what is the difference between fd-isr and rollback rx?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by sach1000rt, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I've been using sandboxie for about a month now and haven't seen anything disappear but I'll watch for it. I use powershadow because it was free and I know about the MBR situation. It works in limited user mode and has no conflicts with my other security software and plays nice with FDISR. Comodo FW is coming out with a version 3 that will be way better and I'm holding out for that before I redo my system. I'd like to get the anti executable but I feel pretty safe without it with my setup and fee like it's a bit overkill. What script blocking program did you settle on? I still don't see rollback rx as an option over FDISR as speed and space are not an issue with me yet.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use ScriptDefender, which isn't really a security software, it's more a warning software that requires my 'wrong' yes or no.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

What i like best about AE is the WHITELIST!/BLACKLIST! feature and it does work like a charm. Yes, it takes additional time to configure new programs into it's database but nothing out-of-the-ordinary then any other security program.

Overkill, perhaps, but if you really want a Controlled Inventory of allowed programs, this baby is the ticket to a tightly controlled Windows environment.

Only problem, is that according to Peter2150 it doesn't cooperate very well with FD-ISR.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Easter

Have you noticed anything with the two.

Pete

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not particularly.

Hi Pete.

Since your suggestion i haven't bothered to combine them at all. Prefer to play it safe.

6. Peter2150

I thought you were running FDISR?

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I do, but on another LARGER Hard Drive. Being overly cautious with software programs these days, especially security ones, i installed AE to a drive without FD. I really not attempted to combine the two but was my understanding they didn't gel. Is this right?

8. Peter2150

They didn't for me. I mean they ran together, but FDISR spent much time getting ready to copy. Dangest part was even if AE was disabled it was still a problem. That was an eye opener. You might test it. Just pay attention to your run times.

Pete

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not likely. If it can make for issues, even a slight one, then no sense doing something that might cost extra time to try to correct, right?

More On Topic:

I'm 100% sold and completely satisfied with FD-ISR results even now that RollBackRx is moving forward with their own flavor of innovation in this department.

But remember too. Leapfrog is a very well coordinated group of skilled developers in this field, and we can expect even more advancements coming from that camp at some point in time.

I think Rollback's jump to sonic-speed features like they've done with this latest version is a plus for them AND US. And was sorely needed to restore confidence again in that program.

But for now, FD-ISR still remains the chief rollback operation on this end of the internet spectrum.

10. biatche

biatche Registered Member

I see that a lot here do a combo of

FDISR + PowerShadow / ShadowDefense? / Sandboxie

May I ask why? Doesn't FDISR have the capability to restore all configuration after each reboot?

And... wouldn't Deep Freeze achieve the same thing?

Also, if my above understanding is wrong, mind recommending me an ideal setup for cybercafe operations?

11. Peter2150

Combination of speed and space. I use shadowdefender for simple things like say when I watch a movie onlne, and it downloads it's own player. True I could use FDISR, but Shadowdefender with just a reboot is quicker. It also provides a layer on top of sandboxie. Again true FDISR could do it alone, but again difference in speed.

12. fce

fce Registered Member

how about try the speed of Rollback Rx. ;)

13. Peter2150

Yep, it's faster, but any speed advantage gained there goes down the drain with what I had to do for reliable imaging. In the end the imaging ease was more beneficial to me then Rollback.

14. biatche

biatche Registered Member

I'm a bit confused Peter, but how does the combo provide speed? How does shadowdefender make it faster?

15. fce

fce Registered Member

IMO, imaging feature of Rollback Rx is more reliable compare to ATI10...and that is base on my actual experience after i do bare metal recovery using Rollback Rx 8.1 and ATI10....don't know yet with SP though.

16. Peter2150

No. What I am talking about is what I have to do to image. With FDISR, I just image. With Rollback I had to update the baseline, throwing away snapshots, and then I had to boot from the recovery environment. The imaging from windows didn't work. Rollbacks imaging is a non solution for me as the recovery environment doesn't work for me. Also as you discovered you have to reinstall Rollback. That is stupid. At least when I upgraded the baseline, and imaged with SP from the recovery environment, I got back what I imaged.

Just for me personally, imaging is more important the Rollback, and any time saved by Rollback was lost in what I had to do to image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.