WHat is the difference between MBAM and an AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Osaban, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

The difference is becoming more and more clouded as the av vendors widen the scope of they types of malware they detect:-I remember years ago that some used to complain/comment on the fact that Nod didn't detect trojans whilst other "avs" did:-nods answer was simple"nod is an anti-virus" that was when the demarcation between av and anti-trojan was clear:-to be honest there are no av products nowadays they are all "anti-malware" to a lesser or greater degree

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

i said most,

we will have to disagree then i suppose,

ive tried loads over the years, the latest variations too, now while it may be a big thing for you guys on here, its certainly a fire-starter in the topics of wilders threads, and for MBAM as thats their buisiness model, but dont kid yourself to believe this is high priority for the rest of the world and for av companys.

there are more important stuff to detect.

3. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

Many signatures released by AV vendors will catch multiple variants of the same threat - I know some McAfee sigs do this.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you want to criticize the use of my terminology, go right ahead, what I meant is that it is customary nowadays for many video testers and others to use MBAM to check what has been left behind.

I do apologize for even using the acronym BS, but again it was referred to the methodology and not directly at MBAM, if you care to read all my posts I have said several times that I respect and believe MBAM is a top application in its field.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you can't accept a little bit of humor, I must have really upset you! If my computer gets infected or destroyed it is not the end of the world. Being lucky or unlucky implies very serious matters, certainly not an infected computer.

6. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Thats because AVs and MBAM are different types of security software. This has been beaten to death for 3 pages now and you keep asking the same question.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I see this as a personal attack. I have been long enough at Wilders, and I don't think I deserve such a label simply because I asked how some tests are conducted.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You never seem to miss an opportunity to miss the opportunity to add anything substantial to any topic, by the way this is not your thread.

9. whitedragon551

To bad I gave you the answer on the 18th post of this topic which has also been the same one for 3 pages. I guess everyone else hasnt provided anything substantial to this discussion either.

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Tenure and post count mean nothing if you cannot comprehend a topic that has been discussed on more than one occasion over the past year. Let's not forget that the differences have been spelled out on more than one occasion in this thread alone yet you choose to ignore them. IMO it's a vile attempt at trolling.

11. whitedragon551

Hey Im the one here who hasnt contributed anything substantial even though I stated the same thing everyone else did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.