people. nothing more. :D and in my view paying for a Awesome AV program beats the headache of having to wait for its free counter part

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

AVG makes it a point to state that figure in their Logo so I just ran with that figure. Are you doubting that it is not true? ;)

I agree 100% that paying is the way to go to obtain a full working program, however, we also need to keep in mind those Internet users who do not have the money, yet are desperate to keep their PCs safe. That's where a Free version really plays an important part IMO.

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If you have the money to pay your broadband bill you should have the cash to help keep your computer safe.. tho that's just IMO.

Also just for the comment of I don't believe them is this from there official site.
    so in all reality with corporate market and with the avg home having 3+ computers brings that number around to prob 15-25 Million people give or take. tho just like for every AV Company I can think of. PATCH DAY SUCKS! :cautious:

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Slow is ok. Not working and having users not up to date is not.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

EliteKiller, those 2 sites are excellent suggestions. I tried FileHippo yesterday and it was slower than AVG. Never thought about MajorGeeks; thanks!

FYI to all.
    Although the AVG Free Download Page shows a main CNET Download.com link, there were previous versions (not the new one, so far) coming from there that were found to be corrupted, according to some AVG forum posters. Be aware of that if AVG starts having problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.