What is the fastest imaging app?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by raakii, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I have been using drive snapshot , its fairly fast.I have also tried shadow protect but it is slower .

I feel that many members of this forum use different softwares for backup.

Is there any software faster than Drive snapshot?

Wat abt IFW, easybackup , norton ghost , paragon ,ATI and other drive imaging apps in terms of speed.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

From all the posts i've read in the past it seems to me that the fastest imaging app varies from system to system. For example many people on here find that shadowprotect works fastest on there system. However on my system true image backs up quicker than shadowprotect. I don't know exactly why, maybe something to do with different hardware configurations or something.

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

for me shadow protect is way slower than DS more slower than shadow protect is paragon.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

To get the job done in whichever time it take,is always better then a reinstall. :D

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I'm having a problem with imaging encrypted drives. Shadow Protect is by far the fastest on my machines but will not restore an encrpted drive. Acronis 11 as Bart PE works but is a bit slow. I did try a demo I think of Drive Snapshot but couldn't get it to restore. does the demo allow restores ?

Tried it just now and get error unmounting volume - last windows error: 5 -Access is denied when I try to restore C: from within windows

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

drivesnapshot on the bartpe cd should allow you to restore.
    shadow protectdesk and drive snapshot are definatly the fastest imaging apps.

8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

As Lodore said, putting the DS executable on a bootable environment, I use UDB, will allow for active partition restoring. The demo lasts for 30 days. It is well worth the purchase.

I can backup and validate my active partition, which is 3 gb, in just under three minutes. That accounts for encryption being on. It is without a doubt faster than anything else I've tried.

Also, this might not be relevant, the UBD environment boot up a lot faster for me than the Shadow Protect environment.

9. Long View

am downloading UDB right now. What encryption prgram are you using ?
    does drivesnapshot do sector by sector imaging - which I think is required to image an encrypted drive ?

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, I don't really know. I use Acronis version 8 (presumably simpler, fewer options than in the latest versions), have a Windows XP Home Edition system, and use a bit less than 6 GB of my harddrive. Few, if any, seriously compressed files. Restoring an image, using a bootable cd-r, and an external harddisk, the process of restoring the full image takes about 10 minutes. Compression rate: normal.

11. raakii

raakii Registered Member

For me restoring a drive snapshot back up around 3.5 gb (for 5.5 gb data)takes 4 minutes time (normally i use the os on other partition) and i use active boot disk 4 for bare metal restore.

12. n8chavez

There is no need for another encryption program. Simply use a password when created DS images for 256 AES encryption.

From the DS Site:

and....

Attached Files:

• DS1.png
      DS1.png
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Long View

Thanks - we seem to be talking about different things here. I need to use whole drive encryption so that C: is encrypted ( PGP, TrueCrypt, etc) I prefer DriveCrypt Plus. I can encrypt C: with Drive Crypt plus and make a sector by sector image with Acronis but it is a bit slow. Hopefully Drive Snapshot will be quicker especially with UDB

14. n8chavez

Ah, my apologies. At least the second part of my above opst is relevant to you. DS does sector-by-sector imaging, which is what you need. However, I cannot atest to its speed.

15. Long View

Thanks especially for UDB. using UDB and the DS Image I have just made a sector by sector image - unfortunately too slow. took 8 mins for sector rather than 2 min 16 ordinary. Acronis 11 is twice as fast making this type of image.
    with a non encrypted drive shadow protect images in 1 min 3 seconds and the boot disk time is much faster also.

16. fce

fce Registered Member

RollbackRx8.1 snapshot for 5secs...

100GB/250GB HDD for 30mins...

after you're done with imaging, you can browse that image and look for a particular file (no need to restore the whole image).

17. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Rollaback rx cannot replace a disk imaging software tough the software is pretty good too, but i dont require isrs .
    IS there any isr that does not require a pre-os (not mbr changing)and does need any extra time to load like [fd-isr] and yet has the speed of rollbackr rx during restore .

18. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

:D :D :D
    No arguement that RB is lightening fast, but I don't think raakii was asking about 'instant restore' apps in his OP.

For a disk-imaging app my vote for the fastest one goes to DS (for both backups and restores). However, ymmv depending on the specific system, as farmerlee indicated. ;)

19. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Not after dismissing those that modify the MBR (but dream on). ;)

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

DriveSnaphot 4 me is proven the absolute FASTEST imaging app as well as restoring. Not only that, it has not exhibited a single, not even slightest issue in all the images/restores i've made use of it with.

In other words, it's proven 100% effective 100% of each and every time i've used it. It's more than made my investment in it a quality choice.

EASTER

21. n8chavez

I completely agree. I would qualify that by saying that DS can be slower when restoring, but that would be because of of the user's choice of bootable restore media. My choice is UBD, and it is not the fastest. As far as creating the images DS is the fastest without a doubt. I am able to create images of my active partition (2.4 GB) in a little more than two minutes....yes two minutes.

Freakin' sweet!!!

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

markymoo is been my very last hope of ever regaining confidence in DOS command-line technicals again in his wonderfully & brilliant program DRIVE SNAP for the beautiful imager DriveSnapshot

Adding such useful and super functionality to an already stellar app as DS just increases the confidence a DS customer/user can rely on with it.

Their won't be much the critics can offer to throw cold water on both his development or DS after it proves itself out to be a real Gem of such a stupidly tiny but MAMMOTH reliable & respectful backup imaging app such as it's growing to be.

EASTER

23. n8chavez

Well that's just not fair EASTER. I can't use the frontend; no time-allowable version exists. Yet, you keep teasing me... :'(

24. doctorow

doctorow Registered Member

My vote also goes to DriveSnapshot.

I'd like to add the following tidbit: When you choose to encrypt your image files with Drivecrypt, those files are actually fully encrypted byte-by-byte using the AES cipher. I know from experience that at least in the past, some other competing products weren't actually encrypting the images, but only applying a password to the header data, which could easy be bypassed. The reason I am mentioning this is because it's astonishing how fast DS is despite the fact that it's doing full encryption/decryption of the image files. :D

25. Long View

For me DS is fast but no faster than SP. The problem is not the time it takes to make or restore an image but the time it takes for the CD to boot. Those who say DS is fast - how long does it take for your cd to boot to allow DS to restore ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.